I dont want to be a quitter anymore.....I need you ladies of inspiration

Options
So im three weeks into zumba core fitness and every time I try to kock it up a notch when living a healthy lifestyle I always somewhere down the line quit. I lost 60pds at the most alone no pills of weightloss fads just pure cardio. I felt great!! Then depression hit me lile midnight train and I gained it all back. I have lost two pounds and 9" inches all over body weight. Which is awesome. Ive been eating healthy and drinking water. I have been doing zumba core and now im trying to kick it up a notch to insanity. Lol ok up 5 notches. I need you to really put yourself in my shoes... I have like fourn jillian dads and the second insanity edition that came out and t-25 and hip hop abs. I have not stuck to anything and have never gotten thru week on on insanity or t-25 I have early arthritis in knees but I feel my excuse isnt good enough. I run out of energy quickly, so i bought my whey protein yesterday. I really want to do this guys I neeed your help in tips motivation and swift kick in the butt. I can do this but yesterday I cried after doing my day one. What to do.

Replies

• RecRunnerInMA
    RecRunnerInMA Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I totally get it. I lost a bunch of weight a couple of years ago but I've been slowly putting it back on. I'm trying to get back into a healthy rhythm and repeat what I did last time but it's been tough because I travel a lot for work and my hours are unpredictable. I'm happy to cheer you on!
  • fitmartymart
    fitmartymart Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I'm looking for motivation and support also. The DVD's your using are pretty intense and high impact! Maybe start with something a little lower and work up, don't set yourself up for failure. I know you did it before but it's like starting over again. I have heart issues and tried the insanity (it's called that for a reason)! I had to accept I can't do that and move on to something else. I want to loose weight, exercise more and be happy with myself again. Let's do this together.

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't recommend insanity if you have bad knees, there's LOOOOOADS of squatting and jumping.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    imsoome wrote: »
    So im three weeks into zumba core fitness and every time I try to kock it up a notch when living a healthy lifestyle I always somewhere down the line quit. I lost 60pds at the most alone no pills of weightloss fads just pure cardio. I felt great!! Then depression hit me lile midnight train and I gained it all back. I have lost two pounds and 9" inches all over body weight. Which is awesome. Ive been eating healthy and drinking water. I have been doing zumba core and now im trying to kick it up a notch to insanity. Lol ok up 5 notches. I need you to really put yourself in my shoes... I have like fourn jillian dads and the second insanity edition that came out and t-25 and hip hop abs. I have not stuck to anything and have never gotten thru week on on insanity or t-25 I have early arthritis in knees but I feel my excuse isnt good enough. I run out of energy quickly, so i bought my whey protein yesterday. I really want to do this guys I neeed your help in tips motivation and swift kick in the butt. I can do this but yesterday I cried after doing my day one. What to do.

Why do you need to do this and be so hard on yourself? You are being active and you are changing your diet? Why not continue what you are doing?
  • PrimalJillian
    PrimalJillian Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    I, too, have had difficulty with sticking with fitness programs. I also lost 70 pounds 5 years ago and kept most of it off until I started a particular medication for mental health a year ago. I gain 50 pounds back in 3 months, and then another 10 over several more months. I'm working steadily towards losing all of this weight again. The steadily part is what has been working for me. What I have found is that I need to let my shifts in exercise and food intake settle into a solid routine before I can move on to the next step, or kick it up a notch. Creating long-lasting habits takes time, so I try to keep that in mind rather than pushing myself to a level that I'm not ready to sustain. I've lost 22 pounds so far, and I plan to keep steadily moving forward. Add me, if you'd like. It sounds like we have similar challenges.

Oh, and on a side note, just because a program says you have to do it every day or x times a week doesn't mean that you have to. If the full recommended amount seems daunting, start with less (whatever feels doable). When you're ready to go for the full program, start back at the beginning and give it all you've got.
  • kaylajane11
    kaylajane11 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    imsoome wrote: »

Why do you need to do this and be so hard on yourself? You are being active and you are changing your diet? Why not continue what you are doing?

This. You are only three weeks in. I understand wanting to "kick it up a notch," but if you try too much too soon you risk injury or burn out. Perhaps trying to go too hard at first is why you have had a hard time sticking with a routine in the past?

Make small changes and work up to more intense exercise slowly. Check out Fitness Blender on YouTube for lots of great, free workouts of different intensities, with modifications for those with joint issues. YouTube also has lots of other free workouts that you can search for.
  • pebbles266
    pebbles266 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Insanity not for everyone I also have a bad knee so watching one video I knew all the jumping from the floor and etc wasn't for me... I think my knees problems has to do with a mixture of my weight and old injury so I do lighter workout... Believe it or not my favorite workout is the old Tae bo by Billy banks... Has 3 levels and 8min workout and gets the job done!
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I injured my knee over 30 years ago and it still gives me problems when I try to do high impact workouts. I can walk and run but jumping is too stressful. You may want to find something with less impact on your knees. What sidelines me is any kind of injury. I injured my foot and gained 9 pounds before I got better.
  • thelizabeff
    thelizabeff Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I think you're too hard on yourself in two ways: You are working yourself to death and then coming down on yourself when it exhausts you. I suggest actually reducing your high impact cardio, increasing your strength/resistance training, and adding in a lot of walking and other low impact cardio. I know weight training can be intimidating for women, but you don't have to rely on a gym or on expensive equipment.

This will sound like marketing, but I swear I'm not involved in the company: I suggest looking at Fitness Blender. They have hundreds of free workouts available on YouTube, plus TONS of free and valuable information. Their beginner videos can help you get started with more strength/resistance training, which helps build muscle for future weight loss maintenance.
  • elaineamj
    elaineamj Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Fitness Blender is awesome - but I miss not having the music. they're definitely in my rotation though - they have great workouts.

I've done the intense stuff and have survived them. But I really don't like them. What's working for me this time around is very very easy wins. I laugh at myself for starting out with super easy cardio and just doing beginner videos, but whatever. I'm actually enjoying my mild workouts and am less likely to skip them. I just tell myself that it's an easy 30 mins, no big deal even if i'm not feeling that into it.

Amazingly enough, this is my 4th week and I'm still happily doing my routine almost every night. I am very slowly and gradually bumping up my intensity, although I am still on beginner workouts. The easy wins have been a big psychological motivation.
  • jordon5799
    jordon5799 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I will happily support you! I have a hard time sometimes too! And I usually do all the at home workouts