Unhealthy relationship with food and limitation. PLEASE HELP!

Options
I could really use some advice, guys.
I've been trying to lose weight for as long as I can remember (but actually ended up gaining weight). Whenever I try to lose weight, I tell myself to only consume the necessary amount of calories, about 12-1300 calories a day. I'll do well for a few days, but before long I'll have polished off a bag of treats, be they cookies, candies or chips. And I'll start the whole thing all over again -- it's become a weekly occurrence.

I really want to lose weight by a certain date because I know if I don't I'll absolutely hate myself. What do I do? I know that if I deprive myself of the treats I love now, I'll eat them with a vengeance later (it's happened MANY times). I also think that if I were to gradually reduce my consumption of the foods I love (say I eat half my normal consumption of my favorite foods) I won't reach my goal in time.

Another thing. I'm not entirely sure if this is true for anybody else, but when I count calories I become obsessed with keeping my consumption below my daily limit. This leads to long binge periods afterwards (which I am currently on), though. It's tough for me to get back on track (if you can really call willingly depriving myself normal) because i don't like feeling limited. I mean after eating giant portions of whatever I want can you really blame for resisting?

I have no idea what I should do. I know that I'm a mess when it comes to diets and weight loss, but I really do want to lose the weight. I feel so *blah* in my skin.

One last thing. I've tried to write everything I ate down, but I would either make an effort to eat healthy (controlled portions of fruit) or I would have a heyday and not write anything down. So, I've never really gotten a clear picture of what I normally eat and how much.

I think the problem with me is my mindset. The moment I put myself on a diet all I think about is deprivation, limitation and restriction. Even if I had enough room in my budge to have a cookie, it's just ONE cookie. I don't like feeling limited -- I think I would do anything to defy it. The same goes with eating around people. When I'm around people I never eat as much as I'd like (because I feel ashamed being the only person to go in for seconds). But I make up for it when I'm alone -- perhaps because I have the freedom to do what I want.

what should I do? How should I go about losing the weight? How do I fix my unhealthy relationship with food and limitation? I know that I have an eating disorder. Please help me! Without a plan in mind I won't know what to do.

Thank you,
Gelormini473

Replies

• GsKiki
    GsKiki Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    You are right, your problem is your mindset. Unfortunately there is no magical way to fix it.
    You need to have a strong motivator to change yourself. Aim to get healthier and fitter, to eat more balanced diet.
    There is no need to restrict your self from anything, as long as you're eating it in moderation.
    Don't think of it as a limitation, think of it as a change of lifestyle, that will bring you healthier you!
    If you start with better diet, and then eat way too much for one day, don't go back to the begining - continue the next day with good diet.

Good luck!
  • KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    You struggle with your "all or nothing" approach. Find a balance that works for you - feel free to add me as a friend if you like, i'm a big believer in balance and I do believe you can "have your cake", and lose weight. I don't have cookies because I can usually only fit in one or two, instead I'll have maybe some honey soy chicken rice crackers (tastes better than the honey soy chips) or instead of scooping ice-cream from the bucket (which makes the portion never seem big enough), i'll have two "stick" ice creams.

If you struggle to see what MFP gives you as a "goal" and not "the limit", perhaps put your settings at maintenance - that way when you start going a little under each day, you aren't doubling down on the deficit. If you set at maintenance then go 300 calories under each day or so, you won't be doing too much.

I'd also choose a slower rate of loss, it'd give you more than 1200-1300 calories each day which means more treats, less deprivation. Yes, you'll lose slower - but it'll be faster than what you're doing now.

You CAN get into it after having a binge - it's like a muscle, the more you do it, the stronger you get!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I could have written this.

I don't think you have an eating disorder (unless there is more to it than you are saying here) - but you do have a difficult relation to food. Nobody likes feeling restricted, we will oppose - but if we want to lose and maintain weight, we have to limit our food intake to some extent. Today's general attitude that we can and should have everything we want, all the time, is not helping us find the balance.

I think you first need to forget the deadline. Losing weight is a slow process, and you can't force it. Time frames, even realistic ones, will just make it harder for you. Yes, you may have to wear a size or two bigger clothes than you would like and not be able to be all-out on your family's skiing holiday (or whatever) THIS year, but if you change some of your habits and stick to them, NEXT year, you'll be enjoying all the benefits of a healthier body and mind, and EVERY year after that.

Next, don't "put yourself on a diet". A diet is what you eat. Dieting is a time limited, restricting way of eating. You should eat in a way that is pleasureable AND healthy, so much so that you want to eat like that for the rest of your life. You have to figure out how to do that, but it can be done.

I think you have to figure out how YOU can be in charge of your eating. Think of some trade-offs - what can you reduce without feeling deprived? What can you add that makes you diet just a little bit better? Tricks to make adhering to your plan easier? Do you even plan your meals? What "messages" do you trust? For instance, I like "later" better than "no". One of my "mantras" is "I can eat anything, but not everything at once, and not all the time". I don't always follow my plan, but I do most of the time, and I don't feel like I've "slipped" when I don't. I just continue. This is a life long process.
  • MentalStudentTherapy
    Options
    Sounds like me.

Your "all or nothing" approach is what's killing your attempts. I had to go to a dietician to learn the same thing about myself. She told me that it's okay to have those treats once in a while. Like, how athletes and body builders will have a "cheat meal," you can, too. Don't go overboard! Moderation is key here.

Keep trying to log your food. It was hard for me, too, it took years to finally get in the grove. And, if you feel like the healthy foods are depriving you, have a small sweet. And I DO mean small. Like, make it a reward system for yourself! For every day you log all three healthy meals, reward yourself with one Hershey kiss, or five potato chips, or half a cookie. It's okay to enjoy these! Just do it sparingly. And make sure that when you retrieve your reward, that you put the rest of what's left away BEFORE indulging. Out of sight, out of mind. Also, eating slowly and savoring it makes it that much more satisfying.

Also, if you go over your calorie count, it's not the end of the world. So long as it's within the general ball park, you'll be fine.

Please send me a friend request. I'd love to work with you and help you, as I know I've had the same issues. Good luck!
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Talk to your mom, or whomever is buying all this junk food.
  • TommyC1234
    TommyC1234 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I used to have to same 'all or nothing' approach. I would goto the gym 6 times a week, stick perfectly to x amount of calories a week and not drink. Then I would get a phone call and end up in the pub on the Friday night (about 2/3 weeks in), 8 pints, a pizza, a fry up the following morning and everything would goto pot. I work away a lot so I would also 'secret eat'.

There is no magic potion unfortunately, the fact of the matter is it WILL take will power and dedication, but you need to give yourself the odd treat along the way and preparation is key.

What I have found works really well for me is preparing in advance for everything. If I got in and the cupboards were bare id be straight on the phone to get a takaway delivered, likewise if I didn't take my lunch to work with me id be straight to Tesco stuffing my face. What I do now is pre prepare my evening meals. I spend a day or the odd evening cooking about 3/4 meals (around 20/30 portions) of food from the hairy bikers diet cook book (sorry if your not in England you might not know this). They are really healthy and tasty, it dosent feel like your on a diet! Things like currys, chillis, chicken dishes, all sorts and are generally around 350-450cals. I freeze them in disposable containers then on a morning take one out to defrost, put it in the oven for 30 mins when I get in while my veg cooks and there you have it. That along with preparing a salad for lunch works a treat. Its a bit of a pain cooking them but once they are done there is no faffing around making your tea for a month.

I also set myself achievable targets, so once I lose X amount I am allowed a takeaway or a treat of some sort. This is the hard part to stick to! Temptation will always be there but stay strong. I enjoy going out on a weekend and im not going to stop myself doing this, but what I have stopped is the pizza at the end of the night and the hungover Chinese the next day! Another tip is to rid the house of junk food, that way the temptation is not there!

Send me a friend request if you like, im more than happy to help you along.

Tommy

• kazminchu
    kazminchu Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Like most of the other replies, you sound just like me. So maybe my experiences could help you.

It definitely is your mindset; never put yourself 'on a diet', as to me that is a temporary (and often overly restrictive) solution. I found as soon as I stopped 'dieting' and just started eating healthier weight started to come off without me really noticing a difference in my quality of life. It's as if the word 'diet' sets off alarm signals in my brain and I immediately enter this thought process that is all about The End, and when I can next binge. Which doesn't help weight loss one bit!

I still struggle with binging now, and I am a secret eater. I actually find that allowing myself slightly fewer calories during the week means that I can go over at the weekend (or whenever there is an event) without it being as bad. For example I visit my parents roughly weekly, and eat until I physically feel sick. For some reason I have no 'off' switch, I just carry on eating. But, having allowed myself fewer calories the rest of the week, my scale generally still heads in the right direction, which is encouraging. I don't know if this would work for you or not, but I find damage limitation easier than trying to avoid binging altogether.

I think if you power through a few days or weeks of keeping roughly to your calories, you'll feel better. It does become habit, and one day you'll look back and be shocked at how much you used to eat without feeling ill. Stop thinking of it as 'depriving' yourself, that's just such a negative connotation that it can't help your mindset. Try to use positive words/phrases, even in your own head. It's surprising how much power our own brains have to influence us.

Finally, never put a time limit on weight loss. It's too much pressure. If you hit a stumbling block and set yourself back then you're likely to feel bad about it and give up. This is the rest of your life, not just that one event. But, if you start now, you'll still be a good part of the way there anyway!

If it helps, I've lost roughly 90lbs, and kept it off for 3 years so far. I'm almost in the healthy BMI bracket. I'm still slowly working on myself, but whenever I feel crappy I just look at what I used to be and think how glad I am I've come this far. And like I say, I binge on a weekly basis. So if I can do it, you definitely can!
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    OP, what is your height and current weight? What have you set your weekly weight loss goal to?

1200 - 1300 calories per day is very restrictive. I think you're binging because you're waaaaay too hungry. I also think the issue is that you're trying to lose weight too quickly.
  • Willkill4pudding
    Willkill4pudding Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    The way you think about this seems more like you see everything as a barrier instead of as a guideline as it should be seen. Going over your calorie count or binging aren't the reset button that sends you straight back to the beginning. It's just a hiccup on your way to getting to where you want to be!
    And if it's too hard for you to stay under 1200 or 1300 calories then maybe you could try increasing to 1500. it'll give you more wiggle room so you can have an easier time staying within your limitations and though it may be slower at least you'll be less likely to stop which is the important part.
    Also taking a cheat day once a week (well I like to call them flex days like what weight watchers does cause saying cheat day makes me feel like i'm doing something bad while flex day makes me think that I have more room to have what I want but still not overeat)might help curb your craving if you know that you can have some later then you may not feel the need to have it all now.
    and I think you are right in knowing it's the way you are approaching this mentally thats acting like a barrier to getting to where you want to be. changing the way you think about things isn't going to happen overnight but if you can stick to it and make the gradual changes eventually you will see a difference!
    If you want to add me as a friend you can I dont have any right now and I find that having someone to work with together on something helps make me more likely to get something done!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    You've already figured out that you just won't lose any weight with your mindset. So set your goal to losing 1 pound a week and forget 'being perfect'. Eat your calories. Let yourself have one cookie or two within your calories. It's supposed to be sustainable. And stop worrying about 'not reaching your goal in time'. Whatever you manage to lose by then, it will still be better than nothing.

And log everything. Honestly, it was an eye opener when I realized that I could lose weight and not deprive myself.
  • jmgj27
    jmgj27 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I understand the "all or nothing" issue as well. I have lost weight successfully in the past but failed with maintenance as I just "fall off the wagon" as it were. I'm back losing again now (in fairness, after a twin pregnancy and long steroid use for an autoimmune illness) and just doing it sensibly. My advice would be:-
    - increase the calories (I'm eating around 1500/1600 a day and comfortably losing 2+lbs a week - although I am 247 at the moment and started at 264)
    - Have a cheat meal once a week. We do a cheat meal on a Saturday night and choose something we both really want and have a delicious homemade chocolate fondant for dessert. I log it and move on. My weight goes up on Sunday and is below my lowest by Tuesday so it does no harm and psychologically gives me something to look forward to.
    - Don't limit yourself with favourite foods etc, just watch the portion sizes. I love Greek food and make it at least once a week but just have less than I used to.
    - Exercise! Sometimes if I'm really craving something that I can't fit in my calorie goal then I will increase my exercise for that day to bank the calories!
    - Take regular photos of yourself and take your measurements. That way you'll be able to start seeing the differences in yourself asap and it might keep you motivated to keep going.

I'd second pps and say I don't think it's an eating disorder per se but you need to find the right motivation for you and think about the long term goal.

Good luck!
  • toe1226
    toe1226 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    it's not like you wake up one day and you gain "will and determination" - you're plenty strong enough. It is no one's job here to diagnose or not diagnose whether you have an eating disorder.

The first step is acknowledgement, you're doing that, good job!

It's important to realize that your mindset is actually CAUSING you to do the OPPOSITE of what you want. When this really clicks in, you'll start realizing that a chocolate a day keeps the therapist away.

Is it biologically possible for you to lose the weight for this event? Maybe maybe not, you didn't say how much. But the weight will be back by whenever the next event is.

Do you want to be of a healthy weight for any future events in your life? (Weddings graduations births reunions?)- then I'd suggest ditching your goal on this event and changing your mind
  • ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Please help me! Without a plan in mind I won't know what to do.

Make a plan.

I think it is great that you are aware that your mindset is the problem. The biggest weight loss battle is between your ears.

It seems like you feel like a victim of the diet, like it is something being imposed on you from the outside.
    The moment I put myself on a diet all I think about is deprivation, limitation and restriction.

I'm 45 and battled with my weight lifelong. I get it.

You need to remember that
    I put myself on a diet
    . Instead of deprivation, limitation, and restriction try control, success, and victory. Because that is what you want, right?

We don't know your start, your weight loss goal, or a date, so no idea if it is realistic. I do know that, for me, those kinds of goals are helpful. For some people they aren't.

If your goal isn't realistic and your deficit is too aggressive then you are setting yourself up to fail. Why would you do that to someone you like?

Eliminate or limit exposure to foods that lead you to binge. Maybe you can't keep chips around at all. Or maybe you can keep just plain ones and eat a measured portion. This is a trial and error process.

Find foods you enjoy that "fit" your calorie goal.

Mindfully include treats/breaks when you honestly decide they are worth it, that the pleasure of the day, or the meal, is equal or more than the cost of slowing your progress.

And know that if you want to maintain that splurges will always need to be splurges, not daily practice.

Be kind to yourself, but be firm. Treat you the way you would treat someone you love if you were in charge of their weight loss.
  • emmycantbemeeko
    emmycantbemeeko Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Willpower is not an unlimited resource- studies have shown that using willpower in one area weakens it in others. That's why highly restrictive plans are less effective in the long run- if you exhaust all your willpower halfway through the day eating microscopic portions, you may wind up bingeing at night and making less progress than if you had simply set a goal you were actually able to maintain.

1200-1300 calories is very low for all but the shortest and smallest people. Combine the real hunger you're probably feeling on that intake with your existing issues with food and diet terminology and you're creating a perfect storm for struggling for a little while, then giving up and eating far more than you would if you simply set your target higher and stuck to it consistently.

If you find yourself rebelling against logging because it reminds you of the restriction you're resenting, take some time to just log without restricting- only logging on days when you eat "healthy" is counterproductive, log everything, even if you're frustrated or embarrassed.

Being honest with yourself about what you eat is the first step, and you may be surprised how seeing what you really eat affects your mindset. Right now you view your typical eating habits and "normal" and the weight-loss goal as "restrictive" (which of necessity, it must be, at least a little). But if your typical eating habits have led to weight gain, then they aren't normal, they're excessive. Seeing the true pattern and that you're commonly eating more calories than your body actually needs can help to make the connection between what you eat and how you look and feel- and then the next step is learning to eat at maintenance. This is only restriction in the sense that you are restricting yourself from eating excess calories, but still consuming everything your body needs to maintain its current size and function. You shouldn't experience significant real hunger on this amount of food, and eating this way for a while can help you retrain yourself to recognize what's real hunger and what's boredom, emotional, and habit eating.

Once you've mastered that, you can try cutting calories to lose weight at a more sustainable pace, and it won't be the kind of huge leap from "eat all the cookies in the bag when I feel like it" to "eating at a huge deficit."

This will take longer and will require giving up your timed goal, but that's probably for the best, anyway. Weight loss and maintenance is a life-long process, a marathon, not a sprint. Having a timed goal that bums you out if you miss, or that makes you feel like you have license to stop worrying about it after that date, is a recipe for failure.