Late night food

Options
Collinsky
Collinsky Posts: 593 Member
If you happen to eat something at say, 2 AM, do you log it for the night before or the morning after? Does it matter if you were still up, or if you had slept at that point? Just curious!

Replies

• hottamolly00
    hottamolly00 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    If I eat that late/early, I'm not logging... period. I just put myself back to sleep and forget about being hungry.

But... if the hunger is keeping you up, I say drink a glass of warm water w/ lemon or a cup of green tea.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    I have the same question. But since I don't do it often, it doesn't bother me if I don't log it. :)
  • gatorflyer
    gatorflyer Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I refuse to do it, period. If it gets that bad, I'd probably down a bunch of water.
  • capricorn144
    capricorn144 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Most days I try to be done by 8PM or 9PM the latest.

But if you work nights that would be a different story. I guess your time frame would be different.
  • Collinsky
    Collinsky Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I guess I'll just log it with my late-night snack, then. I don't always eat that late, but sometimes I am going to, and I wondered if there was any reason to log it the next day. I've decided to log everything -- there's no way I'm going to take in a couple hundred calories at some point and not count it. It all counts! :-) It keeps me accountable.

I respect the choice that many make to avoid eating at night, but I personally feel pretty strongly about not ignoring my body's cues. I did down a bunch of water, which often works, but it doesn't when the body is actually hungry. I didn't get enough protein during the day, especially since I worked out really hard that evening, and so my body was really letting me know it needed something more than what I gave it. If I plateau at some point, I will of course reevaluate and make any changes that are necessary, but right now, I don't have time restrictions on when I can or cannot eat, and that's working well.
  • sgv0918
    sgv0918 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    I work night shift sometimes so i decided always midnight to midnight :)
  • PieraO
    PieraO Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I haven't eaten at night but I would log anything eaten after midnight the next morning as a snack. I think it is better to log everything. Ultimately I think what happens on an individual day is less important than what is happening over the whole week.
  • thisishowwepray
    Options
    I am a grad student and sometimes find that I will need a snack very late at night to keep my focus if I'm studying. If I log PM snacks for the next day (or the day it technically is because it's after midnight), I am a little hungry the next day so I end up "borrowing" cals from the NEXT day. Does that make sense?

Seems to me it makes the most sense to call a "day" of eating on MFP when you get up until when you go to bed.