Peanut Butter Questions

Options
Hi guys, I'm looking for some peanut butter to make my plain old quaker oatmeal more dense in calories and flavours. However, i have a few questions about it though...

1. Is brands like skippy really bad due to hydrogenated vegetable oil?
2. I'm currently looking at healthier alternatives. Those natural peanut butter with oil on the top. Main ingredients will be only peanut and some salt. However, can i store it in room temperature after opening? I do not have access to a fridge atm though..
3. Are the fats in all peanut butter good fats? Or it it mainly bad fats like saturated fats?

I'm so confused about it right now... There are like thousands of different opinion on the web with regards to questions 2. Hope some MFP experts could enlighten me. Thanks a bunch!

Replies

• WifiresGettingFit
    WifiresGettingFit Posts: 1,773 Member
    Options
    1. I don't see foods as good or bad but I generally try to avoid hydrogenated oils because it means it has trans fat even if it has 0 grams on the label
    2. Krema Peanut Butter is my go to. You can find it at Walmart. Only ingredient is peanuts and I just checked the label, refrigeration is optional. For a 32 gram serving, it has 190 calories 16 grams of fat and 7 carbs. No sodium, 1 gram of sugar and 8 grams of protein.
    3. Krema has 2 grams of saturated fats, 5 grams polyunsaturated and 8 grams monounsaturated
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Peanuts have saturated fat. Do not worry about saturated fat.
  • KillRKit
    KillRKit Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I the pb I buy is available under 2 labels Smucker's/ adams... But reading the back shows they are the same. The only ingredients are peanuts and salt. The old labels didn't say they had to be refrigerated but the new ones do.
  • Talan79
    Talan79 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Skippy makes a natural one.
  • frantzcr
    frantzcr Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Have you tried almond butter?
  • chastity0921
    chastity0921 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    1. I don't see foods as good or bad but I generally try to avoid hydrogenated oils because it means it has trans fat even if it has 0 grams on the label
    2. Krema Peanut Butter is my go to. You can find it at Walmart. Only ingredient is peanuts and I just checked the label, refrigeration is optional. For a 32 gram serving, it has 190 calories 16 grams of fat and 7 carbs. No sodium, 1 gram of sugar and 8 grams of protein.
    3. Krema has 2 grams of saturated fats, 5 grams polyunsaturated and 8 grams monounsaturated

I love Krema!
  • chastity0921
    chastity0921 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Just make sure to get one that has oil separated. It doesn't have the palm oil-- just the natural peanut oils. A lot of the "natural" peanut butters have palm oil (which is a natural product). I store upside down in the pantry or in the refrigerator. :smile:
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Don't eat peanut butter unless you want cancer, because of the mold toxin. Use Almond butter instead.
  • toe1226
    toe1226 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I think maranatha crunchy with a hint of sea salt peanut butter is the best tasting peanut butter on the planet....
  • angelalangner1
    angelalangner1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Now you can get PB in powder form called PB fit that is perfect for us trying to "get healthy with it" gluten free, non-gmo, all natural, vegan, cosher--85%less fat than regular peanut butter.

It can play a role in your protein shakes, yogurt or anything you like with PB.
  • dotti1121
    dotti1121 Posts: 751 Member
    Options

Don't worry about saturated fat? I thought that was the kind of fat you need to limit?
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    You can store it at room temperature, but I'm pretty sure you have to use it quickly (about a month) or it can get rancid. TJ valencia with sea salt is my favorite, but the simply organic aldi is a close second!
  • akboy58
    akboy58 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I like the Smuckers Natural creamy -- peanuts and salt, nothing else. I stir it up thoroughly when I first open it, then give it another quick stir every time I use it. It is part of my every-day breakfast, so I go through about a jar a week; but I leave it on my counter I refrigerated, I've never had it go stale on me.
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    1. I'm assuming that your concern is with trans fat from partially hydrogenated oils. Skippy and other major brands don't have any. Hydrogenated vegetable oil isn't the same as partially hydrogenated vegetable oil, which does have trans fat.
    2. I don't know what you mean by "healthier." Some peanut butters have tiny amounts of added sugar. Some have added oil. Some have added salt. All of them have very similar nutrient profiles.
    3. Peanuts all by themselves have saturated, monounsaturated, polyunsaturated, and trans fats (in the small amounts found in nature). So peanut butter also has all of them. About half the fat is mono-unsaturated and about 20% of it is saturated.

If you're going to shell out the bucks for something that costs more than grocery-store peanut butter, I'd second the opinion that you should try almond or cashew butter. Cuz yum.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I get natural cashew and almond butter and store them at room temp. As Queenmunchy mentioned, you have to eat it faster but if you're using it on a regular basis that likely isn't a problem.
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    1. I'm assuming that your concern is with trans fat from partially hydrogenated oils. Skippy and other major brands don't have any. Hydrogenated vegetable oil isn't the same as partially hydrogenated vegetable oil, which does have trans fat.
    2. I don't know what you mean by "healthier." Some peanut butters have tiny amounts of added sugar. Some have added oil. Some have added salt. All of them have very similar nutrient profiles.
    3. Peanuts all by themselves have saturated, monounsaturated, polyunsaturated, and trans fats (in the small amounts found in nature). So peanut butter also has all of them. About half the fat is mono-unsaturated and about 20% of it is saturated.

If you're going to shell out the bucks for something that costs more than grocery-store peanut butter, I'd second the opinion that you should try almond or cashew butter. Cuz yum.

Good stuff.

OP, how do you feel about palm oil? I like it.
    Trick question? No. I like Skippy Natural, and Jiffy Natural, and Peanut Butter & Co. (cheap from Amazon). They're all the same (peanuts, sweetener, palm oil, salt), they're all about the same price as "regular" and easy to get. I don't like the fat-avoiding kind; I think that's a mistake.
  • AngelinaB_
    AngelinaB_ Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    If you want to avoid fat at all like I do, try dehidrated- PB2 (available in Cotsco for 5 bucks or so) or you can get another one called Just Great Stuff that it's being sold on natural grocery stores such as Sprouts here in So Cal. Let me just say it's really yummy. Great for snacking, smoothies and so on. Cheers
  • rawroy
    rawroy Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I've got the perfect recipe for you! I make this all the time and it taste like a dessert and it's low fat and high in protein!

1c Old Fashioned Oats
    1 Ripe Spotted Banana sliced up (add bluberries, strawberries, etc if you like too!)
    2tbs Peanut Butter Powder (Just Great Stuff ingredients:Organic Peanuts, Organic Coconut Sugar, Sea Salt
    1tsp Cinnamon Powder

I make my own High Protein Soy Milk like this but you can use any unsweetened Almond, Soy, Cashew, or Rice Milk
    3tbs Soy Milk Powder (Now Real Food is just 1 ingredient: Organic Soy Milk Powder)
    8-12oz Water
    1 In The Raw Stevia Packet

Add Old Fashioned Oats, Banana Slices, Peanut Butter Powder, and Cinnamon to a bowl or in a tall cup.
    Mix the Soy Milk Powder, Water and Stevia and pour it on top.

516 Calories
    90g Carbs
    10g Fat
    24g Protein
    21g Sugar
    151g Sodium
  • rawroy
    rawroy Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I also just slice and dip my bananas in the Peanut Butter Powder and eat it as a snack! It's really good! Just make sure your bananas are ripe (spotty) or it won't be sweet.
  • napilibay
    napilibay Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    My new favorite is almond butter, specifically Costco creamy version. I also use kroger brand natural peanut butter. Don't buy anything like jif or Skippy.