Weight Gain After workout

Options
rita27ny
rita27ny Posts: 820 Member
After my workout i have a light meal. gain .5lb after the meal along with the water. How can I not gain back any weight?

Replies

• bjohs
    bjohs Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    I suggest only weighing yourself in the morning, right out of bed and after emptying your bladder. That is the only consistent time of the day. Otherwise, you are weighing your meal and water weight which can only lead to frustration. Resist the temptation to weigh yourself at any other time of the day. If you feel you are obsessing about the number on the scale by weighing in each day, cut back to only weighing yourself once per week. Good luck!
  • ch178
    ch178 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    The scale will show a gain after a meal or lots of water but this is not weight gain, the food and water you put in your body has weight so it will show that. Maybe look at it this way. You are trying to loose fat and you definitely didn't gain fat from a light meal and water. Try to just weigh yourself in the morning before you eat since this will be the only correct reading you will get throughout the day. Our weight fluctuates throughout the day once you start eating, drinking and exercising. Hope this helps.
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    Ummm.. :\ You dont weigh the same weight all day everyday, that is not how it works. Through out the day we retain water, we eat food and drink plenty of fluids. Weight your self once a weigh after you wake up and after a BM if possible to see the difference or noe difference.
  • RNewton4269
    RNewton4269 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    The scale changes on me throughout the day with 1 to 2 to even a 3 to 4 pound gain sometimes. It fluctuates. When I do my weigh in...I haven't eaten..it is right after I get to work since I weigh in at our gym here on the Army post. That has worked the best for me.
    Good luck!
  • CodyD18
    CodyD18 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Your weight will change throughout the day. You shouldn't worry so much about weight. Weigh yourself in the morning once a week. You should also take measurments and pictures to track your progress. Even buy an outfit that you want to eventually fit into. You can also measure your progress by how you feel and how you're doing during your workouts. Your weight isn't always the most accurate way to measure how you're doing. People obsess over their weight waaaay to much.
  • Creiche
    Creiche Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Weigh yourself holding the glass of water and food you are eating...same thing as weighing yourself right after you consume it. I typically weigh 2 lbs more with a full stomach mid-day than I do in the morning with an empty one. Don't get upset by it, it's normal. If it's too distracting, I'd suggest what others have and only weigh yourself at one time during the day. Later on, once you have a better understanding of how/when/why your weight has these small fluctuations, it actually makes it easier to interpret the number you see on the scale and not freak out.
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    I like to weigh myself immediately before and after a workout to see how much sweat I lost, but of course if you consume anything then that weight will be added to your body. Remember a pint (16 oz) of water weighs about 1 lb, so it doesn't take much to change your weight.
  • 73mamacita
    Options
    Weighing in in the morning is the best time to weigh in by all means. During the day you can see a big jump in weight and this can be very frustrating. Just keep up the good work you are doing and try weighing in once a week and then in the morning. Enjoy the weight loss.:smile:
  • CodyD18
    CodyD18 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    One time I was curious so I decided to test how much weight I could gain in water in half an hour so I drank a whole bunch of water. I gained like 7 lbs. :P
  • palaciosj27
    Options
    This was very helpful, I was a bit disapointed after weighing myself early this week and seeing noticing that I only lost 2 pounds...I hade just had lunch and about 3/4 gallon of water...Dont know why I didnt think about all that making a diference... lol
  • ch178
    ch178 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Also remember that you have to burn 3500 calories to loose a pound, so you also have to eat 3500 extra calories to gain a pound of fat so that .5 lb was not fat
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    One time I was curious so I decided to test how much weight I could gain in water in half an hour so I drank a whole bunch of water. I gained like 7 lbs. :P

On the flip side of this I was outside working on my dad's farm one day and sweating profusely. I decided to weigh myself and I had lost 8 lbs! I immediately started downing a bunch of water.