Weight training

Options
Should I lift weights before or after I exercise? I usually do the elliptical machine three times a week (40 mins a day) and a stationary bicycle twice a week (35 mins).

Replies

• sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    Depends, but both will be effective. Some people say that you should lift first, to reduce your glycogen stores so that when you're doing cardio you're burning mostly fat. Some say to do cardio first so your body is properly warmed up for lifting. I personally do cardio after lifting because I feel I lift better that way.
  • kristy_estes21
    kristy_estes21 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Depends, but both will be effective. Some people say that you should lift first, to reduce your glycogen stores so that when you're doing cardio you're burning mostly fat. Some say to do cardio first so your body is properly warmed up for lifting. I personally do cardio after lifting because I feel I lift better that way.

I agree. I also do cardio after lifting so I can devote as much energy to lifting as possible.
  • mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I've always done a warm-up, then weights, then some more cardio.
  • Dnsnyder
    Dnsnyder Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I do a 5-10 minute warm up, then strength followed by cardio, with a 5-10 minute cool-down at the end. =)
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Cardio after lifting is the best, as you are able to keep your form up better and have more energy to perform you lifts, not to mention using up your glycogen stores
  • katt742
    katt742 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Do whatever makes you feel best. I actually split mine up. Cardio either in the morning or at lunch, then I lift weights after work. There are also days I will just do cardio and no weights and vise versa.
  • Jeneba
    Jeneba Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different! (Now - WHERE have you heard THAT before???) I prefer to do the cardio first because I push soooooo hard with the weights, that I wouldn't have anything LEFT afterward to do the cardio! :tongue:
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    I find when i do cardio before i can lift more because my muscles are warmed up. I will sometimes do 5 minute elliptical, then weights (bowflex) and then on to more cardio with a workout dvd like zumba or 30 day shred.
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    cardio second
  • funfitfoodie
    funfitfoodie Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere weights before cardio
  • dragonflydi
    dragonflydi Posts: 665 Member
    Options

I agree. I also do cardio after lifting so I can devote as much energy to lifting as possible.

Ditto and amen to both of the quotes above! :)
  • Mixmode
    Mixmode Posts: 332
    Options
    I do a light warm up cardio session first. IE- elliptical or treadmill for 10 min max. Then I hit the pile and am usually too spent to even think about cardio afterwards. But on my off days I do cardio for a much longer period.
  • kirkemorgan
    Options
    Cardio after lifting is the best, as you are able to keep your form up better and have more energy to perform you lifts, not to mention using up your glycogen stores
    You got it right bro, glycogen is used to perform the lifts, and is burned away, the only thing you have left to fuel your exercise is a little liver glycogen and bodyfat stores. Although it is a huge pain in the butt to drive hard after heavy weights, tales a few minutes to feel good doing the cardio.