Torn on calorie needs

Options
Hi All,

Sorry for posting another calorie related post. I am torn with my calorie intake currently. I have been following MFP calorie suggestions for nearly 2 years and have lost pretty religiously. I am currently 29 lbs from my goal weight and I feel like my calories are just getting really low. I weight 203.6 currently and I am 5'9. I work a desk job but I work out 3-4 times weekly at a pretty moderate exertion ( cannot hold a conversation). I am set to lose 1.5 lbs weekly and MFP suggests 1420 daily before exercise. I generally eat 1/3 - 1/2 of them back.

However when I calculate my BMR (1737) and then my TDEE (2255) the suggested daily intake is 1917. Aggressive would be 1804 and Reckless 1801.

I guess my issue is what should I be eating? Or am I way over thinking this?

Replies

• smotheredincheese
    smotheredincheese Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    If you're getting close to your goal weight maybe aiming to lose 1.5 lbs a week is too aggressive. How many calories does it give you if you switch down to 1lb or even a half lb?
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    If you're getting close to your goal weight maybe aiming to lose 1.5 lbs a week is too aggressive. How many calories does it give you if you switch down to 1lb or even a half lb?

^ Yep agree with this.

Doing the math - if 1420 is to lose 1.5 lbs, it should be 1670 to lose 1 lb. Add in a couple hundred calories for exercise, and you're pretty close to what the TDEE calculator gave you.
  • jacklifts
    jacklifts Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    here is my take on it

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/jacklifts/view/easy-formula-for-cutting-fat-801443

I think you should eat 2000 calories and assess your weight loss from there. But if you've been eating much lower than that, your weight will jump up.

Alternatively, try eating at your TDEE for a couple of weeks, and then go back to calorie restriction. maybe you need a diet break.
  • tbirk
    tbirk Posts: 25 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Doing the math - if 1420 is to lose 1.5 lbs, it should be 1670 to lose 1 lb. Add in a couple hundred calories for exercise, and you're pretty close to what the TDEE calculator gave you.
    ^ interesting point

Does the TDEE estimation include exercise? MFP calorie goals do NOT include exercise (but do incldue overall activity level). Exercise creates a deficit in MFP, so it's not assumed in the daily calorie goal. At least that's my understanding of it. I think of the MFP calories as a net calories goal. Exercise creates a deficit so I can eat more and still meet my goal.

My sister and mom can eat 1200 net calories a day when they're dieting, but I cannot! I stick to about 1500 net calories per day. This obviously means the weight loss is a little slower (less aggressive), but I find it way more bearable. I'm different height and weight than you, so that does change things. I'm 5'5".

If you're struggling with the new goal of 1420, start cutting back more slowly. Start with ~1650 net calories (if @juggernaut1974 's math is correct). If you can manage that, then try 1500. If you think you can do 1420, then go for it. If not, as long as you're creating a calorie deficit, then you should be losing weight.

Best of luck on your weight loss journey!
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Yes, TDEE calculators include exercise by definition
  • sairsyfairy
    sairsyfairy Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. If I set it to 1 lb it does give me 1670.

@jacklifts is your method strictly cutting fat or does it account for gaining muscle? Does it make a difference?

I felt comfortable eating at 1500 but having it reassess at 1420 today gave me a shock I guess. I know its only 80 calories but considering I have 30 lbs left it felt like a big jump,
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Stay where you are unless you want to gain weight. :)