Still can't have a picture taken

Options
I have lost a lot of weight in the last year and have no loose skin or other side effects from being heavy...in fact, I haven't looked this good since college, so why is it I still can't stand to have my picture taken? My profile pic is the only one I have since I lost the weight and I hate it! I don't consider myself a depresed person, nor do I think I have poor self esteem. Is this the case with anyone else?

1628192.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Replies

• skygoddess86
    skygoddess86 Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Yup. I am not photogenic and pics of me nearly always look bad. I was married to a photographer and when we started dating he didn't believe me until he took some pics of me, then he was like wow, you aren't photogenic. Lol. It stinks since we live in such a digital world.
  • LexiCheree
    LexiCheree Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    it may not be your body some people just dont like having their picture taking....im sure you look fantastic!
  • pital74
    pital74 Posts: 14
    Options
    You are not alone...I totally have the same problem!! I hate to have my pic taken...always have...no matter my size.
  • bean177
    bean177 Posts: 75
    Options
    you are only seeing the old you and seeing from the outside. You need to erase all of the old stuff from your mind and put in a new picture of the "new you"!!!!! I personally don't like my pictures either, but if you take a few and practice a little, they will get better! LOL
  • triciaw1975
    Options
    I'm right there with you! I can't stand to see myself in pictures either. Last night I was with some family and they wanted to take a group picture, so what do I do.....that's right....I stand in the back so that I am not as visible in the picture. I do this all the time when people want to take pictures. I am a short person so they are always trying to get me to move up to the front.....and I usually stand my ground and stay in the back or have kids stand in front of me to cover me up if they insist that I move toward the front. I have lost 30 lbs and am excited about this, but I think I have been so used to seeing myself at such a heavy weight for so long, that my thinking of myself has not yet caught up to what my body looks like yet. Great job to you on your loss and not having the loose skin after such a big loss.....this is what I am hoping for...no loose skin!
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    We way see ourselves most often is in the mirror, we are so used to seeing our own face reversed that lots of folks are uncomfortable seeing themselves as others do.

Try "flopping" the photo so it looks more like what you see in the mirror and see if you are any more comfortable.
  • loseatonlady
    loseatonlady Posts: 160
    Options
    I'm just starting to like having my picture taken - because my mind is finally catching up with my new body! Maybe start by getting used to standing and REALLY looking at yourself in a full length mirror. My trainer had me do that a long time ago and I noticed at that moment that I didn't like to look at myself - I would only look at my eyes/face.
    I am getting pictures of myself done very soon to celebrate my "new-self" and I look forward to it! It's my reward!
    Hang in there and know that you are not alone!!!! ((((Hugs))))
  • BethanyMasters
    BethanyMasters Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    You should take a least one picture of yourself for you.

I seriously regret not having a picture of myself at my heaviest because I can't look back and see how far I've come when I look in the mirror and still feel fat.
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    I think you need to go have a 'MAKEOVER' **said in a voice like Oprah*. It will make you want to take a picture, looking all slim and fashionable.
  • kristiedavis1
    Options
    I have never liked having my picture taken because of what I saw when I looked at them. I could pick out every flaw. As if not taking the picture changed what was really there. It's about my insecurities and the "tape that plays in my head". Because I am trying so hard to consistently recognize my own worth and value and to share that positive message with other women, I don't mind having my picture taken and comparing them to where I have been. It's a great measure of success with weight loss, but it's also a great way to start reprogramming the thoughts that I have developed about myself over the years. With all that said, it's really important to choose a good setting for those first pictures and make sure the person taking the picture can at least work the camera. LOL! I can't wait to see a new picture from you soon....Kristie
  • sandrinamsilva
    sandrinamsilva Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I think you need to go have a 'MAKEOVER' **said in a voice like Oprah*. It will make you want to take a picture, looking all slim and fashionable.

I totally agree.
  • kellieprindle
    kellieprindle Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the posts! I think a makeover sounds like a great idea!

1628192.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • auntiebabs
    Options
    My mom was always heavy and never liked having her picture taken, and when she did she hid in the back of a group or behind the kids. Now the kids and the grandkids wish that we had more pictures.

Even if you're not perfect take pix your kids will want the memories later.

They won't see the extra weight, they will see the woman who loved and nurtured them.

And as your body changes along your journey. They'll see your accomplishment and that you're a strong woman who worked on improving herself. And that it's okay to put yourself first sometimes. And should you achieve the absolute pinnacle of physical perfection, you know what they won't judge you on that either. They will see the woman who loved and nurtured them, who taught and comforted them, someone who was an example of healthy living and the benefits that brings.

Stay strong, because you're body is a vehicle that has to get you through your whole life....
    ...But it is always nice to get there in style

You've come so far congrats on your accomplishment, good luck and have fun on the rest of your journey
  • auntiebabs
    Options
    HEY Great new Picture!!!!!!!!
  • kristiedavis1
    Options
    Love the pic. You look great.