Binged tonight....

Options
I started tracking my calories since Christmas. I have been meeting my goals walking and eating right and actually lost about 6 lbs....but I keep getting sick. I have gotten sick with the flu or a cold 3 times in a month. I just completely gave up the last couple of days because I'm so miserable and tired and stressed. So for the first time in a month I had an all out binge. I need to lose weight for health reasons and am feeling kinda defeated. Just needed to be accountable to someone. I'm so discouraged. :(

Replies

• kiara1066
    kiara1066 Posts: 119 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    A few days won't hurt your chances of losing weight sorry you were sick. However, keep going and lose the weight for your health reasons. We all have those days where we don't stay within our caloric intake and it's okay. Learn from it and move on keep going. You can do it! I noticed veggies don't have that much calories, so I tend to eat a lot of veggies and it helps me feel full as well.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Deleted. Doubled post.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    It almost sounds like you went on an extremely low calorie diet. Under 1,000?
    This can lead to your body not getting enough nutrients. Vitamins and minerals.
    Google: How to improve the immune system.
    Exercise 20 minutes a day, cut down alcohol, quit smoking, take a daily multivitamin, eat lots of fruits and veggies.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Log it and move on

Many people, when fighting a virus, will set their diaries at maintenance to give them adequate fuel to recover

weight loss is not about one 'binge' .. it's about how you deal with that single lapse of commitment, refocus and move on

If you want specific help you could post your stats (age, height, weight, goal weight loss, activity level) and set your diary to public .. but that's not necessary
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Been sick every week this Winter so I totally hear you.

Just log it and move on. You might have gained 1 pound back, so what? You'll lose it again in a week. If you give up now you'll just undo ALL your hard work.
  • huffdaddy3
    huffdaddy3 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hey its ok we all fall off the wagon sometimes , but you must get back up and stay consistent. Set daily, weekly & monthly goals and take it from there. Don't beat yourself up over it.
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Getting very sick and weak could mean you're eating too little calories for your body. Especially if you end up having to binge, that could also be a sign that you're not eating enough.

Anyway, binge days mean nothing, as long as you log them & move on. Don't ever let a binge day (or 5 in a row!) bring you down.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    If you've had a lower calorie intake lately from being sick, then when you get your appetite back, it's normal to go overboard. I do that too. As long as it's that one day and you go back to your normal calorie goal the next, you're ok. One day from time to time isn't going to sabotage you or make you a failure. It just makes you human. Log it, learn from it, and move on.

Next time, you might try getting some of the Boost or Ensure to drink while you're sick. Much easier on your stomach (for most people), some actually taste good, and it gives you some extra calories and nutrition. Last time I had dental work done, I made sure I had some and that helped a lot! I had enough calories to keep close to my goal with things I could have with a sore mouth, and when I could eat again, I wasn't so hungry that I overate by very much.
  • dorcon
    dorcon Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I know when I have a cold I sometimes eat more because I can't taste anything! It's pointless because more food that you can't enjoy doesn't fill the need. I would use tea as a treat - it soothes you and clears up the sinuses. Don't give up...do you want to be heavier next month? If you give up, I guarantee you will be. Even maintaining until you feel better is a great goal!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    twood1082 wrote: »
    I started tracking my calories since Christmas. I have been meeting my goals walking and eating right and actually lost about 6 lbs....but I keep getting sick. I have gotten sick with the flu or a cold 3 times in a month. I just completely gave up the last couple of days because I'm so miserable and tired and stressed. So for the first time in a month I had an all out binge. I need to lose weight for health reasons and am feeling kinda defeated. Just needed to be accountable to someone. I'm so discouraged. :(

Something's wrong if you get sick that frequently. It may be that you are not eating enough. When I kept getting sick in the 90s, it turned out the building in which I worked had toxic mold. The likely cause for me repeatedly getting sick in 2009 was something to do with the pool at the Y - when I stopped swimming, I went back to my normal schedule of getting sick about once a year.
  • Francl27
    Options
    dubird wrote: »
    Don't be discouraged. I highly suggest you keep binging if that's what makes you happy. Usually when you have a binge, it's because you're on a regimen that could not be sustainable to your lifestyle or habits. If binge eating makes you happy, why stop being happy? Keep going!

Because that leads to weight gain. Yes, if someone has frequent binges, it could very well mean they're not getting enough calories overall. But binging on food means you'll be getting much more calories than missed previously, which kinda defeats the point. If OP's normal calorie goal is too low, she's much better off raising it and keeping a steady diet going.

There's nothing wrong with a little more cushion for the pushin.

That's your opinion, and that's fine for you. But not everyone agrees with that. If a person is trying to lose weight, for whatever reason, bingeing is a bad idea. It's a bad habit that can lead to more weight gain and possibly other health issues.

Eh binging is never a good 'idea', but it's typically not something that happens like 'hey, I want to binge today' either.

There's a different between a binge (which is due to lack of control) and a 'cheat' (where people make a choice to eat more). BIG difference.
  • dubird
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Don't be discouraged. I highly suggest you keep binging if that's what makes you happy. Usually when you have a binge, it's because you're on a regimen that could not be sustainable to your lifestyle or habits. If binge eating makes you happy, why stop being happy? Keep going!

Because that leads to weight gain. Yes, if someone has frequent binges, it could very well mean they're not getting enough calories overall. But binging on food means you'll be getting much more calories than missed previously, which kinda defeats the point. If OP's normal calorie goal is too low, she's much better off raising it and keeping a steady diet going.

That's your opinion, and that's fine for you. But not everyone agrees with that. If a person is trying to lose weight, for whatever reason, bingeing is a bad idea. It's a bad habit that can lead to more weight gain and possibly other health issues.

Eh binging is never a good 'idea', but it's typically not something that happens like 'hey, I want to binge today' either.

There's a different between a binge (which is due to lack of control) and a 'cheat' (where people make a choice to eat more). BIG difference.

Oh totally! Everyone has off days and most people build a 'cheat day' into their week. I'm talking about an actual binge. Don't know if that's what OP actually did or just had a very over day. But I felt compelled to counter another post about binging being ok to do.
  • JoJean12
    JoJean12 Posts: 29 Member
    Options

And it sounds so sexist and its insulting to someone who is trying to improve their health.

• elaineamj
    elaineamj Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    The one time i got sick frequently (one after the other), I was nursing my son and not getting enough nutrients for the both of us. I weaned him and was my usual healthy self (getting sick occasionally) after that. Even if you don't increase your calories, consider the nutritional content of your food.

i'm on a very minimal 1200 calorie diet (because I'm super short) and don't feel hungry on it. I am careful about the types of food I choose though - choosing more nutrient-dense, filling meals.
  • dubird
    edited January 2016
    Options
    JoJean12 wrote: »

And it sounds so sexist and its insulting to someone who is trying to improve their health.

I honestly don't see how what I said was sexist.
  • Francl27
    Options
    JoJean12 wrote: »

Lol what?
  • twood1082
    twood1082 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I was babysitting for someone and the kids kept bringing colds and a flu home from school. I actually was eating about 1600 calories a day but am very active. I wasn't trying to rush it just trying to control my eating habits better. I got a Garmin smartfit HR for Christmas and it has been very motivating. Thanks everyone for the responses. I am an emotional eater and was having a really hard day. I would say I just really over ate. Binged probably wasn't the right term. I still am recovering but I'm eating and taking vitamins. Just trying to get back on track :smile:
  • namelesshere
    namelesshere Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Log it and move on, I noticed that I get fewer colds when I add a vitamin C to my daily supplements during cold season. That might help you also. Make sure your caloric amount is compensated for all your activity so you are eating enough. You don't need to eat all of your exercise cals back but should try for at least half of them.