best fitness tracker for motivation?

Options
what do you all recommend - Fitbit, Jawbone or something else?

I've already got a (pretty smart) Pebble watch, so this will be purely for tracking calories burned during walking/ in the gym (a rarity) and possibly heart rate monitoring (my scales already do this).

Replies

• AddieOverhaul
    AddieOverhaul Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I am loving my Fitbit. Linked with MFP I have all my data in one place, and can compete with friends. I have found it quite motivating.
  • dennisnguyen
    dennisnguyen Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if my answer will be the answer you are looking for. My best fitness tracker for motivation are selfies. When I'm looking for progress, I would take a selfie every week wearing just my underwear. When I do this, I put my pictures next to each other to see my progress. To me, the weight scales don't tell me much. Earlier in my weight loss journey, the scale did matter to me. I was happy to see lower numbers, but there came a point when the numbers stopped going down and went up. I looked better in my selfies, felt better, and wore smaller clothes, but the scale didn't have good news. At this time, I decided that my progress was getting better and the scale does not determine everything. I do have a smartwatch that monitors my heart rate, running pace, distance, etc., but it doesn't really motivate me that much. It's fun to see higher calorie burning numbers. I have heard positive things about the FitBit, and it does link to MFP. I would be careful with fitness trackers that are attached to your wrist. I can easily get more steps in my day by waving my arms around instead of actually walking. Misfit and Fitbit have fitness trackers that go in your pocket or wear like a necklace. I read an article in the past that said those can be more accurate than activity trackers that go on your wrist. I haven't tested this myself, but since I can trick a fitness tracker on my wrist to count steps, it might be true.
  • mnshanbhag
    mnshanbhag Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    My best fitness tracker for motivation are selfies.
    Thanks, not sure that'll work for me - I love how I look, just want to lose about 10 kilos, not planning to go mad about fitness :)