Suggestions for decrease body fat %

Options
Not sure what my body fat percent is but I know I could lose some. What is the best method of exercise to help lower it? I'm almost at my goal weight(5lbs shy) so I wanted to start focusing on getting fit.

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Best exercise = eating less calories.

Exercise is great for fitness and strength. Diet primarily controls body size.

That said - while losing, be sure to lift, to encourage fat to come off instead of lean mass.
  • QueenofComeBacks
    QueenofComeBacks Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    So one for lifting... Anyone esle
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options

That said - while losing, be sure to lift, to encourage fat to come off instead of lean mass.

+1
  • QueenofComeBacks
    Options
    Any suggestions for a newbie trying learn to lift then? I would have to join a gym due no space for equipment at my house.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Exercise really does very little for weight loss or fat burning. It may be good for other reasons, but not these. The only way to really lose is through diet, and to really burn fat, you need to reduce carbs. Otherwise carbs is all you will burn. Keep carbs below 100 grams\day.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Check out the "New Rules for Lifting" series of books. They are geared towards teaching you the basics but challenging enough for experienced lifters as well.
  • jessicagilb
    jessicagilb Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Any suggestions for a newbie trying learn to lift then? I would have to join a gym due no space for equipment at my house.

Do a couple of sessions with a trainer. Helped me tremendously. The good ones are full of knowledge
  • QueenofComeBacks
    Options
    Thank you! I'm going to look into book and see about a few sessions with a trainer at my local gym
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    two simple steps:
    Exercise : cardio and weight lifting to conserve muscles
    Good nutrition: Low fat high carbs food. The high carbs food should be as close to their natural form as possible (plants lightly processed or raw! not cookies and granulated sugar etc) and high in fibres and water content

all she needs is a caloric deficit. low fat and high carb? really? your body needs a decent amount of fat for many functions and to help your body absorb vitamins and minerals. no need for high carbs either. would you suggest this way of eating to a diabetic or someone who is insulin resistant and cant have too many carbs? you can lose weight eating whatever you want as long as you make it fit. eating the way you suggested wont make weight come off any faster. I ate sugar and cookies from time to time and lost weight and fat.I am off most of my meds as well.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to join a gym, look into yayog, nerd fitness, al kavadlo, convict conditioning etc for calisthenics movements as tour strength training.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit for fat loss, exercise for preservation of muscle whilst dieting. Lifting is the most efficient but not the only way.

There's really three keys to losing fat whilst maintaining optimum body composition:
    Moderate calorie deficit.
    Adequate protein.
    Exercise to stimulate your body to conserve muscle.

As you are close to goal weight suggest your start tapering down your calorie deficit if you are losing at a rapid rate.
  • QueenofComeBacks
    Options
    Thank you all! I know need up my protein intake(work in progress). I have up my calories since I'm close to goal(-.5) every 2 weeks. I'm going start lifting soon. I see my doctor Thursday for a yearly well check up. So I can't wait to hear what she thinks of my weight lost.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

^ This, exactly.

two simple steps:
    Exercise : cardio and weight lifting to conserve muscles
    Good nutrition: Low fat high carbs food. The high carbs food should be as close to their natural form as possible (plants lightly processed or raw! not cookies and granulated sugar etc) and high in fibres and water content

^ Not this. You don't have to eat low fat high carbs and all that bunk, that's a vegan agenda which is completely unnecessary and has nothing to do with weight/fat loss. It won't make you lose weight/fat any faster or more efficiently than any other diet of equivalent calories. Fats are an essential nutrient to your body for many reasons (cellular maintenance, hormones, vitamin absorption, etc.). Eat a reasonable, balanced diet at a caloric deficit, get adequate protein and fat, and let the carbs fall wherever they fall for personal preference.
  • rsisca
    rsisca Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Muscle burns fat. Start weight training and continue to eat a deficit but up your protein to 50%
  • BodayJohnnay
    BodayJohnnay Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Strength training with HIIT for cardio for your cuts. The goal is to gain MUSCLE! The more muscle we have, the faster our metabolism will be. (Burn more calories while active as well as at rest) You will burn more calories strength training than doing cardio so keep up with the weights. Get those macronutrient ratios in check. Nutrition is the key to all of our success in and out of the gym.

Dont skip meals to burn fat either. Smaller portions, more frequent meals will keep your metabolism running like a calorie burning machine, while keeping fat gain at a minimum. Keeping a steady deficit each day will ensure you are on your way to losing weight/fat if that's your goal.(macro ratios matter!)

150lbs of fat vs 150 lbs of muscle weigh the same, but look completely different. So let's gain that muscle LADIES and GENTLEMEN!!
  • AnvilHead
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Strength training with HIIT for cardio for your cuts. The goal is to gain MUSCLE! The more muscle we have, the faster our metabolism will be. (Burn more calories while active as well as at rest) You will burn more calories strength training than doing cardio so keep up with the weights. Get those macronutrient ratios in check. Nutrition is the key to all of our success in and out of the gym.

Dont skip meals to burn fat either. Smaller portions, more frequent meals will keep your metabolism running like a calorie burning machine, while keeping fat gain at a minimum. Keeping a steady deficit each day will ensure you are on your way to losing weight/fat if that's your goal.(macro ratios matter!)

150lbs of fat vs 150 lbs of muscle weigh the same, but look completely different. So let's gain that muscle LADIES and GENTLEMEN!!

Wholly unnecessary also. Studies have repeatedly shown that meal timing is all but totally irrelevant for weight loss.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19943985

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9155494

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/820577/meal-frequency-rev-up-that-furnace-lol

http://www.leangains.com/2011/04/critique-of-issn-position-stand-on-meal.html

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/meal-frequency-and-energy-balance-research-review.html

Summary sentence from Lyle's research review in the last link:
    And, in case you missed it the first time through: eating more frequently does NOT, I repeat DOES NOT, ‘stoke the metabolic fire’.
  • skittlebitz
    skittlebitz Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Wholly unnecessary also. Studies have repeatedly shown that meal timing is all but totally irrelevant for weight loss.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19943985

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9155494

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/820577/meal-frequency-rev-up-that-furnace-lol

http://www.leangains.com/2011/04/critique-of-issn-position-stand-on-meal.html

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/meal-frequency-and-energy-balance-research-review.html

Summary sentence from Lyle's research review in the last link:
    And, in case you missed it the first time through: eating more frequently does NOT, I repeat DOES NOT, ‘stoke the metabolic fire’.

Thank you for this. It's a very common misconception that eating smaller more frequent meals boosts metabolism. Do whatever works for you. If 6 smaller meals a day works then do that, if 3 larger meals works better do that. Do what makes it easiest for you!
  • AnvilHead
    Options
    Thank you for this. It's a very common misconception that eating smaller more frequent meals boosts metabolism. Do whatever works for you. If 6 smaller meals a day works then do that, if 3 larger meals works better do that. Do what makes it easiest for you!

Eating 5-6 small meals a day would leave me hangry all the time. Tiny little meals here and there and here and there don't do it for me.

The "eat more, smaller meals to keep the metabolism running" is an old wives' tale which shows a complete misunderstanding of basic physiology. If you eat a larger meal, it takes longer for it to be digested/processed by the body. It's about as smart as saying "Your car will run better if you only put two gallons in the tank every time instead of filling it up". It's also a myth that the metabolism shuts down in between meals or at night and needs to be "kick started" or "jump started" or "revved up". Your metabolism works 24 hours a day. If it's not working, you've got much more serious issues to worry about than weight/fat loss.