Diet Coke = Water

Options
1235»

Replies

• Kuniva
    Kuniva Posts: 8
    Options

speaking of drunk......oh nevermind

calm down big boy, some people on here actually know a thing or two about health, they don't just join to attempt to pick up chicks.
  • BethanyCee
    BethanyCee Posts: 70
    Options
    This may be a little gross, but I go by urine color. if your urine is dark, it most likely means you're not getting enough water. If you drink lots of water, your urine is a healthy light color. It's related to how hydrated you are and is an easy way to judge. If you're drinking a ton of diet coke and it's light, then it's diet coke is probably doing the trick. But if it's dark, maybe think about switching.
  • bean177
    bean177 Posts: 75
    Options
    I agree with several other posters. I do not count my coffee as water bc -

- the diuretic factor [it takes water out of the body].

- I try to get in 8-12oz of water in BEFORE my morning coffee, to counter act this.

I would think herbal teas would count. Also unsweetened lemonade.. home made. Also.. some "diet" drinks [ie those with artificial sweeteners can actually cause carb cravings in some of us.. ME! I tried Crystal Light's new appletini.. and found it make me want popcorn.. bread, etc, things I eat only in moderation and not usually at night.

:)

well poo! I've been counting the morning cup as at least one cup of water - I'm going to have to go back now and adjust my diary... I probably shouldn't have cheated in the first place!!! :tongue:
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    I agree with several other posters. I do not count my coffee as water bc -

- the diuretic factor [it takes water out of the body].

- I try to get in 8-12oz of water in BEFORE my morning coffee, to counter act this.

I would think herbal teas would count. Also unsweetened lemonade.. home made. Also.. some "diet" drinks [ie those with artificial sweeteners can actually cause carb cravings in some of us.. ME! I tried Crystal Light's new appletini.. and found it make me want popcorn.. bread, etc, things I eat only in moderation and not usually at night.

:)

well poo! I've been counting the morning cup as at least one cup of water - I'm going to have to go back now and adjust my diary... I probably shouldn't have cheated in the first place!!! :tongue:

In reality, counting one morning cup of coffee as a cup of water is perfectly reasonable.

*sigh*

The "dehydrating" effect of caffeine is WAY overblown. I'm not advocating replacing all our water with caffeinated beverages, but counting a reasonable number of caffeinated drinks as water (or heck - 1/2 a cup of water each, if you want to be conservative) is FINE. See this post from earlier int he thread:
    ^^ THIS. People totally blow the "caffeine dehydrates you" thing out of proportion. In reality, drinking a cup of soda or a cup of coffee a few times a day is not going to dehydrate you. Per this post from the mayo clinic (which is a reputable source), caffeine is really only dehydrating if you drink more than a reasonable amount a day. http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/caffeinated-drinks/AN01661

I love drinking plain water and drink lots of it, but I also think that a cup of coffee or soda certainly counts. You should count the calories, if it has any, but your body can still use some of the water from that drink.
  • pittielover23
    Options
    I count green tea as part of my wtaer, but that is it. I enjoy a diet coke every day, but that is just extra fluid ;)
  • pittielover23
    Options
    *face palm*

I second that.

Okay, for all of you people that want to count beverages that AREN'T water toward your daily water intake, be my guest.

And if you think you can stay hydrated through eating apples and drinking diet chemical-ridden sodas, you're drunk.

I'll go on drinking my 120oz per day of water and providing my body what it needs to perform at maximum efficacy.
    Don't fall off that high horse, it will probably hurt.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Wondering if it is possible to count Diet Coke or other diet drinks, tea, etc as a Water??????

Yes. When tracking water for hydration, which is the only basis of the 8 glasses a day "rule", then Diet Coke, which is almost 100% water would count. That doesn't mean it's as healthy for you as water, of course.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    *face palm*

I second that.

Okay, for all of you people that want to count beverages that AREN'T water toward your daily water intake, be my guest.

And if you think you can stay hydrated through eating apples and drinking diet chemical-ridden sodas, you're drunk.

I'll go on drinking my 120oz per day of water and providing my body what it needs to perform at maximum efficacy.
    Don't fall off that high horse, it will probably hurt.

LOL
  • bcattoes
    Options

calm down big boy, some people on here actually know a thing or two about health, they don't just join to attempt to pick up chicks.

The OP didn't ask if Diet Coke was healthy though. The question was whether it can be counted as water, which is for hydration. And in that sense the answer is yes. Ask any doctor. You'll likely get a response of "yes, but..." with a lecture about how water is healthier. Unless the doc is a Diet Coke drinker, then they'll probably just say "yes".
  • jamontagne
    jamontagne Posts: 115
    Options
    I make fresh decaffinated iced tea - unsweetened. I count half of the tea I drink as water (I mean - it's 99% water, but for counting sake ... half seems fair). So, if I drink 2 cups of iced tea I put down 1 cup of water. :) Anything carbonated can't count ... although you could probably count seltzer water. It's hard to say, but I'm gonna guess any diet soft drink doesn't count.
  • thkelly
    thkelly Posts: 466 Member
    Options

i'm guessing you're not one of them. have a great day Einstein
  • CarlitaK
    CarlitaK Posts: 139
    Options
    I don't see why you would want to do that. One of the reasons I love this site is that it keeps me accountable. I try to log everything. Though Diet Coke doesn't have any calories, it does have sodium, and sodium is an important thing to track.
  • jamontagne
    jamontagne Posts: 115
    Options
    Everyone has an opinion. I just wonder why. If you drink the proper amount of plain ol' water there's no need to worry whether anything else counts as water. Bonus! :happy:

agreed! I go for the 64oz of straight water, and then drink probably another 64oz worth of decaf iced tea, coffee, diet soda (only 1 per day) and flavored water (like crystal light - or the cheaper versions). So it really doesn't matter to me what "counts" or not because I far out reach this goal.
    Why do I drink so much (I know you're asking yourself that) ... I used to be a pack-a-day smoker. When I quit 5 yrs ago I gained 30 lbs within 1 month! (still fighting it) This is because I was looking for that hand-to-mouth motion (i.e. cigarette in hand to mouth) and replaced it with food - lots of it. Then I realized I could use drinking instead of food - so I started keeping a 16.9 oz water bottle with me - and sip it all day. That eventually turned into the 24oz reusable bottle I have now - and I refill it 3 times per day at work. Yes, I pee alot - but I've never been so healthy - even being overweight my blood work comes back great (and I've had alot) - vitamin levels perfect, cholesterol perfect, etc. I really think it is because of the water :)
  • kamoira23
    kamoira23 Posts: 193
    Options
    For everyone who has said no to Diet Coke because of the artificial sweeteners - what do you think about Crystal Light? I mean, their whole deal is to get people to drink more water, but there are artificial sweeteners in it too. Would you count that as water?
  • bcattoes
    Options
    For everyone who has said no to Diet Coke because of the artificial sweeteners - what do you think about Crystal Light? I mean, their whole deal is to get people to drink more water, but there are artificial sweeteners in it too. Would you count that as water?

Well, think about it. How much water is in the glass flavored with Crystal Light? That's how much you should count.