Quick question from a beginner

Options
I've started using MFP in conjunction with an NHS Fit for Life programme. I'm 70.3kg and aiming to loose about 11kg and reduce my BMI, hopefully by July. I've never counted calories or actively dieted before, so have no idea how this will go...

The Fit for Life programme recommended a daily calorie allowance of 1400. I'm fairly active at work and take regular exercise, so have found 1400 a bit low. MFP recommends 1600+ calories as a daily allowance, + extra for exercise. Question is, which is correct? Any advice would be very welcome.

Thanks. :-)

Replies

• HG93022
    HG93022 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    How tall are you and how much do you weigh?
  • HG93022
    Options
    Oh, sorry. You did list your weight in kg.
  • HG93022
    Options
    So, 155lbs and how tall are you?
  • vickymbarclay
    vickymbarclay Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm 5ft 4in. A week shortie.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    I'm not familiar with Fit For Life. What weight loss goal (pounds per week) did you enter into MFP, and what weight loss goal (pounds per week) did you enter for FFL. Also, are your stats (height, weight, age, gender) considered in the FFL program? Does the FFL take into account your non-exercise activity level?

Pretty much I'm suggesting you compare the factors. MFP sets a calorie goal based on your height/weight/age/gender, then it considers what you say your activity level (before exercise) is like and how much weight per week do you want to lose. If the FFL is customized to you, and gives you a different goal, then a) they use a different equation for estimating your daily calories burned or b) they consider less or more than MFP considers.

In reality, 200 cals/day is less than .5 pounds per week. So it may be a matter of trial and error. Try one for 3-4 weeks, see how you feel and what results you get. Adjust as needed.
  • vickymbarclay
    Options
    Or *wee shortie, even!
  • vickymbarclay
    Options
    Thanks StaciMarie1974,
    On both programmes, I'm aiming to loose 1lb per week. I think the FFL programme is perhaps less customised. You enter your height, weight and give a rough estimate of your daily exercise. As far as I know, there's no facility to estimate calories burned in exercise. A fitbit programme recommended the same calorie allowance as MFP (1600+), so I'm going to aim for about 1500 and see what happens. I guess I can increase/decrease as I find out what works.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Sounds like are starting at a good place. Love my Fitbit One! I'm in maintenance now, and have found the total daily burn per Fitbit to be reliable.

• vickymbarclay
    Options
    Well done. I'm glad to know your fitbit helped. I lost mine. Lol. Maybe time to invest again. Thanks for the feedback.