Staying full on a limited budget?

Options
Hey all!
So I recently started strictly budgeting. My boyfriend and I spend $30/wk between the two of us on groceries. So naturally we stock up on pasta, microwave veggies, bread, milk, eggs, rice, beans, etc. Those things made up most of my diet to begin with, but for instance we've switched to white bread ($1.5 for a huge loaf) instead of whole grain organic bread ($3 or 4 a loaf), and now I'm starving mere minutes after having my breakfast that used to keep me full for a few hours!

Such a budget doesn't really allow for meat either, so what I've discovered is that I literally cannot stop eating since switching over. I use 'literally' in the valley girl sense, as in 'I could, but I'm hungry all the time and massively hangry at work and in the mornings'.

I'm eating up to my calorie limit every day, which admittedly I just lowered (1620-1380, wanted to lose 1.5/wk instead of 1), but I used to eat around 1400 a day before this regardless.

Anyway, let's get to the point. I'd be willing to raise the budget a tiny bit (maybe $10?) If you guys could give me some good ideas for stuff that will actually keep me full. I have a Sam's club membership, and a Market Basket up the block, if that helps any!

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• NeonStrikeVi
    NeonStrikeVi Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Oats are a good breakfast option and they're cheap, plus you can make porridge with water instead of milk.

Wouldn't a loaf of non-organic whole grain bread cost just the same as a loaf of white bread?

Keep a little money each week, and look for offers on meat. Stock up and freeze what you will not be using, same goes for fruit and vegetables.

• SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    if bread is important, its very easy to make and the ingredients are dirt cheap if you find a store that sells in bulk.
  • HLMcWilkie
    HLMcWilkie Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Get the 100% whole grain bread. But generic oats. Also, many other grains, such as rice and quinoa are inexpensive and can be make a yummy cereal with a sweetener, fruit, and milk. You can also throw in a tbs of peanut butter to make it more filling. Eggs are in expensive and also filling especially if paired with fiber filled veggies like spinach.

A little meat can go a long way. Consider but one whole chicken, roast it for one meal, make sandwiches for lunch next day, then throw the rest in a pot of water or crock pot to make soup. Add seasoning, a bag of mixed veggies, a grain or pasta.

Good luck!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    You might be missing oil. Maybe peanut butter would be good.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Refried beans. Flour tortillas. A bit of sharp cheddar cheese. Some stolen taco bell sauce packets. Roll up and bake 15 mins. Cheap meal.
  • tcarroll120
    tcarroll120 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Oats, penut butter, beans. Oh and protein powder. This can be used between meals.nuts/seeds.
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    I grew up eating beans (great northern) and cornbread. (My mom threw in a ham hock (which are cheap), but I don't like meat). Where I live in the Midwest, a 1 lb bag of beans is $1.19. I cook half the bag to feed my family of five 2-3 meals. A box of Jiffy cornbread mix is $.49 and I make a double batch. Throw in an onion and some salt and pepper, and you've got one of the most delicious, easiest and most economic meals I can think of. (And leftovers freeze well.)
  • serenitywsu
    serenitywsu Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hey I'm on nearly the same budget, broke college kid over here :). I spend about 30$ for two weeks. You CAN find cheep wheat bread. I buy my whole wheat bread at winco for 1.68. If where your shopping doesn't offer wheat bread cheaper than 2$ try somewhere else because I promise it exist. Frozen veggies to stock up on isr cheeper, and buy in season.
    Another thing is, tofu is nearly cheaper than meat. For a pound at an Asian grocery store you can get it for 1.29. Tofu is good protein and fills you up. Honestly just try a different grocery store, see what's around and what they have to offer! On thirty bucks yesterday bought
    Doz. Eggs, brocolli, apples, bananas, butter, wheat bread, yogurt, spinach, lettuce, bag of peppers, tomato's, vegetarian chicken nuggets, 24 tortias, frozen corn and a few other items I can't recall.
    This will last well over two week s with naturally stocked items I have(I buy a biggg box of soymilks at coscto as they only have to be refrigerated when opened, rice, noodles, pb, and sauces). Buy none fresh items in bulk, like tortias and even eggs if you eat them everyday !
  • notmyrobot
    notmyrobot Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm impressed with how you guys can only spend $30 on food for a week or 2?! The items the previous poster mentioned would cost me at least $45. I considered getting vegetarian options instead of meat but it's so much more expensive here it seems?! I bought a box of veg chicken tenders at my local grocery store and they were nearly $7 for 8 strips :neutral:

Sticking to the topic though I would recommend drinking a lot of water , also oats in the morning help me to feel fuller longer! Peanut butter.. Almonds.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Hey all!
    So I recently started strictly budgeting. My boyfriend and I spend $30/wk between the two of us on groceries. So naturally we stock up on pasta, microwave veggies, bread, milk, eggs, rice, beans, etc. Those things made up most of my diet to begin with, but for instance we've switched to white bread ($1.5 for a huge loaf) instead of whole grain organic bread ($3 or 4 a loaf), and now I'm starving mere minutes after having my breakfast that used to keep me full for a few hours!

Such a budget doesn't really allow for meat either, so what I've discovered is that I literally cannot stop eating since switching over. I use 'literally' in the valley girl sense, as in 'I could, but I'm hungry all the time and massively hangry at work and in the mornings'.

I'm eating up to my calorie limit every day, which admittedly I just lowered (1620-1380, wanted to lose 1.5/wk instead of 1), but I used to eat around 1400 a day before this regardless.

Anyway, let's get to the point. I'd be willing to raise the budget a tiny bit (maybe $10?) If you guys could give me some good ideas for stuff that will actually keep me full. I have a Sam's club membership, and a Market Basket up the block, if that helps any!

Thanks in advance!

Compare the fiber in your previous bread brand to your current brand and see if there is a difference that that could explain the difference in your fullness.

Foods higher in fiber like beans keep me fuller longer than foods like bread or pasta, so if this is true for you as well, eat more beans. I often add beans to pasta dishes.

You don't need to pay extra for "microwave" veggies - this is a marketing gimmick. Just buy the store brand and cook them on the stove.

For the rice and beans - are you buying them in bulk or in boxes and cans? Dried beans are way cheaper than canned and big bags of rice cheaper than smaller options, especially boxed rice.

This is an awfully low budget for two people. Maybe you can get some assistance from food pantries or churches.
  • serenitywsu
    serenitywsu Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    notmyrobot wrote: »
    I'm impressed with how you guys can only spend $30 on food for a week or 2?! The items the previous poster mentioned would cost me at least $45. I considered getting vegetarian options instead of meat but it's so much more expensive here it seems?! I bought a box of veg chicken tenders at my local grocery store and they were nearly $7 for 8 strips :neutral:

e98c8mluwyx5.jpg

It may have to do with the area I live in. But I remember being able to find reasonably priced wheat bread when I lived more in the city area.
  • kerryokerry
    kerryokerry Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    check out the Satiety Index mendosa.com/satiety.htm. Researchers fed 240 calories of a variety of foods (from jelly beans to potatoes), and then recorded how full they made the participants feel (also measured by how much they ate a few hours later). Check out the "high satiety" foods on this list and cross reference against the price and pick some low price high satiety foods.

From a quick glance, popcorn, all-bran, oatmeal, potatoes, eggs, apples and oranges took like good bets. Beef has a 176% satiety index so might be worth it to get some cheap cuts and cook in a slow cooker (think barbacoa at Chipotle - yum!). Ling fish has a 225% satiety index. Looks like it's common in Britain and it was a British study, and per Wikipedia, it's like cod). Cod is $6.99 a pound at my local grocery store..

Kerry
  • NikkiMichelleS
    NikkiMichelleS Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    What others have posted are good suggestions.
    Buying in bulk, or larger quantities, is less expensive. The larger size container of Greek yogurt vs small individual cups; its worth it to me since it very nutritious (protein, calcium, etc). Same with cottage cheese, sprinkle of chia seeds.
    Eggs, lentils, beans.
    For meat: it really does keep me full longer so I would pay the price. Buy on sale!! I load up when whole chicken is .88¢/lb -- a whole chicken can be 2-3 meals! Same with cheap cuts of beef and chicken thighs/legs/quarters. At .99¢/lb on sale, we can eat chicken all week!
    Making from scratch your own snacks.
    ....and popcorn. Yum. Popcorn definitely fills me up & super inexpensive if you airpop/stove pop from kernals (not the pricier small bags)
  • Cynsonya
    Cynsonya Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Gee, I need to take lessons from you guys. My eggs alone are $6 a dozen :/
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    We quit bread altogether here. Oatmeal for breakfast gives you a hot, high-fiber meal. Buy generic and it's about 2.99 a carton.
    Eggs I get at Trader Joes, they have the best prices. Not sure if you have one close to you.
    Ditto on the whole chicken. If you watch sales sometimes you can get a roasting chicken for about 5.99 and if you're careful, you can eat off it for days. I usually serve the roast chicken one night, then the rest gets 'parted out' and put in pastas, soups, etc. ] I also look out for cheap sales on pork roasts. Sometimes you can get a decent sized pork roast for around $6.00 if you watch sales. They too can serve for one meal, and then get sliced up for lunches, added to pastas and beans, etc.
  • nickatine
    nickatine Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal,peanut butter, chicken thighs, bulk ground beef, canned meat and fish, frozen, vegtables and frozen fruit.
  • ny2298pdsgt
    ny2298pdsgt Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I try to stick to a budget also, usually stick to under $250 for me, my husband and step daughter....(and my husband eats like a teenage boy.....) Meat when it is on sale and marked down close to best buy date.....tons if chicken, 2 breasts feed 3 of us with leftovers for lunch the next day, eggs... Lots of eggs, tons of soups when on sale and paired with coupons, and beans and rice are our main staples.
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Think about whole grains and dried beans in bulk bins, fruits and veggies in season, plain fat free yogurt in larger containers, whole chickens (cut up and freeze), bogo sales. Buy food that will nourish you the most and don't waste money on refined grains, chips, sweets. Make wonderful pots of soups or stews. Grow your own herbs on your windowsill. I go to the organic farmers market and ask for ugly produce. I once got a huge bag of mustard greens for a dollar because they had started to wilt.
  • ydyms
    ydyms Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Wow. I spend about $350 minimum a week! Anyone know where I could learn to budget? (I do have a few kids too /) )
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    I've been obsessed recently with grabbing the recipes of a website called budgetbytes. She aims for $40 per week for her food budget for 2 people, and posts each recipe she makes along with the cost of each food item in the ingredients list. Food in Australia is stupidly expensive, and with decent meal planning, I've dropped the grocery list for my husband and I down quite a bit.

My suggestion is don't just 'stock up' on cheap foods each week. Sit down with your partner, plan out your meals for the week, with maybe planning to use leftovers for lunch the next day, compare to the staples you already have in your pantry, and write your shopping list. If your local supermarket has an online store, plug in your shopping list there to see what your list might cost. Too much? adjust your meals and try again.

For meat/protein, check to see if butchers have bulk buy sales for chicken thighs (or whole chicken) that you can portion out and freeze, or as someone mentioned above, cuts of stewing beef, or ground beef for slow cooker meals, chilli, curry, etc.