1 cheat day turns into 3 days!!

Options
2»

Replies

• xveer22
    xveer22 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Oh, and what also helps me a lot is practice resisting the food when you're not craving it. I'm still in the phase of practicing that with food that I don't really love, just food I eat everyday. You put it on your plate and you're not allowed to eat it. Once you practice this more often it will become easier to resist the food. And don't blame yourself if the first couple of times you still eat that bit of food, as long as you've done the best you can and you resisted longer than the last time you can already be proud of yourself!
    And after you've practiced with 'normal' food you can go on with practicing to resist food such as chocolate, sweets and snacks.
  • staticsplit
    staticsplit Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I tend to eat a square or two a day as well. It can be a little rocky at first, but once you know you can have it and it's allowed, I don't want more than a square or two. I eat it somewhat slowly, with a drink, and it's a nice, satisfying treat. I've lost 4 pounds since the start of the year and I regularly eat chocolate, frozen yogurt, peanut butter, cake, brownies, whatever. I'm just careful and try to limit it to one "treat" a day (like if I have a muffin at a coffee shop in the afternoon, I might avoid the chocolate later in the day unless I really fancy it), stick to my overall calorie goals, and exercise a few times a week.

Cutting out anything and going too stringent with your diet can often result in binges or giving up. You're changing your lifestyle and so long term, it's always good to try and figure out how to work in treats so you are happy yet reaching your goals.
  • Expatmommy79
    Expatmommy79 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    When you cheat - you are only cheating yourself. Time to adjust your thinking.

You can have plenty of days where you eat all the chocolate. Be conscious. Plan for it. Make a calorie concession elsewhere or else earn it with exercise. You can still eat all the food - just plan for it and log it.
  • vvento
    vvento Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I get the Ghiradelli squares and have one or two 50-70 calorie squares per day.

I have a hard time moderating entire bars of chocolate but am ok with squares, as mentally they feel like a complete unit.

I am also ok with chocolate chips - I weigh out 15 grams and eat them slowly, letting them dissolve in my mouth one by one.

I believe this is great advice, as moderating something you love will have you enjoy it more than you would expect.
  • jessetfan
    jessetfan Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I build the things I want into my calorie goals and sometimes make substitutions if I don't feel like I'm giving up much. For instance, I bring 20 calorie hot chocolate mix to work rather than using the 80 calorie mix provided. I have chocolate or some other treat pretty much daily within my calorie limit, and I lost 4.7 pounds last week and 2.6 this week.

If you're going to do this long-term it's best to figure out what's going to work for life so you don't gain back what you've worked hard to lose.
  • dotti1121
    dotti1121 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice ladies! I think I should just stay away from the treats! I look at chocolate and it goes to my *kitten*!!

That usually works great until you are so deprived that you end up binging and/or giving up.

THIS! ^ It's better to indulge yourself a little bit on occasion so that you don't feel so deprived that you go WAY overboard... This has always been my downfall...
  • shannonhughes70
    shannonhughes70 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I just feel like I'm craving chocolate all the time... I was fine for months whilst loosing weight but feel off wagon for a bit over Xmas and really can't get totally back on track! Everyone's advice seems great tho!
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Really good advice here already. I'd just add the cocoa powder (the baking kind) can be very useful to add into things, and it has tons of good polyphenols in it.

I have a tablespoon in my coffee daily, and also mix it with peanut butter and chocolate protein powder.

Don't think of chocolate as just candy bars. It doesn't have to include sugar. It's nutritionally useful and tastes good; just be creative with it.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Chocolate protein powder rocks! Seriously, I make that oatmeal that is to die for and tastes like chocolate pudding. 1 serving of oats, some chocolate PB2, cooked in 3/4 cup of milk (I use 1%) for 2 minutes in the microwave... the stir in some protein powder (I use Quest, it thickens it more than other powders). SO good, filling, and lots of protein.