Avocados

Options
2»

Replies

• M3ltD0Vvn
    M3ltD0Vvn Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I had an avocado go bad on me recently - not rotten, but mushy. I usually just man up and eat it, I added it to some rice as I was stirring the rice into the boiling water then covered it for 5 minutes on low. WOW! Talk about a great combo. The Avocado basically emulsified, was no sign of it at all, but such a great flavor to plain old (brown) rice!

I also substitute mashed/whipped Avocado in anything that requires mayo. Sometimes I just cut the mayo in half and split it with the whipped avocado. Grilled cheese, tuna salad, even a simple ham or turkey sammich. mmmmmm!

Glad we going shopping tonight... I'm out of Avocados!

\m/
  • slvc0721
    slvc0721 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    VERY YUMMY.... I really LOVE avocado's, I use them as listed above....in my salads, mashed with tuna instead of mayo and they are great on top of a garden burger, as well as bean or turkey burgers with salsa instead if ketchup. Delish and Nutrish :)
  • KellieTru
    KellieTru Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    lisalsd1 wrote: »
    I eat avocado on toast for breakfast; it's especially good on marble bread.

I do the same with a fried egg on top. Keeps me going until lunch!
  • oldmandee
    oldmandee Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Avacado Smash ... mash avacado, feta, salt pepper and lemon juice ... then spread over some toast (a nice thick multigrain is good). Sometimes I add fresh cilantro or Italian parsley if available.
  • areallycoolstory
    areallycoolstory Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    cook a bit of shrimp. make a tiny salad with onion, olive oil, and balsamic vinegar. halve avocado. remove pit. with a pairing knife score both halves three or four times down the length and width. so it makes little cubes that are still attacked to the skin. place shrimp salad in center. drizzle a bit more oil and vinegar over each half. stir and eat. using skin as a bowl. heaven :)
  • aprilflower18232
    aprilflower18232 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Mix it with tuna..yummy!!
  • Lynzdee18
    Lynzdee18 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    So many ideas. My fav? Cut in half. Pop the seed. Eat with a spoon before I go to the gym. So yummy!
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    A BLT-A!
  • Rachel0778
    Rachel0778 Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    What healthy things/snacks can you dip into guacamole? Feel like I'm eating tons of calories of I use chips.

I usually dip my baby carrots in it, but any veggie tastes fantastic. I do sliced radishes, squash slices, red pepper strips, etc.

I also agree with avocado toast. I spread 1/4 an avocado on my homemade wheat bread with some salt and pepper-YUM!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,188 Member
    Options
    What healthy things/snacks can you dip into guacamole? Feel like I'm eating tons of calories of I use chips.

Others have mentioned the veggies. Try jicama, too - it's my new favorite. Very crunchy, mild flavor, very low cal.

But here's another possibility:

Look for Sharwood's spicy puppodums (or plain ones, or other brands - ethnic section of big grocery stores, Asian markets that have Indian foods). You pop this flat thing in the microwave briefly, and it puffs/wrinkles to a tortilla-sized crispy tasty salty thing - 20 calories each, and 1.5g protein (made with chickpea flour). Other brands may be spelled differently (pappadams, papodums, etc.) They're so crispy as to be brittle, so you might have to spoon on the guac, but they're a pretty darn tasty chip substitute.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,933 Member
    Options
    I put soy sauce in the hole and eat it with a spoon.
  • taichilass
    taichilass Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    You can use them in mashed potatoes
  • esneer1
    esneer1 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    They are great in scrambled eggs, on turkey sandwich, in salads, in a black bean mango salad and today I came across this amazing recipe I can't wait to try! http://tastesbetterfromscratch.com/2014/05/tomato-avocado-melt.html
  • esneer1
    esneer1 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    A BLT-A!
    I'm from Baltimore and here we call that a BALT!
  • starkiss100
    starkiss100 Posts: 235 Member
    Options

Celery
  • bertonejca
    bertonejca Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I mashed one up today, with lime juice, sea salt, onion powder and garlic powder and spread it on turkey breast slices and rolled them up. I'm on a mission to eat one a day!