A Cup

Options
2»

Replies

• SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    A lot of the food entries have options for grams. Go by those I guess?
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

12inches = 1lbs, 14lbs =1 stone, 27 stone = 16 grooberbangers, 23 grooberbangers = 4 chains = 144 yards = 72 cups = Christ Almighty man !

The decimal system is so much better, 10's 100's or 1000's

I'd like to think 'muricans would use a google conversion chart when making a new entry and enter foods by weight, where calories are easily converted, not volume, how does an orange fit into a cup and have the same calorific value as a weight of orange ?

I really wish the US would get on board with the metric system. As a scientist, I'm already mostly there anyways. And yes, way more simple.
  • neohdiver
    neohdiver Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    _mr_b wrote: »
    Although just in case the sue of a cup as a measurement doesn't get banned I'm off to design some kitchen scales that shun the metric system and measures in cups.

You know that would be impossible, right? Different foods have different densities. A cup of bluberries would register a vastly different number on a scale than a cup of olive oil, as an example.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    64crayons wrote: »
    For those who use metric, but still drink their beer and lager in <ahem> PINTS, 1/2 pint = 1 cup

Want to get confused? 1 pint = 16 ounces. 1 pound = 16 ounces. But 1 pint =/= 1 pound.

But "a pint is a pound the world around." :smiley: *

*Disclaimer: in reality, that only works for water and things with the same density (specific gravity) as water.
  • granturismo
    granturismo Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I prefer to use metric units but do find cup measurements for homemade dishes handy as best estimate particularly when I havent weighed my food or cant find a metric entry.
  • WendyLaubach
    WendyLaubach Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    In the age of the internet, it's pretty easy to convert between different units of measure.
  • High_Entropy
    High_Entropy Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    A lot of the food entries have options for grams. Go by those I guess?

lol, if that were the case I'd not of posted this rolleyes.gif
  • wtskinner
    wtskinner Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    levitateme wrote: »
    Agreed. Cup size is for boobies!

To be fair, when I read the headline that is where I thought this thread was going.

Same.

me too
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    U.S. measuring cups for solids
    measuring-spoons-clipart-cartoon-measuring-cups-0ckt1gdd.jpg

Also, most things also have entries for weight as well...usually grams or ounces, whatever your preference.
  • Dovekat
    Dovekat Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cup_(unit)

I go to wiki for everything lol
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options

12inches = 1lbs, 14lbs =1 stone, 27 stone = 16 grooberbangers, 23 grooberbangers = 4 chains = 144 yards = 72 cups = Christ Almighty man !

I'd like to think 'muricans would use a google conversion chart when making a new entry and enter foods by weight, where calories are easily converted, not volume, how does an orange fit into a cup and have the same calorific value as a weight of orange ?

If you peruse the forums you will see "get a food scale" and "weigh your solids" recommended often by veteran members. The thing is most Americans are accustomed to their measuring cups and spoons and many think weighing things out is actually some kind of disordered thinking.

Also, most people on MFP in general would probably opt for something like "orange - medium" rather than using cups anyway.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    What the hell is a "cup" ??

A cup of blueberries = how much in real measurements.

Can we ban the use of "a cup" and stick with the metric system please.

A metric cup is 250 ml... for fluids. An imperial cup is 8 fl. oz (which isn't the same an oz weight) which is closer to 240 ml. The difference is minimal. Solids occupying the same space would be "a cup".

weight is a better measurement, but that doesn't mean "a cup" isn't metric.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

I really wish the US would get on board with the metric system. As a scientist, I'm already mostly there anyways. And yes, way more simple.

I do not understand how inches (length) can ever be converted to lb (force).

And don't get me started on lb-m. Ever heard of a slug? It's a thing. Not just a squishy slow thing.
  • roxymuller
    roxymuller Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    use a measuring cup, like cwolfman13 shows.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    roxymuller wrote: »
    use a measuring cup, like cwolfman13 shows.
    A cup is much less accurate with solids, especially with things like blueberries that have large spaces between the blueberries.

It's much more accurate to use a food scale to weigh all solids rather than measuring cups/spoons.
  • oneoddsock
    oneoddsock Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    jnord8729 wrote: »
    But no, cup/ounce/pound/mile/yard etc all english units

We don't have cups in England. They are not a standard unit of measurement here.
    jnord8729 wrote: »
    @one no, the so called "American" unites are standard English units. Just the United States is the only country who still uses it. The unit system is called "SI" or "Standard Imperial" or "English" for short because it was the standard unit of measurement used by the British Empire. Most the industrialized world changed over during the late 40s and early 50s because everyone's factories got blown up during WW2. When they rebuilt, they made metric ones. We never switched because it's expensive.

But no, cup/ounce/pound/mile/yard etc all english units

Interesting. We call them imperial units in the UK - except for cups, which we don't use. The UK switched from imperial to metric over the latter decades of the 20th century, and the law changed in the mid-90s to legally oblige retailers to sell things in metric units. I'm very familiar with the other imperial units you mentioned, as are most Brits over the age of about 35, but very few people here understand what a cup is (as a unit of measurement).