Running and Losing Weight

Options

Replies

• mrsclc
    mrsclc Posts: 73
    Options
    From WebMD~ Muscle burns more calories/fat.

-Do Strength Training to Build Muscle

When you exercise, you use muscle. This helps build muscle mass, and muscle tissue burns more calories -- even when you're at rest -- than body fat. According to Wharton, 10 pounds of muscle would burn 50 calories in a day spent at rest, while 10 pounds of fat would burn 20 calories.

"The most effective way to increase metabolism and burn more calories is by aerobic exercise and strength training. Both are important," School of Nutrition and Exercise Science at Bastyr University, says in an email interview.-
  • tam120
    tam120 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I read an article about this very thing a few weeks ago. It was written by a distance runner and personal trainer. I'll see if I can find it again but basically she said when she was training for marathons and running long distances she had a lot of fat. Once that training was over she switched to HIIT and strength training and her body changed, she lost the fat and gained definition. She says your body gets very efficient during endurance exercises so you have to shake it up, basically surprise it by adding high intensity intervals.
  • DancinSMartiPants
    Options
    I am also curious about what others say, but offer this anecdotal evidence to the pool:

I started running this January and by February was running 4-5 times a week with 3-4 miles in each run. That lasted until it started getting hot here in April. (I get heat induced migraines.) During that time I went from 286 pounds to 250/255 pounds for a loss of about 1.5 pounds/week. Then there was a 6 week hiatus in there before I got the gumption to join a gym and run on the treadmill. During that time I was doing Slim in 6 and 30DS as well as watching calories. I lost 28 pounds during that 6 weeks which is about 4.5 pounds/week.
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I definitely have noticed a change in my body and I have built up my leg muscles running, but I definitely did it at the expense of not strength training much at all otherwise.

And as for food and exercise calories, I have an HRM for when I work out. And I am quite accurate about my food. I measure and weight and usually eat my own food that I prepare myself so I know what I'm eating. I've been even more strict in the last 2 weeks about not eating out for lunch and that's made an impact as well.

I also might not have been eating enough for all the cardio I was doing (and thus all the calories I was burning). I eat about 1500 calories a day right now.

Everyone on here has good input, and I am near a healthy weight so building up muscle that in turn burns more calories at rest is definitely going to be really important.
  • mrsclc
    mrsclc Posts: 73
    Options
    So basically if you're building more muscle, your body has started burning more off :smile:
  • rainbowbuggy
    rainbowbuggy Posts: 320
    Options
    Bumping because I would like to see the responses. Big debate going on in my little brain ;)
  • cammons
    cammons Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Running a regular schedule has never been my problem when it comes to the scale not moving, but you are right, there is a need for some balance between the cardio and strength training. Running makes me feel like Superman, weight training does not so I have a hard time sticking with it but I'm working hard on that.

I think what might be happening is that your body is reacting to you mixing things up. You would be shocked at how easily our bodies get used to doing a specific activity day after day, over time you might notice that you burn fewer and fewer calories doing the same workout. Partly this is due to a lower weight, but partly it is simply that your muscles are doing tat one thing you've asked of them more efficiently so they don't need to work as hard. I have also noticed that there is a tendency to eat more than you've really earned on a run....just because you feel shredded after a run (and might feel like Superman) doesn't mean that you really deserve that Klondike bar, or extra helping at dinner. (Do you use a HRM or let MFP calculate calorie burns for you? )

You could also play with the types of runs you do during the week; I often have one long, slow run each week, one really easy run and one with faster and slower intervals...I'm trying to convince myself to start working on hills but I'm still hunting for the right hill in our area.

I've found over the years that I get the best results when I keep my body guessing by changing up at least part of my fitness routine every month or so.
  • keith0373
    keith0373 Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    From WebMD~ Muscle burns more calories/fat.

-Do Strength Training to Build Muscle

When you exercise, you use muscle. This helps build muscle mass, and muscle tissue burns more calories -- even when you're at rest -- than body fat. According to Wharton, 10 pounds of muscle would burn 50 calories in a day spent at rest, while 10 pounds of fat would burn 20 calories.

"The most effective way to increase metabolism and burn more calories is by aerobic exercise and strength training. Both are important," School of Nutrition and Exercise Science at Bastyr University, says in an email interview.-

This is not reliable for a technically over weight female. It takes months of work for a guy to add a few pounds of muscle. Much more than that for a girl. You are transferring information that is designed for fit people to those that are less fit.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    It depends on how much you run and how close you watch the diet.

I am having no trouble losing fat by just running but I am now running for 8 to 10 hours a week and burning 6000 to 7000 calories while maintaining a daily calorie deficit,

Bodyfat is down to around 10 or 11% according to the calipers and weight is lowest it has been since 1986. That is with eating around 2800 to 3000 calories a day.

So running a lot without lifting weights does not prevent weight loss, nor does it cause skinny fat, unless you simply continue to eat more than you burn.
  • Melis25Fit
    Melis25Fit Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • keith0373
    keith0373 Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    Part of it is in how fast you run as well. It is all about the heart rate! What most people would consider HIIT training is my normal pace (7.5 to 8.5 minute miles). In running at this speed I maintain my HR between 160 and 175 @ 38 years old. I do lift as well and am not saying not to do both, but you still have alot you can gain with cardio. You just have to get out of your comfort zone with it. Your body is used to what you have been doing for the last year plus.
  • Mrs_TrimWaistFatWallet
    Options
    My workouts are around ~3 hours long because I'm training for an endurance event. I may be anywhere from 500-2000 calories 'in deficit' because I can't eat back that many calories. But, I'm pretty much at a standstill, which is exactly what a lot of people see when they do a LOT of cardio.

A lot of cardio puts you at risk of losing muscle before losing fat. Search for studies of endurance athletes. They'll lose a significant percent of muscle without a single drop in body fat. But, this is the extreme.

There are a few additional reasons that you might have been at a standstill from just cardio. Did you have pre-workout meals? Having a meal 60-90 min before a run is important because you don't use up your whole glycogen stores. Any long workouts need protein immediately after, or even mid-way through if its over 60-90 minutes long. Protein helps repair muscles almost 20% faster if you had it within the 30-min window after the workout.

A huge point: were you going by what MFP said you burned or a BodyMedia/BodyBugg/HRM? MFP quotes me WAY higher than my actual burn, and I still ate to a 500 cal deficit every day. Incorrect estimations for food or workouts can easily wipe out your daily progress.

Theres a lot of things that could have caused your plateau, but definitely adding weight lifting helped you through it. Running alone doesn't cause a standstill. Either way it seems you broke through your plateau.
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    To answer a few questions:

- I had gotten comfortable with my running pace, so I've been running intervals at 6.0 or 6.5 mph (my comfy pace is around 5.0) and that's helped to really push me. I've also had some trouble with allergies and my exercise asthma and not being able to give it my all when I run.

- I do use an HRM

- I do think food as well had something to do it with it. But it seems the plateau busting was a combination of a few factors, the most drastic being the change in exercise routine.
  • fidgekitty
    fidgekitty Posts: 43
    Options
    I would say it's the mix of running and strength training. Your body will work to become efficient at actions and movements it does frequently. By switching it up, especially with strength training and building lean muscle, your body has to change and readapt, therefore overcoming your plateau. Congrats :D
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    The biggest factor is settling into a moderate-effort steady state cardio routine. It's not the running per se, but I would suspect more the steady-state routine you were in.

Plenty of people see an immediate and dramatic effect when they take up running. Why? Because running is a high-intensity activity and they were probably working at a much lower level.

Many people can get a similar effect from just adding more higher-intensity intervals.

In this case the higher-intensity work is likely what got you going and the fact that it represented a change from your routine.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    It's important to exercise caution when drawing conclusions from the effects of a change in routine. Often, it is the type of change that is responsible, not the specific activity.

It would be wrong to assume-- because someone switched from a mostly steady-state aerobic program to an interval circuit training program and saw an improvement -- that "all cardio is bad" or that "running eats your muscle" or "HIIT is the best exercise". I have seen plenty of people become stagnant on a steady routine of HIIT training and see big changes when they included some steady-state endurance training back into their routines.

A balanced routine--endurance cardio, tempo cardio, interval cardio, resistance training--will provide the best results for most people.
  • luvJOJO
    luvJOJO Posts: 1,881 Member
    Options
    I've personally always seen better results when I strength train vs. just cardio. And I've always heard the more muscle, the more fat you burn and the more muscle you have the faster your metabolism.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    My $.02:

A couple of 3-4 mile runs per week isn't going to melt off the pounds, as the calories burned are pretty modest (perhaps 100 - 125 calories per mile depending on your weight).

For me (a guy who typically runs ~ 50 miles per week) it all comes down to simple math. Burn more than I eat and I lose, eat more that I burn and I gain.

I do lift weights a couple times a week as well.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    Last fall I decided to take up running seriously and train for a half marathon with the "side benefit" of losing weight. I'd ran 5Ks in the past, so why not right? This worked out for a while, but...

My issue, over time, with training for a half marathon program earlier this year was the increased appetite. I couldn't create a deficit without feeling like I was going to go into a hunger rage. I was running about 32 miles per week at my peak. I was eating at maintenance level and above (compensating for the increase in activity over a normal strength training routine as I'd been used to). There was no balance the more I trained; longer I ran. I lost a good deal of the muscle definition in my arms that I was previously quite proud of. I went from being able to easily complete 30 push-ups to struggling with 10. In the weeks leading up to the half, my form started to suffer and I was feeling pretty crappy. Ran the half anyway, got 12 miles thru, had SERIOUS pain in my heel and IT band and had to hobble the last mile to finish. I ended up gaining weight on the program and having recurring bouts of plantar fasciitis. Lesson learned, I guess.

The nice thing about having varied workouts is you may not get that same effect. Strength training and intervals do not cause me to have the hunger monster that distance running did. The workouts are efficient, build strength, and take FAR less time than running. I can stay within a sensible caloric deficit and feel satisfied. I've also had fewer injuries giving up on the distance running....but...that's just my own experience.

So yeah...balance is good.
  • jamckinnon2010
    Options
    The more you run (without the addition of strength training), the more your body adapts and learns how to conserve energy. That is, the body becomes more efficient and burns less calories for the same amount of running over time.