Am I eating enough

Options
Now training 4 times a week my PT who I have twice a week has told me to eat 1500 cals a day . Is this too much? I'm 14 stone and 5ft 5? Told me to eat clean I feel I'm eating a lot maybe too much. All low cal stuff clean foods .

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    We don't know your activity level or your goal.

Your subject line asks if you're eating enough, but then you ask if you're eating too much.

It doesn't matter if the food is low calorie or "clean," it's the total calories you eat. If you find that you're losing weight faster than you planned, you are eating too little. If you don't lose weight or if you gain weight, you're eating too much.
  • muccica07
    muccica07 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I'm at about 1400 calories myself and am currently 130 and 5'. I definitely dont think 1500 is too much. A lot of people get stuck in under eating (I've struggled with it) Many think eat less, weigh less. However this is not always true. If you are not getting enough you can stop your metabolism and really mess it up, which will prevent you from losing weight. It's super hard to find that happy calorie range but once you do, that'll be it. I'd be happy to talk to you more about this, and give you any pointers I've learned. Feel free to PM me :-)
  • Equus5374
    Equus5374 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    muccica07 wrote: »
    I'm at about 1400 calories myself and am currently 130 and 5'. I definitely dont think 1500 is too much. A lot of people get stuck in under eating (I've struggled with it) Many think eat less, weigh less. However this is not always true. If you are not getting enough you can stop your metabolism and really mess it up, which will prevent you from losing weight. It's super hard to find that happy calorie range but once you do, that'll be it. I'd be happy to talk to you more about this, and give you any pointers I've learned. Feel free to PM me :-)

No, no you can't "stop your metabolism." This only happens after severe starvation and malnutrition for weeks and months. If she's eating much less, she'll just lose faster. As another poster stated, if she's not losing, she's eating too much.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    No, I don't think that's too much.

If you are "eating clean" I'm guessing you're eating a lot of veggies/fruits. They are more filling due to their tendency to be higher in fiber than many other "non-clean" foods. That's why you feel like you're eating a lot. I know that for me, at a certain point I feel like I'm tired of chewing raw veggies and I'd rather not eat than chew another bite. (That likely speaks to a certain amount of laziness on my part.)

But, no, I don't think that's too much. I'm around your height and at the same weight I was eating 1750ish calories per day and losing, while exercising 5-6 days per week.
  • harrybananas
    harrybananas Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Equus5374 wrote: »

No, no you can't "stop your metabolism." This only happens after severe starvation and malnutrition for weeks and months. If she's eating much less, she'll just lose faster. As another poster stated, if she's not losing, she's eating too much.

Yes your metabolism can be stopped. There is one way and it's not hard to figure out.
  • Equus5374
    Equus5374 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Equus5374 wrote: »

Yes your metabolism can be stopped. There is one way and it's not hard to figure out.

You are right, it can...it's called death.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

Death is the only way to stop a metabolism.
  • skinnyka22a
    skinnyka22a Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info peeps. Sometimes replies on here have attitude and put ya off asking advice . There's no need to be nasty when people are asking for advice . Surely that's what the chat is all about . Some people need to give their head a wobble and chill