Unused calories: is it ok not to eat them

Options
Odd question this: what's the potential impact of not eating my calories for day?

Normally I happily munch through my 1,200 but today I've had to work late and had my evening meal very late. I've still got 370 calories left but have neither the energy, hunger or inclination to eat them. I'm guessing it's fine not to eat them just this once?

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Just once probably isn't a big deal. But don't make a habit of it.
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Have them over the weekend for an extra treat!
  • genivar
    genivar Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem Grumpy. Sometimes I get to the end of the day, (like now) and have 800+ calories to go. I could easily go have fries and beer and get them all in, but I don't want to do that either. I don't have the gumption to go cook chicken breast and make a salad. It just all seems like a lot of work every day.
    I need a chef. Today I had a banana, some homemade baked beans, cucumber, yellow peppers, homemade ministroni, an orange and I'm at a ridiculous 505 cals. I know it isn't ok not to eat, but if it's the end of the day, does it really matter? It seems silly to consume 800 calories past 6pm. Calories are a struggle every day.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    genivar wrote: »
    I have the same problem Grumpy. Sometimes I get to the end of the day, (like now) and have 800+ calories to go. I could easily go have fries and beer and get them all in, but I don't want to do that either. I don't have the gumption to go cook chicken breast and make a salad. It just all seems like a lot of work every day.
    I need a chef. Today I had a banana, some homemade baked beans, cucumber, yellow peppers, homemade ministroni, an orange and I'm at a ridiculous 505 cals. I know it isn't ok not to eat, but if it's the end of the day, does it really matter? It seems silly to consume 800 calories past 6pm. Calories are a struggle every day.

Why is it silly to give your body what it needs just because the hands on the clock are past a certain time?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options
    genivar wrote: »

Have a peanut butter sandwich. I like mine with banana and honey.

A chronic struggle with undereating should be addressed.
  • Gertie011
    Gertie011 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Im in the same boat, today I've had a migraine since 3pm, and am 300 calories under, so it wont let me complete my days diary, but every day Im a bit under. I have to say though, 800 calories under does seem a lot, especially if its every day, have you set the amount you want to lose each week correctly? Im only wondering, Im still new at this!
  • Azercord
    Azercord Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I don't worry about it especially if it isn't a habit mainly because I try to look at things week by week. Yes I want to hit my macros (more or less) each day and I don't want a huge deficit but I know that sometime this week I will either be really hungry one day or see a brownie that was looking at me funny and had to die and then that deficit is no more on the grand scale of things and I don't have to worry one way or the other. A habit of under eating is bad but we all have our off days.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    Azercord wrote: »
    I don't worry about it especially if it isn't a habit mainly because I try to look at things week by week. Yes I want to hit my macros (more or less) each day and I don't want a huge deficit but I know that sometime this week I will either be really hungry one day or see a brownie that was looking at me funny and had to die and then that deficit is no more on the grand scale of things and I don't have to worry one way or the other. A habit of under eating is bad but we all have our off days.

Aaaaaand you are my favorite person of the day
  • emmycantbemeeko
    emmycantbemeeko Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    As a once in a while thing, not a big deal, but chronically eating only ~500 calories a day and not feeling at all hungry suggests that either you're underestimating your actual intake or you have a potential health issue. If that's what you're really eating consistently, it is a problem- it's not enough food to sustain your body in the long run, or to get all the nutrition you need.
  • Downwinds
    Downwinds Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I never force myself to eat if I don't feel like it. I get close to my goal number most days. Assuming you're trying to *lose* weight, why worry about eating less once in a while? Before you were counting everything, I'm assuming you must have the ability to eat like this and you wouldn't know any different if you were being intuitive alone. There's probably gonna be a few days where you end up about that much over your daily allowance. As long as the majority are fairly close to the goal, seems fine to me.
  • genivar
    genivar Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Gertie011 wrote: »
    Im in the same boat, today I've had a migraine since 3pm, and am 300 calories under, so it wont let me complete my days diary, but every day Im a bit under. I have to say though, 800 calories under does seem a lot, especially if its every day, have you set the amount you want to lose each week correctly? Im only wondering, Im still new at this!

I didn't set anything, I'm 5'4" 170 lbs bmi says I'm obese and the calorie is set to 1200. I used to eat twice that with beer and sandwiches but I'm over analyzing and need to get past it. It's just hard to let go.