Seriously getting frustrated!

Options
I know, I know, it's only been 15 days since I started this whole weight loss kick seriously. And while 3 pounds lost is still 3 pounds lost, I'm confused that it isn't more than that! I'm consistently at my calorie goal for the day, I'm drinking 12 glasses of water a day, I walk/run at least 90 minutes every day during the week (I take weekends off from the running), and still... just 3 small pounds. And worse yet, I'm getting lazy. I sit at a desk all day. I haven't been sleeping well, and all I want to do when I get home is lay on the couch and nap. I still get up and do my run around town, but then I come home and I fall into a tv coma for at least 3 hours and then go to bed. I know this isn't okay.

How do I get my energy up and my motivation back? Because my 80s hair bands playlist on the ipod just isn't cutting it any more.

Replies

• jamaka1
    jamaka1 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    ur doing gr8
  • mattbryan
    mattbryan Posts: 147
    Options
    Any changes you make will help your body adjust to your routine. It will help you avoid plateauing and hopefully keep the change coming. 3-4 pounds in 2 weeks really is about average though. Regarding sleep issues and listlessness, make sure you're getting good nutritian. Suppliments will help if you need it.

Oh...and I want to know what you have on your 80s playlist!
  • skygoddess86
    skygoddess86 Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Exercising 90 minutes a day doesn't sound lazy to me.
  • trainguy917
    trainguy917 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    With only 35 pounds to lose, 3 pounds in 15 days is right on target. You're losing at just a little bit faster than a pound a week. Try not to think about this whole health thing as a sprint, but a marathon. Eat healtfully, emphasizing proteins and only good carbs (no sugar or starchy foods) and try not to worry so much about the numbers on the scale. You're doing fine, promise.
  • davidrt
    davidrt Posts: 162
    Options
    you said yourself you have only been doing this 15 days, i know its frustrating when you hit a spot when you dont lose anything but, you cant quit, get someone to work out with you, its hard not to if you have each other to push,nothing is wrong with being at your calorie goal just not way over or under, change up what you do as our bodies get used to things its harder to lose
  • cfppro
    cfppro Posts: 7
    Options
    I have been doing much better since I reduced the amount of fruit I eat. Any amount of sugar kills my weight loss even if my calories are low.
  • coleyco30
    coleyco30 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Any changes you make will help your body adjust to your routine. It will help you avoid plateauing and hopefully keep the change coming. 3-4 pounds in 2 weeks really is about average though. Regarding sleep issues and listlessness, make sure you're getting good nutritian. Suppliments will help if you need it.

Oh...and I want to know what you have on your 80s playlist!

Ha! What don't I have on the playlist? The standards of Journey and Bon Jovi and Def Leppard, but I make it a point to start every workout to "18 and Life" by Skid Row! Throw in some Poison, Ratt, Scorpion and the great voices of Lita Ford and Belinda Carlisle and usually I'm good to go. The neighborhood children are tired of me singing "Love is a Battlefield" though.

I really think it is the stress at work that's making the sleep and listlessness an issue, but I should probably check my nutrition, you're right about that... pretty sure I'm always low on iron.
  • coleyco30
    Options
    Exercising 90 minutes a day doesn't sound lazy to me.

Probably 80 minutes of that is brisk walking.. and I sometimes feel guilty about that. But um, you're icon totally just made me laugh and inspired me for today!
  • skinnymeinaz
    skinnymeinaz Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    switch up your exercise routine. your body will get use to using the same exercise
  • SassyStef
    SassyStef Posts: 413
    Options
    one day at a time :) you will get there if you keep up what you are doing...if you find that you hit a plateau just try changing up your diet a bit.
  • kater8er
    kater8er Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel...I feel the same way! I've only lost 3 pounds and I've been at it a month! But the first week or two I was just trying to stay within my calorie range---because counting made me realize how much I normally eat and it was *way* over 1280 cals a day. The next week or so I focused on eating smaller meals and more often and eating more protein, as well as adding intervals. Now my target is tapering my carbs throughout the day and trying to eat less sugar--it kills mine too, I think. Just make small changes and then you won't feel so overwhelmed! All this hard work won't be for nothing, I'm sure of it :)
  • Arizona_JR
    Arizona_JR Posts: 275
    Options
    I had read that it is normal to retain water weight in the first few weeks of a new workout routine; the body retains water to repair the muscles. Now I'm not completely sure how long this effect lasts, and if it's mainly for strength training or also tough cardio.

I lost 6 pounds in the first 12 days and nothing since (another 5 days), but I've also been working out hard with both weights and tough runs.

Just try not to get frustrated. I'm not. Remember that the weight was gained slowly, and therefor will come off slowly as well. Chin up my friend. :smile:
  • coleyco30
    Options
    switch up your exercise routine. your body will get use to using the same exercise

That's just it... I've found I'm really not an exercise type of person :( Walking/Running is about the extent of what I can do. I've attempted the gym several times, but each time I've just stopped going within three days because either work got in the way or I just didn't feel like it.
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you're losing about a pound a week, which is healthy weight loss. Just keep it up, check your food journal regularly, and challenge yourself during your workouts. Good luck!
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    You'll find that it's a very slow process. But, the slower you lose it the less likely you are to gain it back. I've been going at it since February and am just at about 20lbs down. That being said, I've never deprived myself, never had any major breakdowns, and I've seen marked changes in myself. Be patient, give yourself credit for making the change, and realize that it will happen in time.
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Dang duplicate post! :(
  • NuevaNatalia
    NuevaNatalia Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Are you including strength training as well? Strength training and cardio will help the weight loss. Also, are making sure you are (after a 90 minute workout) eating enough calories? Let's say your caloric intake is recommended at 1200 and a 90 minute run is 500, you will be significantly under your caloric intake and the body will want to shut down.

Lastly be patient. Slow and steady wins the race.

P.S. I'm like you and I work in an office, sitting on my butt all day. In fact, that's where I am now. Good thing they have a gym.
  • spleece
    spleece Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/user/BodyPerformanceTV#p/u/137/SRIfd4dzfW8

If you look at this link this might be happening to you. Hope this helps