Kardashian Atkins diet

Options
I was watching trashy entertainment tv while making dinner today. And they are saying how Kim lost baby weight on Atkins. I have no issue with Atkins and don't care how anyone loses weight. But the Atkins VP says you can eat 25% more calories on Atkins? (I don't think it's in this link but on tv she said as opposed to a low calorie diet).

http://m.eonline.com/news/489772/all-about-kim-kardashian-s-atkins-diet-how-the-star-dropped-the-baby-weight-fast

Replies

• ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    It's on the Internet so it must be true, amirite?
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    I was watching trashy entertainment tv while making dinner today. And they are saying how Kim lost baby weight on Atkins. I have no issue with Atkins and don't care how anyone loses weight. But the Atkins VP says you can eat 25% more calories on Atkins? (I don't think it's in this link but on tv she said as opposed to a low calorie diet).

http://m.eonline.com/news/489772/all-about-kim-kardashian-s-atkins-diet-how-the-star-dropped-the-baby-weight-fast

People with a product to sell often say outlandish and untrue things in order to make their product sound more appealing.
  • neversaynever_43
    neversaynever_43 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I am going to create a beer and M&Ms diet! And on my diet you can eat 50% more calories. You're welcome!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    A low-carb/ketogenic diet can not and does not defy the laws of thermodynamics/energy balance. If you eat more calories than you burn, you gain weight. If you eat less calories than you burn, you lose weight. Period. No diet/way of eating will change that, despite what some may claim.

The biggest "claim to fame" for low-carb diets is a higher initial loss in water weight, because carbohydrates bond with water. When you eliminate the carbs, you also eliminate a lot of accompanying water.

Low-carb is a valid way of eating for those who find it satiating and easy to adhere to. If you create a calorie deficit, you'll lose weight just like you will on any other diet/way of eating. But above and beyond that, there's nothing miraculous about it from a weight loss standpoint.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    There may be a very slight thermogenic advantage to low carb but it certainly isn't 25% ( or 20 or 15 or...).
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I am going to create a beer and M&Ms diet! And on my diet you can eat 50% more calories. You're welcome!

Switch it to peanut butter cups and Im in!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

Write a book about it, complete with glossy photos, big words and a bunch of junk studies. Guaranteed people will buy it. Bonus points if you can get some airhead celebrity to endorse it. As P.T. Barnum said, "there's a sucker born every minute".
  • Janehds0284
    Janehds0284 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Atkins works with me in a very short time then yoyo because I was craving for carb real bad after. <<which to me, means it doesn't really work :)

I have tried many ways of diet and MFP is so far the winner. I can eat anything I want just need to learn to manage calories better.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I stopped reading at the kardashians
  • chirosche
    chirosche Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I do low carb dieting protocol and have found that my body prefers it. Basically, I eat meat and prepare a great vegetable dish every day. I toss in a protein shake and I'm good. But it's true what one of the posters said, eat less calories, based on your BMR and TDEE calculations and you'll lose. I still have to log all my meals because if I didn't, I would not lose. I've tried. Usually, low carbers say eat till satisfied, but I found that is easy but you still have to watch those calories. Satisfied can mean different things for different people. I tried going back to a low fat diet with the usual carbs like oatmeal, rice, potatoes, but I became extremely lethargic and just didn't have any energy. I went back to low carb and realized that my body prefers it. My energy shot back up. I do chose my days when I will have a cheat day. I don't binge on cheat days.
  • bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    Options

People with a product to sell often say outlandish and untrue things in order to make their product sound more appealing.

No! My faith in humanity...

Just never say 50% more calories than what. Leave it ambiguous, then when finally pushed, in small disclaimer print it says 50% more than 2/3 of the calories required to maintain a weight loss deficit...
  • neversaynever_43
    neversaynever_43 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    These are all solid recommendations. I will be sure to dedicate my new diet book to all of you!

(And of course I will include peanut butter cups! I am not a tyrant)