Peanut Butter Questions

Options
2»

Replies

• thrashertm
    thrashertm Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    1. I don't see foods as good or bad but I generally try to avoid hydrogenated oils because it means it has trans fat even if it has 0 grams on the label
    2. Krema Peanut Butter is my go to. You can find it at Walmart. Only ingredient is peanuts and I just checked the label, refrigeration is optional. For a 32 gram serving, it has 190 calories 16 grams of fat and 7 carbs. No sodium, 1 gram of sugar and 8 grams of protein.
    3. Krema has 2 grams of saturated fats, 5 grams polyunsaturated and 8 grams monounsaturated

I love Krema!

2nded! somehow they process it and it seems much sweeter than other natural peanut butters
  • cbihatt
    cbihatt Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I have tried several different brands of natural peanut butter. In my opinion, some taste better than others. I think the Smuckers brand is awful, but Krema is good (if a little pricey), and Kroger has a store brand that is tasty, but a little saltier than Krema. I believe Skippy Natural contains palm oil, if you are concerned about that.

There is no problem storing it in the pantry. I think the main reason for storing in the fridge is to keep the oil from separating. Solve this by storing upside down, if you prefer, or just stir before using.

I am personally not a fan of peanut butter in my oatmeal, but I understand it is a popular addition for others. You can also cook your oatmeal in milk rather than water or try adding different toppings...fruit, chocolate chips, coconut shavings...use your imagination.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Hi guys, I'm looking for some peanut butter to make my plain old quaker oatmeal more dense in calories and flavours. However, i have a few questions about it though...

1. Is brands like skippy really bad due to hydrogenated vegetable oil?
    Fully hydrogenated oils are not trans fats. IDK what Skippy has but if the ingredients label says partially hydrogenated or hydrogenated I'd skip on to another brand without them.
    2. I'm currently looking at healthier alternatives. Those natural peanut butter with oil on the top. Main ingredients will be only peanut and some salt. However, can i store it in room temperature after opening? I do not have access to a fridge atm though..
    Yes, this can be stored at room temperature. You will likely have to stir it every time you use it though. In the fridge it will stay mixed.
    3. Are the fats in all peanut butter good fats? Or it it mainly bad fats like saturated fats?

Most of the fats in peanuts are unsaturated. There is some saturated fat but some saturated fat is a good thing. It's only when we get too much that it become a problem. Just check the ingredients and nutrition labels if you are buy a blended peanut butter with added ingredients.
  • pepper_pup
    pepper_pup Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi guys, I'm looking for some peanut butter to make my plain old quaker oatmeal more dense in calories and flavours. However, i have a few questions about it though...

1. Is brands like skippy really bad due to hydrogenated vegetable oil?
    2. I'm currently looking at healthier alternatives. Those natural peanut butter with oil on the top. Main ingredients will be only peanut and some salt. However, can i store it in room temperature after opening? I do not have access to a fridge atm though..
    3. Are the fats in all peanut butter good fats? Or it it mainly bad fats like saturated fats?

I'm so confused about it right now... There are like thousands of different opinion on the web with regards to questions 2. Hope some MFP experts could enlighten me. Thanks a bunch!

• annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    AngelinaB_ wrote: »
    If you want to avoid fat at all like I do, try dehidrated- PB2 (available in Cotsco for 5 bucks or so) or you can get another one called Just Great Stuff that it's being sold on natural grocery stores such as Sprouts here in So Cal. Let me just say it's really yummy. Great for snacking, smoothies and so on. Cheers

I second (or third) the PB2 or other powdered peanut butter.
    Tastes terrific, and so few calories!
    I think Jiff sells the powdered stuff now in regular grocery stores...