Why am I not losing weight?

Options
I joined WW the first week in January, and since then also started tracking with myfitnesspal. I have kept in the 1200 calories (30 WW pts.) and exercised, but I've only lost 2.4 pounds in 3 weeks (and that was in the first week ~ which I attributed to water loss.) It's hard not to get discouraged.

Replies

• mrsb461
    mrsb461 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Eat half of your exercise points/calories. Your body may need more fuel.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Losing 2.4 pounds in 3 weeks is good.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

This
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    Pit1983 wrote: »
    You can use herbal treatment to loose your weight. It worked on me. Check out the article http://stopdisease.net/health-beauty/excess-weight-or-thinness/lose-weight-without-a-diet/

No. Op please don't listen to this.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options

This is Especially true if you really only have 10 lbs. to lose, as your ticker indicates.

• eddiesmith1
    eddiesmith1 Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options

this, but there are many variable, how much do you need to lose for instance, what is your TDEE? how much water are you drinking. ..... for someone like me who needed to lose 55 lbs on Jan 1st 2.4 pounds wouldn't be much (I'm down 11 mostly due to water though) . for someone smaller than me who needs to lose 10-15 it's actually good
    make sure you are drinking enough fluids and weigh everything you eat (a cube of cheese is not a measurement it's easy to be over. for things like a tbsp of peanut butter audit the weight your tablespoon is level and use that)
    Good luck with your goals
  • eddiesmith1
    eddiesmith1 Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    Pit1983 wrote: »
    You can use herbal treatment to loose your weight. It worked on me. Check out the article http://stopdisease.net/health-beauty/excess-weight-or-thinness/lose-weight-without-a-diet/

No. Op please don't listen to this.

exactly that was a spam post trying to sell garbage
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

this, but there are many variable, how much do you need to lose for instance, what is your TDEE? how much water are you drinking. ..... for someone like me who needed to lose 55 lbs on Jan 1st 2.4 pounds wouldn't be much (I'm down 11 mostly due to water though) . for someone smaller than me who needs to lose 10-15 it's actually good
    make sure you are drinking enough fluids and weigh everything you eat (a cube of cheese is not a measurement it's easy to be over. for things like a tbsp of peanut butter audit the weight your tablespoon is level and use that)

For peanut butter, a scale is going to be much more accurate than a tablespoon.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    mrsb461 wrote: »

No. If she is not losing weight the answer is not eat more.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options

Agreed. I wouldn't call 2.4lbs in 3 weeks "not losing weight".
  • heatherlewisis
    heatherlewisis Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    How much did you expect to lose in 3 weeks?
  • Verdenal
    Verdenal Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    skondik wrote: »
    I joined WW the first week in January, and since then also started tracking with myfitnesspal. I have kept in the 1200 calories (30 WW pts.) and exercised, but I've only lost 2.4 pounds in 3 weeks (and that was in the first week ~ which I attributed to water loss.) It's hard not to get discouraged.

Have you weighed and recorded everything you've eaten? I assume that 1200 calories is enough to create a deficit, but have you done the math? 1200 is too many calories for me to lose weight unless I'm active. Depending on your starting weight, 2.4 pounds may be a reasonable amount for three weeks.

Check what you're eating, but common sense should tell you that the solution is not to eat more. People typically underestimate their calories and overestimate their caloric burn from exercise.
  • murp4069
    murp4069 Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your loss! Don't be discouraged, we didn't put weight on in a short and we can't expect to take it off in a short time either. Keep going and remember that you are going to have fluctuations and weight loss isn't linear.
  • Verdenal
    Verdenal Posts: 625 Member
    Options

For peanut butter, a scale is going to be much more accurate than a tablespoon.

Yes, a scale with a tare function, which subtracts the weight of the container. Such scales cost $20.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,994 Member
    Options
    2.4 pounds in 3 weeks is really good. You shouldn't really be expecting to lose any faster than that. Don't give up. It will take a while, but you'll get there.
  • gissily04
    gissily04 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I find that when you are first starting diet and exersize it takes a while for your body to adjust to the change. It will happen
  • skondik
    skondik Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the support and encouragement. :)
  • inglysh731
    inglysh731 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I didn't start losing weight until I started using MFP. Last 2.5 weeks of Nov I walked over 80 miles while hunting and ended up gaining 10 pounds (and it wasn't a good 10 lbs). I was shocked. It was definitely not how I wanted to kick things off. I thought about getting serious when I got back home in December. A month of rigorous adherence to a diet I'd been successful with in the past and I'd only lost 2.5 pounds. That diet was 6 years ago and a lot has changed since then. It was time to evolve.

The weight you have seen come off is a great start. Try not to let the number frustrate you because it's not what you want to see. You'll get your results, be persistent. Learning you and how you can manage your weight may take some trial and error during your journey, so don't be afraid to adjust or ask for help. Getting to your target (cliche... sorry) is a marathon, not a sprint.

Good Luck and Have Fun.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    mrsb461 wrote: »

No ... eating more does not cause weight loss. Eating at a deficit does.

OP, you are losing weight. At a good rate, too! The weight didn't come on over night and it's not going to leave fast, either. Patience and persistence are key. Weight loss is a marathon, not a sprint. And it's not a linear process--the scale isn't going to do down each time you weigh in--you just have to trust the process and know the overall downward trend will head downward.

Hang in there, log accurately and consistently and you'll get there! :smiley:
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    0ke412gt21wz.jpg

Jus thought i'd drop this here, but I agree with @Psychgrrl , you are losing weight. Don't let the week in week out stuff get to you. Weight loss happens over periods of MONTHS. You're not gonna see much in time spans still measureable by weeks. Plus, if you're pre-menopausal, or just getting out of menopause, your scale weight matters less than what you see visually or what you can measure with a tape around your waist. We retain TONS of water at certain points throughout the month because of our cycles. I typically weigh the same for 3 weeks, then gain 3-5lbs over TOM, then drop 6-7-8 lbs from that over a period of a few days when it's over. You're doing well. Stick with this, it's not even a hiccup, just an exercise in patience.