Advice needed on how to lower my salt intake....Please Help

Options
yall i am soooo bloated from my chinese food yesterday. my rings wont budge. It makes me want to work on my salt intake. Believe it or not, reducing my salt is going to be the hardest part of my eating healthier. Because I add salty spices and plain ole salt to season my "healthier" foods, I really don't know how to cook with less salty spices and less plain salt. I love spicy foods. I'm scared that NOTHING is going to taste good now. But heart disease runs in my family and I'm working on my cholesterol, but I've been afraid to work on my salt intake. But, for my health, I know I've got to get this part of my eating under control. Any of you have advice and experiences with lessening your salt intake? Oh, and the chinese food was a cheat meal. The rest of the time, I've done really well eating more nutritiously. Thanks in advance for any input you may have.

Replies

• ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I've been low salt for awhile now. It really helps to have a good assortment of dried herbs like basil, oregano, thyme, chili, etc. Get minced garlic, dried onion, and any of the other herb type things that pique your fancy.
    Then hit the salt-free seasoning section of the grocery store. It's not just "Mrs. Dash" anymore. I have about a dozen different salt free mixes that I use for all kinds of things. If you like spicy, look at McCormick's Perfect Pinch Southwest Sweet-n-Smoky and Fiesta Citrus (Fiesta Citrus on tilapia makes awesome fish taco!).

There are a dozen or so different kinds of peppercorn. I have three grinders, one with plain black peppercorn, one with red (sometimes it's called 'pink') peppercorn and one with a three pepper blend. Black peppercorn for almost everything, red peppercorn has a little more flowery herb taste and works great in eggs and soups. Three pepper blend is good for bold meats like beef and pork.

Try cutting salt out slowly- Try, oh, one dish per meal that you would normally put salt in that you leave salt out of and replace it with some other seasoning. Now, my main salt splurge comes from bacon on weekends. I've found after a year of swapping out salt that sometimes I don't enjoy eating out because everything tastes so salty.

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Prepared, canned, and packaged food has lots of sodium.
    Add one dish a week to your repertoire of meals you cook from home.
    http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/10-quick-dinner-stir-fry-recipes-under-280-calories/
    http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/4-delicious-taco-recipes/
  • Sandytoes71
    Sandytoes71 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Thank you ladies :smiley:
  • xX_PhoenixRising_Xx
    xX_PhoenixRising_Xx Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I used to wonder how to cut down sodium too, but I agree, herbs and spices that don't have salt added to them. There are plenty out there. My food has plenty of spice and flavour and my sodium is often under 1000 per day. It just happened naturally when I cut out take out food and started creating really nice meals.

Funny thing now is I can't stand fast food, it tastes so salty. Last time I tried a mouthful of Pizza Hut pizza I had to spit it out.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    I don't like the taste of salt so I have a drawer full of herbs and spices and mix everything myself.
    I really enjoy doing it. Lovely little piles of freshly ground, colourful herbs and spice are so satisfying. I buy in bulk and store everything in little Ikea spice jars.
    It is a bit expensive establishing the collection, but once you have your most used you just need to top off occasionally.
    Mixing your own has a much fresher flavour too.

Cheers, h.

• MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    You could also "up" your potassium foods.
    Beans, banana, dark greens, fish, avocados, low fat milk, broccoli, carrots.
    Drink lots of water to help flush.
  • Sandytoes71
    Options
    I used to wonder how to cut down sodium too, but I agree, herbs and spices that don't have salt added to them. There are plenty out there. My food has plenty of spice and flavour and my sodium is often under 1000 per day. It just happened naturally when I cut out take out food and started creating really nice meals.

Funny thing now is I can't stand fast food, it tastes so salty. Last time I tried a mouthful of Pizza Hut pizza I had to spit it out.

lol, i don't think I will ever spit pizza out LMBO! But, I have cut out most processed foods and ate only one fast food once the other night (cheat night).
  • Sandytoes71
    Options
    I don't like the taste of salt so I have a drawer full of herbs and spices and mix everything myself.
    I really enjoy doing it. Lovely little piles of freshly ground, colourful herbs and spice are so satisfying. I buy in bulk and store everything in little Ikea spice jars.
    It is a bit expensive establishing the collection, but once you have your most used you just need to top off occasionally.
    Mixing your own has a much fresher flavour too.

Cheers, h.

yes, there are many spices out there, I just have no idea what spices to use on what. I will have to dabble around and look online for stuff.
  • Sandytoes71
    Options
    You could also "up" your potassium foods.
    Beans, banana, dark greens, fish, avocados, low fat milk, broccoli, carrots.
    Drink lots of water to help flush.

what does potassium do to my salt intake? I do eat most of those foods u listed. Does the potassium help flush it out or something?
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
  • angelamichelle_xo
    angelamichelle_xo Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    im eating less and noticing my rings are loose
  • srecupid
    srecupid Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Eating fresh instead of frozen usually allows me to stay within my salt goal but, i'm also extremely lazy when it comes to food. But, your fingers can really swell up that much because of sodium? I had no idea.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    This is a recipe site that I use to give me ideas.

http://thedailydish.us/

Also check out...

http://lowsodiumgourmet.com/
  • Sandytoes71
    Options

Wow! Thank u!!
  • skuhl1
    skuhl1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Another idea is to check out the DASH (dietary approaches to stop hypertension) and the Mediterranean Diet as well for good ideas.