My First 10k! Tips?

Options
My first 10k is Saturday. Does anyone have any helpful advice? What to eat for breakfast, if I should work out before, or eat heavy the night before? Or how do you prepare yourself mentally?

Replies

• mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Unless you're running to place in your 10k, keep everything how you would normally do it.

Eat the same breakfast you always do (most peoples digestive systems don't like changes the day of race day). The night before? Eat what your normally would, although some people find it helps their energy stores to have some more carbs the night before. Stay off the booze, keep hydrated, have a good nights sleep.

On the day? Wear what you normally do (NEVER anything new or not worn in!), and warm up like you normally do. Just enjoy it for the energetic fun that it can be :)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    For a 10K you don't need to carb load but, like any other race nothing new on race day. Lay out your kit the night before (one less thing to think about the day of the race)

Assuming the race is in the morning have a light breakfast (bagel & PB or similar) at least a couple of hours before the race starts. Allow yourself enough time to make a pit stop before the race starts (there's almost always lineups at the porta-potties) and to do a warm up. If there are corrals lineup in the correct one for your estimated finishing time. Watch your pace coming out of the starting line - aim for a negative split & smile for the finish line photo!
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    For a 10K you don't need to carb load but, like any other race nothing new on race day. Lay out your kit the night before (one less thing to think about the day of the race)

Assuming the race is in the morning have a light breakfast (bagel & PB or similar) at least a couple of hours before the race starts. Allow yourself enough time to make a pit stop before the race starts (there's almost always lineups at the porta-potties) and to do a warm up. If there are corrals lineup in the correct one for your estimated finishing time. Watch your pace coming out of the starting line - aim for a negative split & smile for the finish line photo!

omg yes these too. Bring some tissues as well in case the porta-loo's are out of supplies.

• lilgrace15
    lilgrace15 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Great tips! Thanks! I was debating if I should eat a whole bunch the night before and you guys just confirmed that I should go about my normal routine. I'm not trying to place or get a fast time, just doing it to practice long distance running. I have to remember to keep it slow, relax, and have fun. Thanks again!
  • ratherbeskiing
    ratherbeskiing Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    Hydrate... But not over (don't wanna have to pee in the middle) pace yourself (don't burn out)... Good music.... Eat before (small like a banana or pb) and if you have to stop just keep telling yourself one foot in front of the other and it will end soon.... :)
  • brianlundlarsen
    brianlundlarsen Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    lilgrace15 wrote: »
    Great tips! Thanks! I was debating if I should eat a whole bunch the night before and you guys just confirmed that I should go about my normal routine

I totally agree, however if you are normally eating at a deficit to lose weight, I would eat at maintenance a day or two before.

Eating a huge meal the day before is just going to leave you feeling heavy.

• 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    In the day or two leading up to it, I'd skip any running or at most, just a mile or two of easy running.

During the race, if you have a good idea of what pace you think you can maintain, stick to that pace. It's so easy to get caught up with the crowd and come out too fast, only to tire out too soon. Go out easy and slowly build up the speed throughout the race.

For a 10K race you have a greater chance of over hydrating than under hydrating. Running with a full bladder sucks. Get in line for the bathrooms, even if you don't have to go. If they're long, you'll likely need to go by the time you get to the front.

When you get to the finish line, keep moving forward! If you stop at the finish you may clog up the chute.
  • tiny_clanger
    tiny_clanger Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Get to the race start at a decent time - you don't want to have to run to the start of a run ;)
    Don't do or wear anything different, and try not to go off to fast at the start. If you have a GPS, use it to keep to pace. However, don't be surprised if you feel really good as the race goes on and start to speed up, if you think you can, just go with it.

A sprint finish is a wonderful feeling :)

Good luck!!
  • LargeFoot
    LargeFoot Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I always make sure I do a good warm up. Here's an example of what I do: http://triathlon.competitor.com/2014/08/training/your-best-10-minute-run-warmup-2_46795

Relax and have fun during your race. Let us know how it goes for you. Good luck!!!
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    Good Luck! Go kick some butt
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options

Unless you're running to place in your 10k, keep everything how you would normally do it.

Eat the same breakfast you always do (most peoples digestive systems don't like changes the day of race day). The night before? Eat what your normally would, although some people find it helps their energy stores to have some more carbs the night before. Stay off the booze, keep hydrated, have a good nights sleep.

On the day? Wear what you normally do (NEVER anything new or not worn in!), and warm up like you normally do. Just enjoy it for the energetic fun that it can be :)

These.

Never change what you do before a race. Trust me, it has the potential of not going over well with your body. If you normally eat a banana before training runs, do that on race day. For me, I have a hardboiled egg and a serving of oatmeal about 2 hours before then a banana about half an hour before.

Enjoy it! The race day atmosphere is so much fun!
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Make sure you put your shorts on the right way round! I nearly ran my last 10k with mine on back to front. Had to find a tree to hide behind to put them back on correctly.

Have fun.
  • lilgrace15
    Options
    Make sure you put your shorts on the right way round! I nearly ran my last 10k with mine on back to front. Had to find a tree to hide behind to put them back on correctly.

Have fun.

Haha. This is so true. I've done an early morning 5k and ran with my pants inside out.

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    have fun.
    i like to start near the back too so i don't start too fast
  • Gouldy_locks
    Gouldy_locks Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Have a blast and enjoy yourself!!!
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Do what you normally do. I usually run early AM on an empty stomach so on race day I get up early and eat a half bagel. Review and if you can drive the route to get familiar with it, some are poorly marked. Have fun, you will feel great!
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,476 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I have my first 10K on the 7th and really looking forward to it. Though I slightly pulled a thigh muscle and can't do training runs (argh, really frustrating!). About 700 people are expected at my race. I normally find it difficult to stay at my speed when another runner is around, but lets see how things go.

I normally need about 5 minutes of fast walking for a warmup as my lungs go tight if I run immediately, even if it's slow. What would you do in that case? Walk the first 5 minutes of the race or try and find a space for walking around before the race and hope it begins on time?

What do you do with the starting number? I need to pin it to my chest. Which basically means that if things get too warm I cannot open my jacket :/
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Don't do anything new on race day.

Don't do anything new the day before race day.

Don't line up at the front unless you're planning on placing.

Relax, have fun, soak it in.

Oh and don't try whatever energy drink the race is offering unless you have trained with it previously. This is how my best friend found herself puking up blue powerade on the side of the freeway after our first 10k.
  • lilgrace15
    Options
    Thanks for the help you guys! Tomorrow is the day! I have been away from running most of this week and I can't wait to get out there tomorrow. The rest was a good idea. I miss it! I'm gonna eat like I normally do and wear things that I feel comfortable in. Nothing that I'm unsure about. The weather is suppose to be in the 60s. Perfect!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    good luck :)