Push up

Options
So I started insanity 1st fit test 3 weeks ago I couldn't do push up jacks/push ups
Past 3 weeks I've modified my pushups and hoped it would help for today's fit test.
First side of my fit test I improved by 10 on most them, 2nd side not so much.
I still can not do a unmodified pushup/pushup jack.
Any tips?

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I do pushups against the counter. I stand three feet back. I do two sets of whatever every other day. I add one more each time. I started with 8 and am up to 15. At some point I will switch to the floor.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I think it takes longer than 3 weeks to be able to do a push-up unless you're almost there to begin with. Keep working at it. It also depends on the type of modification you're going. Some people say that certain modifications won't help you improve because they work diff muscles. It's very confusing. Even diff trainers tell me diff things. I've been working much longer than 3 weeks to do a straight leg push-up and I'm nowhere close. Keep trying!
  • KCsbest
    KCsbest Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've been doing push ups for years and still do them modified - don't fret :)
  • littlemissmetalfit1
    Options
    I'm doing push ups with my knees to the ground and straight back like I would if doing regular pushups.
    Thanks btw don't feel so laim now.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    build up yoru triceps, that will help. and it takes time
  • cot_ter
    cot_ter Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem with pull ups, and I overcame it by doing this I jumped up to the bar and lowered myself down and tried to pull right back up (which I couldn't do). so I leapt off then jumped up to the top of bar and lowered myself down again and tried to pull up (again I couldn't do) but after a short while I made it back up.
    I would recommend not putting your knees down get in the full press up position lower and try to push up, do 3 sets of ten of this, You will soon be able to do a full push up I guarantee.
  • ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    I started working out about 2 years ago and a push up was my everest. I did 30 day shred then various other dvds for 6 months doing modified ones and started insanity in the October and thought I'd give a full version a try and I could manage about 3! It will come, it takes time though. ( I can now do 24 I'm a row!)
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I do pushups against the counter. I stand three feet back. I do two sets of whatever every other day. I add one more each time. I started with 8 and am up to 15. At some point I will switch to the floor.

If you have stairs, use them! Every few weeks, go down a stair until you are on the ground!
  • littlemissmetalfit1
    Options
    Thanks all ill try your ideas and give it time