Engaged female needing motivation to lose 110 pounds before

Options
Good afternoon!
My name is Jennifer and I am in need of motivation to keep up with my diet so I can be a beautiful, HEALTHY bride next May. :smile:

If any of you have any suggestions on the best and healthiest way to drop the weight, I would greatly appreciate the suggestions. :heart:

Replies

• icerose137
    icerose137 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Life style change is the only way to do it and keep it off. Set your goals, stay accountable to your food diary, stick within your limits, work in excercise and it'll happen. I had about 100 to lose, I'm down to 57 left. Just a quick note though, it might take longer than a year. That's a lot of weight to lose. Don't push the calendar too much or you might give up. You'll be much better off working slower and getting there, then working too fast and too furious and giving up. The change needs to be for life though if you want to keep it off.

Work in strength training, cardio, up your water, eat clean and you will absolutely lose that weight. Good luck and welcome!
  • FaugHorn
    FaugHorn Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    110 lbs in less than a year is a big goal! I know a lot of people on here don't like the Medifast program but my Mom lost about 50lbs on it.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Good for you for getting started now. :)

My advice is to eat healthy, eat ENOUGH, don't restrict your calories too much, and exercise -- but don't overdo it. Set a goal that you can reasonably sustain -- maybe 30 minutes a day, 5 days a week. You don't have to completely cut out your favorite "unhealthy" foods either -- you can still eat them sometimes, in moderation, as long as you can still remain within your calorie goals. Make sure you're getting plenty of protein (helps keep you fuller longer, and gives you good energy), and drink lots of water. You can do it! :)
  • tapwaters
    tapwaters Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Cut out unnecessary sugar processed foods, fatty meats, eat mostly (or all) plant based foods, and exercise for 30-45min a day.
  • snoland81
    snoland81 Posts: 19
    Options
    It's the good old fashion way lady! It's not easy but every day is new so remember that! if you log your food and get your body moving even just for 30 min's a day is better than none. Do something your body isn't used to and the weight WILL come off! Log log log.....it's so important! Loosing weight is 20% about what you do and 80% about what you eat. Make good choices and when you have an off moment, jump right back on the horse! It's all about getting it in front of your face with me....I was working out and "thought" I was eating right, but you don't realize what you are sticking in your mouth until it's in your face, on this site showing it to you. YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!
  • novalee13
    novalee13 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi Jennifer!!!

The BEST and healthiest way to drop the weight is simple. . . Eat healthy and exercise. If you are not ready to commit to cutting out junk completely, try making small life changes. For example. . . Cooking spray instead of butter or oils when cooking. If you are going for a long drive and know you will get hungry, shove an apple in your purse before you leave, Park far away from doors when you go shopping, etc. . . There is no QUICK fix for getting healthy. Just keep your goal in mind and make wise and healthy decisions, and before you know it, you will be a beautiful, slender, HEALTHY bride! :D

Just make sure that you don't lose sight of your goal. . .

GOOD LUCK!!!
  • Tereztaylor07
    Options
    Start small. I started eating healthy first, eating smaller portions, and snacking healthy between meals (still staying under my calorie limit). I don't know about you, but I wasn't very athletic, so my exercise started small. I would do 3 minutes on my stepper, get off and do lunges, arm exercises, squats, then repeat three times. I worked up to five minutes, then ten minutes on the stepper, and then I started doing work out videos. So don't start above your level and get frustrated because you can't. Start with something you KNOW you can do to build confidence!
  • christinathompson1
    christinathompson1 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    get ready to go on a CRAZY ride....
    you really are changing your WHOLE ENTIRE life by losing weight.
    stick to your program that MFP automatically set for you, make sure you aren't eating fried foods, lots of vegetables and watch your sugar, even if its sugar from a fruit try to stay as close to your sugar limit as possible. also, i don't recommend eating back your exercise calories, as long as your getting enough good fats, and protein your body won't go into starvation mode.
    have you ever tried zumba?
    it's a great exercise and it's FUN! if you go to
    zumba.com
    it will show you all the classes that are in your area. :) once you've lost a big amount of weight you should try pilates cause that will help sculpt your body and give you a nice shape.
  • ambie35
    ambie35 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    stick to lean meats ,lots of fruit and veggies 8-12 glasses of water a day. Try to cut out as much processed sugars and bad fats from your diet as you can. Keep lots of variety in your workout routine. Id say its safe to set your goals to 2 lbs a week for now,and around the halfway mark change to 1 lb a week and the 75 % mark .5 a pound a week.
    Congrats on your engagement and good luck!
  • kld79
    kld79 Posts: 1
    Options
    When I wanted to lose weight I went on a low carbohydrate diet and if I stuck to it right i would lose 5 pounds in a week. I did this for a few months just to jump start my weight loss and then I started incorporating more healty foods and exercise into my diet. I started eating whole grains instead of going back to the sourdough breads and things like that. Always drink water. Be mindful of the little things you eat. Even the small bites can add calories. The best thing I discovered about low carb diets are that you can't cheat because if you do it will throw your body off track. Don' tthink of it as going on a diet but a lifestyle change. Adding this that your body needs and eliminating other things.
  • kaveril422
    kaveril422 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Well...You are here, which is definitely a start. I started my journey in February and I have lost 55 lbs. I am trying to lose at least 80 by August so I can start dress shopping for my wedding in November. I don't know what you do for exercise, but the biggest thing is to keep it moving. I have lazy days, but I make sure that if I am not going to work out, I better keep the cals low. I do the biggest loser workouts and 30 day shred. I also got a gym membership. Counting calories and exercising has been my key to success. I don't think of this as a diet, this is a permanent life change. It's the only way I can be successful.

One last thing is, I had to stop thinking about how I am doing this for the wedding, but that I am doing it for myself. I want to be more fit and healthy. Yes part of it is the wedding, but after the wedding, I want to be able to keep this off forever. You can add me as a friend and let me know about how things are going for you if you like:)
  • ande2994
    ande2994 Posts: 136
    Options
    Your soon-to-be husband loves you the way you look right now, so don't focus on a certain size wedding dress. Focus instead on doing whatever it takes to help you lead a long, healthy, active life together!
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    Low carb is the :only" way to go, IMO. Check out Primal, or Paleo, or Atkins
  • JDRBT
    JDRBT Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Hi Jennifer!
    We're pretty similiar! I'm trying to lose some weight (about 30+ lbs) before my wedding ceremony next fall! I'm following the calories set on here. I've kept off about 50lbs so here are my tips:
    EAT AT HOME WHENEVER POSSIBLE. Cooking for yourself, you know what's in your food and aren't surprised by weight gain.
    KEEP A PROTEIN BAR AND A BOTTLE OF WATER (or two) WITH YOU AT ALL TIMES! I call them "emergency rations" and stash them in my car. That way you won't be tempted if you're going grocery shopping or something - you won't go anywhere hungry, so you won't overeat.
    DRINK YOUR WATER! AT LEAST 64 oz/day, but I drink 1/2 my body weight in ozs when I'm really losing weight.No, diet soda doesn't count towards this. And if you're drinking alcohol, drink 2 glasses of water for every drink.
    FOLLOW THE THREE S's WHEN DINING OUT: My three s's are "Soup" "Salad" or "Split". Either I order a soup (CUP not bowl), a salad, or I split something. Splitting is my favorite way to go. :)
    CREATE SOCIAL WORK OUTS! Call up your bridesmaids and say, "Hey, I need some help losing weight. Want to go for a weekly walk and catch up?" Most people are totally down for that (and they are happy to help)! Walking and talking is proven to be a great way to keep emotions in check, find solutions to problems, and connect!
    ORDER TEA: I rarely drink a latte now - or even coffee. It's once a week for me. Opt for unsweetened hot teas. They are comforting and LOTS of delicious varieties out there. (I'm sipping on a Stash Ginger Peach tea right now that I love."
    KEEP GUM AROUND: Sometimes ya just need to chew a bit. I keep a peppermint or cinnamon gum around to curb snacking and keep it healthy.

BUT HERE'S MY BIGGEST TIP (as a fellow bride)!
    Close your eyes and envision the ceremony or reception. Picture yourself, your dress, etc clearly, as you are now. Now take some time and morph that image into what you'd WANT to see on your wedding day. For me, I know the back of my gown is a tied corset style w/ colored ribbon. I know I want that corset to tie in a V shape, rather than the wider shape it will be right now, I picture myself dancing with my groom, and what I want to look and feel like on that day while I work out. (This is great on an elliptical, because you can actually close your eyes and daydream w/o falling over.) Each work out or healthy eating decision is 1 step closer!

Hang in there! Health is possible! If you lose about 2lb/week, you'll be pretty darn close to your goal!
  • kristiedavis1
    Options
    Find a program that works for you that will allow you to make the lifestyle change you need. It's different for everybody. Personally, I do a lot of meal replacement protein products for two meals a day and then eat a "healthy" dinner with fruit in between. I've tried EVERYTHING and figured out this is what works best for me and is the only thing I've stuck to consistently. I can't handle being deprived. Set small goals along with your big one so you can have measure of success along the way. Enter everything you eat!!! You will be amazed at the difference it makes when you see what you are really consuming in a days times. Find support in this site and among friends/family. You will need the encouragement when the scale doesn't seem to be moving or when you really want to eat a whole cake. (LOL) And find a way to become more active that you will stick to. I don't necessarily enjoy excercise, but I have found things to do that I don't mind doing and I have stuck with them. You've certainly taken a good step by setting a goal and looking for ways to reach that goal. Good luck! You can do it.
  • JDRBT
    JDRBT Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    110 lbs in less than a year is a big goal! I know a lot of people on here don't like the Medifast program but my Mom lost about 50lbs on it.
    I did Medifast for a while. You can keep the weight off if you carefully transition and do JUST WHAT THEY TELL YOU TO DO. There is no freedom, no slacking, etc on that program. I was unable to keep a majority of the weight I lost for that program off in the long term.

Just a thought - Is your intended overweight as well? work out together! My guy is my weight and wants to lose too, so we do Just Dance 2 together, go for hiking dates, etc. :) He's great support - afterall, he'll be there forever! Might as well start making healthy habits now!
  • 2BfitMimi
    2BfitMimi Posts: 2
    Options
    Hey, Jennifer!

I don't think there is a way to lose 110 lbs by May BUT how about 70?? Wouldn't that be great?? Just track your food (1200 calories with a lot of protein and fewer carbs) and WATER on myfitnesspal and begin walking. I'm 61 years old and had decided that I couldn't lose wait but I've lost about 15 since late April. I walk a couple of miles every day with hand weights. I started off without weights then went to two 1.2lbs followed by 2lbs followed by 3lbs. I'm now rotating those weights. When I walk further, I carry less. DON'T FORGET TO DRINK AT LEAST 8 CUPS OF WATER. Find a couple of friends to be with you on myfitnesspal. My friends get me through the tough times and the times I'm disappointed in myself. They help me get right back on track...and are watching. (Need at least one "bossy" friend...ha-ha!) You will be a beautiful bride and will be pumped with every ten pounds that you lose. Keep your eye on the prize and may God bless you and your marriage.
  • nskerr
    nskerr Posts: 91
    Options
    May be easier for a guy to accomplish this but I am down 110 in 10 months so I know it can be done. I am 17 from target. The best way I found was 1) see yourself in the clothes you want to be in. 2) Imagine what people will say when you get there. That is motivation enough.

But then comes the day to day activity. I have killed myself exercising and have severly reduced calorie intake. I use this tool as a way of keeping disciplined. 20 miles a day on a bike and 1300 net calories a day which I normally am 300-500 under. I have been skipping dinner except on weekends but eat normal food. Omelettes, sandwiches etc.. You must stay focused and determined. Enter your food immediately into this tool. Do not say I will put it in later because you will forget. And when you see several items with the same description, pick the higher calorie one.

I can't tell you in the last couple of weeks how many people have come to me saying I look fantastic. How much did I lose. How did I do it. etc.. I am not one that looks for attention but it feels nice. I started buying myself some really nice "slim" work clothes. I just left Pink and will be buying some high end dress shirts. Just imagine how you will feel in your dress nice and thin.

I can tell you from personal experience, I was huge on my wedding and honeymoon. I look back and say what the hell was I doing. Keep your head down and realize it isn't a diet, it is a lifestyle change. Best wishes.
  • rogueparagon
    Options
    You have a very high goal. I would make other goals that are easy to achieve, so that you feel like you are "winning" even if your weight loss isn't where you want one week or another.
    Examples:
    No soda for a full month (you will never go back if you do this)
    eat fish, chicken or turkey for dinner 5 times a week.
    Wake up 20 minutes early every day and go for an extra credit walk (unless you already work out in morning-then make it after work)

These goals are small, short time frame "bites" that can lead to success on your overall goals
    ---
    Another thing to utilize...
    Try to make your socializing revolve aroudn healthy activities:

Do you have a friend who plays tennis? Ask them if they would help you learn the basics one evening. A friend that plays basketball? ask them to shoot baskets at a playground together. etc... I promise even fitness fanatics are happy to help you on your journey if you just ask.

Do you normally watch games at a bar with chicken fingers & beer? (I did) Invite friends over to your house and grill up some marinated chicken and bake some hand cut sweet potato fries instead. Now you are controlling the menu
  • Kirsty36
    Kirsty36 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    okay FIRST OF ALL! You can MOST DEFINITELY lose 110 pounds by May if you truly dedicate yourself to it starting immediately! I've seen people do it, I KNOW it is possible. It would change your entire life and I promise that nothing but amazing things would result. Your wedding day is going to be one of the most beautiful days of your life which you will remember forever, you know you want to look like a BABE in those wedding pictures. 110 pounds is a huge task. It can be done. It won't be easy. You truly have to WANT it. I briefly read through everybody elses comments and everyone has lots of good information for you. If there is one thing i will emphasize, its that successful weight loss is most definitely an entire lifestyle change. You are not on a "diet", but you are eating differently now. Healthy foods! Think of the foods that the Earth gave us, fruits and vegetables!! Avoid processed foods and as someone else said, eat at home as much as possible and when you cant, PACK!

Not sure how your money situation is but as your goal is so huge I would say it would be extremely beneficial for you to look into personal training. You can do it by yourself but from experience I can say that having a trainer will make it a heck of a lot easier!! At least in the beginning so you can learn different exercises and get into a routine. If it were me, I would want to look as fabulous as possible on my wedding day, and would probably consider opting for a smaller wedding and putting money towards training. Also, a session with a dietitian might be helpful.

If that isn't possible though, I would highly recommend finding a friend to do this with. Someone to hold you accountable. For 110 lb loss you will NEED to start doing cardio 5-6 days a week. You also need strength training to start building muscle! Muscle burns more calories than fat. Check out this website: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/index.html theres tons and tons and tonssss of awesome info on there!! Definitely make use of MFP ALWAYS!

This isn't for everyone, but google and read up on the prescription drug adipex. If it sounds like something you might be interested in, go have a chat with your doc (there are other similar medications that might also be beneficial). It could definitely jump start your weight loss.

Don't give up, it gets easier and easier. I just KNOW that you can do it.