WOW...THAT CAN'T BE RIGHT!!!

Options
Does anyone have a scale that jumps your weight back and forth like crazy...I was down to 183 last weigh in...I stepped on the day before yesterday and i was at 186.0 who gains 3 lbs in one day? then I weighed in later that night at 180.1...WHAT??? Who drops 6 lbs in just a few hours? And then last night I was up to 189.0...I wanted to cry because I had ate so well...I could not have gained 9 lbs in one day. Then I weighed in at 185.7 this morning. Either my scale is low in batteries, or I need a new one. It used to weigh me the same as my weight watchers meeting used to weigh me in at. Does anyone else ever have this happen to them? :noway:

Replies

• k9fan4life
    k9fan4life Posts: 19
    Options
    Nope, it's probably not right. Maybe use a different scale. If you go to the gym, use there scale, the kind the Dr's office has, if they have one. Don't get caught up in weighing yourself so much. Do it once a week.
  • haeden
    haeden Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    i agree,weigh yourself like once a week.you flucuate quite a bit day to day and mostly if your weighing yourself at diff times of the day.plus,it drives me crazy :)
  • missingkitty
    missingkitty Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    My scale does the same thing! we've had the scale ever since i can remember so at least for me its time to get a new one. I found that my Wii Fit is pretty consistant with my weight . k9fan4life is right though, its best to only weigh yourself once a week or you will end up discouraged. Eating healthy and exercising are what really matters.
  • sue26
    sue26 Posts: 412
    Options
    Thats why you only weigh in once a week. Your weight fluctuates from day to day and from morning to night. Put the scale away for a few days and stop obsessing .:smile:
  • a1asumm1
    a1asumm1 Posts: 1
    Options
    +1...
    Weigh once a week at the same time each week. And get to Walmart... You need a new scale.
  • fsugirl26
    fsugirl26 Posts: 207
    Options
    My weight constantly fluctuates from day to day - it's extremely frustrating!! Don't stress out too much though, it's only water weight!! Women tend to retain more water than men (especially if you're close to your TOM), and our muscles retain a lot of water when we workout. Just keep pushing through, and drink a ton of water, and the scale will start to drop!
  • texasladysv
    texasladysv Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    also if you weigh at the same time each time... like I always weigh in the morning, you can fluctuate some, but that sounds like low batteries~
  • Alita2011
    Alita2011 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    From my experience....Anything can change your weight in a given day bowel, drinking water, dehydration....You should probably look at the overall down trend. Like if you weigh everyday (which I suspect) record it and look at the overall trend. Day to day weights are going to drive you nuts...
  • Just_Bethy
    Just_Bethy Posts: 272
    Options
    I gain 4 even 5 lbs in a day or so...I weigh every morning after bathroom before eating..that way I get a more accurate weight..But weight goes up and down like crazy..so I don't worry now..I just look at the consistent weight loss week after week...
  • NewVonnie
    NewVonnie Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Your weight DOES fluctuate from day to day but thats ridiculous. I think you need a new one or new battery. Change the battery and then replace it if that doesn't work. And relax and take a deep breath..I'm sure you're doing just fine :)
  • kristiedavis1
    Options
    Sounds like you need a new scale and a set time to weigh yourself. I do weigh every day, but at the same time and only once a day. Whether it's once a day or once a week a consistent time is important. (Gravity does a strange thing to our bodies through the day.) I bought a new scale when I started this journey. Spent a little more than ever before on a scale but it has been worth it.
  • Janinaxx
    Janinaxx Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem with my scale. I tried to change the batteries but it didn't helped so i bought a new one. The new one works. There aren't so huge jumps in my weight. :)
  • BethanyMasters
    BethanyMasters Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    On my last weigh in my scale told me that I was 157.8 and I knew that wasn't right so I stepped on it again adn it told me i was 147.8 so I stepped on it again and it told me i was 156.8 etc etc.

I had to reset it quite a few times before I got it to tell me a weight that made sense three times in a row.

I keep a log of my calorie deficit so I have a rough idea of how much I should have lost so when my scale is giving me a wonky number I know I probably need to mess with it a bit to get it to cooperate.
  • MeanWeen80
    Options
    Also, make sure you weigh yourself right after you use the restroom in the morning before you eat or drink or do anything. And yes, once per week. Otherwise it's just crazy to see the way your body fluctuates....
  • tishsmith101
    tishsmith101 Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    I've always used weighing in daily as a way of keeping myself accountable but that's just me. Once a week may be a stretch for you currently since you jump on the scale a lot right now. Start with a new scale or at least new batteries and begin limiting your weigh ins to once a day, then drop to every other day and build up to once a week.

A better judge of your progress is how your clothes fit.
  • ssc0303
    ssc0303 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Start weighing yourself maybe once a week at the same time every time. Your weight fluctuates throughout the day so the scale may show different numbers. I usually weigh myself in the morning after emptying my bladder and before breakfast.
  • Tiffanyluvsaaron
    Options
    I've always used weighing in daily as a way of keeping myself accountable but that's just me. Once a week may be a stretch for you currently since you jump on the scale a lot right now. Start with a new scale or at least new batteries and begin limiting your weigh ins to once a day, then drop to every other day and build up to once a week.

A better judge of your progress is how your clothes fit.

thanks and yeah I like weighing in every day for the same reasons...I think I need to change the batteries
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I weigh in first thing in the morning before eating or drinking anything, after using the bathroom and buck nekkid. This is my baseline. I'll step on the scale here and there throughout the day because it's in the bathroom and I'm a dork but those weights don't count. I can drink a cup of coffee and go back and weigh a couple of extra pounds. Anything you eat or drink throughout the day is now in your body and adding to weight reflected on the scale. You do not gain 6 pounds in one day (not of fat in your fat cells anyway!) It's just the stuff you've eaten and drank throughout the day. If it's going to freak you out, don't step on the scale all day long!
  • HilarieXcore
    HilarieXcore Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Thats why you only weigh in once a week. Your weight fluctuates from day to day and from morning to night. Put the scale away for a few days and stop obsessing .:smile:

This.
    If you try to weight yourself every day, and especially more than once a day, your numbers are going to be all over the place.
    STOP OBSESSING or you're going to end up discouraged and eventually you will just give up.
    I've tried to weigh myself halfway between weekly weigh-ins before and it's NOT worth it.
    The number was always higher than the previous weigh-in and I'd be heartbroken, but when it came time for the next weekly weigh-in, I had lost 2lbs just like the week before.

If you think it's the batteries: Step on the scale, step off, let it reset, and get back on.
    If it's the same weight, it's not the batteries. It's just your weight fluctuation.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Weigh yourself once per week on the same day/ same time. This is what the experts suggest. Otherwise you'll drive yourself NUTS. The reason is your weight changes many times during the day.