HELP!! I EAT IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT

Lately I have been waking up in the middle of the night starving! I don't know how to stop this! I eat nearly all my calories for the day.

This isn't a good habit to get into. I did it for years and hadn't done it in nearly a year. I don't know what triggered it now.

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Maybe your weight loss goal is too aggressive.
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    How much protein are you getting? You might try saving some of your calories and having a protein-heavy snack an hour or so before bed.
    My other trick is a hot cup of herbal tea (sleepy time peach) to help ease food cravings.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,052 Member
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Maybe your weight loss goal is too aggressive.

@ShelbeRaeFrost - how much weight do you have to lose and what is your weekly weight loss goal set to?

I hate waking up hungry and so budget a few hundred calories for a pre-bed snack.
  • Cynsonya
    Cynsonya Posts: 668 Member
    High protein/fiber snack before bed. Just figure it into your "calorie budget."
  • MelissaDrees
    MelissaDrees Posts: 16 Member
    I have about 15 pounds and I am at 1 pound a week. I am filling all of my protein goals and I usually eat more protein at night just for that reason.

I am not sure if it is stress causing this?... I did wake up hungry again last night and I drank some water and forced myself to go back to bed.
  • 867530hniiine
    867530hniiine Posts: 6 Member
    A friend of mine used to do this ALL THE TIME! she would eat chocolate, chips, ice cream, anything she could get her hands on in the middle of the night. We both bought leaner creamer (a healthy alternative to coffee creamer or an additive to tea/smoothies anything really Google it) now she drinks a cup of tea with leaner creamer every night and hasn't done this in weeks.
  • kshama2001
    I have about 15 pounds and I am at 1 pound a week. I am filling all of my protein goals and I usually eat more protein at night just for that reason.

I am not sure if it is stress causing this?... I did wake up hungry again last night and I drank some water and forced myself to go back to bed.

How are you managing stress? Exercise helps me (but not right before bed.)

It could be stress, but you could also try reducing your weekly weight loss goal to 0.5 pound per week and enjoying those extra calories.
  • MelissaDrees
    At this point it is difficult to manage stress. I have 2 hours of commuting a day and 10.5 hours of work for my externship, I also have a barn full of animals to tend to morning and night. I have about 2 weeks of this crazy schedule left and hopefully I can get back into a routine.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,649 Member

Lose at a (slightly) slower rate and get more calories. Set MFP to lose .5 lb/week.

• azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Are you on any sleep medications?

• Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    I can not go to sleep hungry. It is, figuratively, impossible. I always save myself 300 calories before bed just so I don't have to.
  • MelissaDrees
    I am not on any sleep medications at the moment. I will try to set up my weight loss goal to a smaller amount and see what happens. Thank you all for the advice!

• SweetPeasMom55
    SweetPeasMom55 Posts: 3,468 Member
    If it's stress I'm having if I wake up hungry I take an antacid like tums and drink some water and go back to sleep. If I'm truly hungry I eat a small banana.
  • kshama2001
    At this point it is difficult to manage stress. I have 2 hours of commuting a day and 10.5 hours of work for my externship, I also have a barn full of animals to tend to morning and night. I have about 2 weeks of this crazy schedule left and hopefully I can get back into a routine.

Perhaps during these two weeks you should just eat at maintenance.
  • alittlelife14
    alittlelife14 Posts: 339 Member
    I literally put a bike lock on my fridge
  • Trump2016
    Trump2016 Posts: 80 Member
    edited January 2016
    Eat all your calories/meals within 3 or 4 hours and stay fasted for 20-21.

If you eat a large amount in a condensed period of time, you'll be full and your appetite will be curbed.

Works for me. I go to bed with a happy stomach every night. I'm even full in the mornings and it takes late evening time to be hungry again.