American ninja warrior

Options
Watching the show and it is unreal the shape these people are in. I was wondering if someone has done an "at home" version of a workout that would get a person into that type of shape

Replies

• KateBarnhart85
    KateBarnhart85 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Idk but I love that show!!!! Joe (weatherman) and Dustin Mckinney were my favs.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    It seems that most of the to competitors are mountain climbers. Lots of upper body strength and extremely lean. Pull ups, rows and some time bouldering would be a good starting point.
  • ydyms
    ydyms Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Same here. Very inspiring and I love watching when I work out lol
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,476 Member
    Options
    bhandzel31 wrote: »
    Watching the show and it is unreal the shape these people are in. I was wondering if someone has done an "at home" version of a workout that would get a person into that type of shape
    Well the people on the show build makeshift courses in their backyards, so that's technically at home.

maxresdefault.jpg
  • ovidnine
    ovidnine Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    yusaku02 wrote: »
    bhandzel31 wrote: »
    Well the people on the show build makeshift courses in their backyards, so that's technically at home.

maxresdefault.jpg

I'd get that built and then they'd find my broken body lying in the backyard shortly after. lol

Those folks are amazing. And BigGuy47 has it spot on why climbers are doing so well.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options

BigGuy47 wrote: »
    It seems that most of the to competitors are mountain climbers. Lots of upper body strength and extremely lean. Pull ups, rows and some time bouldering would be a good starting point.

The climbers always do well, I think they upper body and added grip strength. I remember one gym I went to had some grip strength training going on.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,711 Member
    Options
    Alidecker wrote: »
    BigGuy47 wrote: »

The climbers always do well, I think they upper body and added grip strength. I remember one gym I went to had some grip strength training going on.

I think that's why gymnasts do well, also. I love that show! Makes me work harder, even though I know I'll never get to that level.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    The show is geared towards climbers. Tons of forearm strength and endurance required. A lot of it comes down to strength to weight ratio. You need to be as strong as possible, but as lean as possible too.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I just did an event at a gym in town and mid way through they had American Ninja qualifying to go to the next round. It was a lot of fun to watch. Definitely a common body type going on. Lean! There were only about three women and they were amazing to watch! I would think obstacle type training facilities are becoming more popular. I follow a few on IG. Even my smaller gym has a warped wall.
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,689 Member
    Options
    Anyone watching the Team Ninja Warrior trials? All-Stars. :love:
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    a lot of them seem to have built at home gyms and there are some gyms that specialize in this sort of training. it's rather impressive
  • SoozeE512
    SoozeE512 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I found a ninja gym in my area last fall and I was thrilled to try it out after years of watching ninja warrior on TV. I hadn't done a lot of upper-body exercises leading up to it, so I was sore in weird places for days after. I went back every couple of weeks to keep working at improving on some obstacles, but my muscular imbalances caught up to me and I got a seriously bad strain that severely impacted my range of motion and has had me in Physical Therapy for months.

So, whatever you can do to strengthen your upper body (arms, shoulders, back, lats, core) is going to help you out with obstacle training.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    you have to be under 160 lbs to win something like this the big guys even professional athletes fail at this course mainly because of their size to strength ratio. Its all about stamina, flexibility, strength of your muscles very intense training. I'm sure lots of injuries we never see or hear about. I wanted to do it for a while and dropped my weight into the 170's at 6'1 just kept hurting myself.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    I go to the same gym as one of the more well-known competitors (Travis Rosen). He was a college gymnast and has a course in his back yard.
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    They had a competition where I live. The course was pretty tough. The entire team from my gym made it through the course. One was a female.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Stage one a lot of people can do its the final two stages where the elite truly shine last year both were under 150 lbs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMvJuLMOcno