weighing in

Options
For those of you who have been training or working on a weight loss goal what have you found to be more effective/helpful: weighing in every day, every other day, once a week etc?

I have been weighing in everyday to keep myself on track but I'm wondering if it is a bad habit to have because it makes me discouraged when I don't lose anything or gain back weight.

thoughts?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I find it helpful to weigh daily, log the weight on a weight trend app (like Libra), and pay attention to the trend -- not the daily weight.

Weighing daily can be a useful tool if you can prevent yourself from focusing on the daily weight. If you are unable or unwilling to do this, I think weighing less frequently would probably be better for your situation.
  • brittwitt121
    brittwitt121 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I was with weight watchers, we weighed ourselfs every week.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Frequency isn't terribly important. But, regardless of frequency, like janejellyroll said above, do NOT focus on day to day or week to week fluctuations.

Focus on long-term trend lines.
  • Cynsonya
    Cynsonya Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    If I were to weigh daily I'd be in a constant state of anxiety. I need to see that number go down to stay motivated. So I weigh at 10am every Monday. After I've ate a banana, went to the br and in the buff. Lol. Gotta keep all variables the same.
  • determined24girl
    determined24girl Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I weigh everyday. It took me awhile to get over the slight "gains" disappointment, but then I started paying more attention to the downward trend I was on and my fluctuations through out the week no longer bother me.
  • megpie2133
    megpie2133 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm just starting out. I started January 1st, but I plan on doing monthly weigh ins. I have found in the past that daily and even weekly weigh ins discourage me. I always have bloat weight in the middle of the month and that weigh in will cause me to not care and eat whatever aunt flow decides to me crave. I have found this month to be way easier craving wise knowing I need to stay on track. My starting weight was 291. I'm not sure how much I have lost but my pants are fitting a lot better, I was even able to put on a pair of my pre pregnancy jeans. I just had a baby in September.
  • TJH2
    TJH2 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I find it helpful to weigh daily, log the weight on a weight trend app (like Libra), and pay attention to the trend -- not the daily weight.

Weighing daily can be a useful tool if you can prevent yourself from focusing on the daily weight. If you are unable or unwilling to do this, I think weighing less frequently would probably be better for your situation.

I have started to track it on MFP recently and I think I will keep on with the daily entries but I will definitely take your advice and not concern myself with the day to day losses/gains but will look at the overall trend. Thank you.

Thank you all for the input!
  • kettiecat
    kettiecat Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I weigh every time I walk by the scale. It fluctuates +- 5 lbs depending on, well life :) I record my morning wake up weight as my official weight. I find it amusing to see how much less I weigh after peeing or how much more with wet hair or pants on.
  • dotti1121
    dotti1121 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    I used to weigh every single day, and looking back, that may have been one of my downfalls. This time around, I'm only weighing every couple of days, especially in the beginning. Later on when I'm not losing so fast, I'll probably weigh even less. If I see discouragement on the scale, I'm afraid it will derail me...
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day, but only first thing in the morning. I know I get heavier as I eat & drink. I really just care about that first fasted number. And I use fitbits weekly average as my official weight. I collect seven days data, delete the highest number & an average of the remaining six days creates my weight for the week. This really reflects the trend, not the random sodium etc spikes...
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Those are two, or three questions.

While I was losing weight, I weighed once a week. I'm now in maintenance, and I weigh daily, it's reassuring for me, then I know I won't suddenly or sneakily gain lots of weight; short term fluctuations are water/poop, it's the trend I have to watch. Not weighing myself after I lost weight last time, was a big mistake. I didn't want to step on the scale because I was scared I'd gained weight, and indeed I had.

What works for you, or other people, can be different, and for different reasons. But weighing more often than weekly is not a "bad habit" and does not lead to obsession. It depends on how well you understand/accept - and in what way you react to - fluctuations, I think. Only you can decide what's best for you.
  • angie1227a
    angie1227a Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I started on Fitness pal a month ago and I didn't weigh myself before I started and I am haven't weighed myself since either. I know I am losing weight. Clothes are lose on me now and have more energy. I think I may weigh myself once a month so I can mentally see a bigger drop in a number. That is how I am doing it.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    you have to find what works best for you.

i weigh every day but only log once a week (on thursday or friday)