food scales,and weight scales prices/accuracy

Options
I might be going to Walgreens or target to shop for a food scale,a normal weighing scale, and a tape measure or all three. Anybody know which brands are cheapest yet are very reliable and accurate to use?

Replies

• lkokot
    lkokot Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I got my food scale at Walmart for like $10 and so far it worked great. For the regular scale I would recommend the WiFi Withings scale; it connects to MFP App and updates your progress as well as checks your Weight and Body Fat %.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I have a funny rule: Never buy the absolute cheapest. But the second to the absolute cheapest.
    Target will have better prices, most of the time. Walmart also has food scales. So does bbbeyond.
  • spamanda53
    spamanda53 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I bought my food scale at Bed Bath and Beyond -- With one of the zillion coupons they send it ended up being cheaper than at Walmart or Target or Amazon.
  • jenniferpiotrowski0
    Options
    Thanks..what weight scales are more accurate the analog ones or digital?
  • Azercord
    Azercord Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I would suggest going digital on both food and weight scale, make sure they tare (zero out) before you weigh yourself/food that way they are the most accurate. Oh and grab a food scale that can change between ounces, grams, and pounds, they cost a bit more but it will be able to do everything you need it to.
  • elaineamj
    elaineamj Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I would suggest looking for a scale with mL too. I was so happy to get my little scale after doing a ton of research - but had completely not realized it only has oz, g, and lb. I missed that part :( Some stuff in MFP have mL measurements instead of g. It's fine and I can easily make do - but just slightly inconvenient. Also, in my research, I read some scales have the "switch unit" button on the bottom - that would be a pain.
  • jeepinshawn
    jeepinshawn Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in the body weight scaleI as well. My understanding is that the body fat percentage feature is wildly inaccurate.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    I bought this digital weight scale and digital food scale from Walmart for about $30-35 total. They're accurate and work well. :)
  • vegmebuff
    vegmebuff Posts: 31,389 Member
    Options

I just bought a tiny little one - brand name is 'taylor'. I like it because it shows increments of up to the gram/ounce. My old one rounded up to the next gram/ounce so I wasn't really sure how close I was to the correct measure I wanted. So now I know if it's 3 grams of nuts or 3.9 LOL

I suggest trying to find one that does not just round up.
  • k2mexox
    k2mexox Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I had to return weight scales a couple times until I finally found one that worked and is consistent!! Don't buy the cheapest but you obviously don't have to spend a million dollars either. When you choose one test it out a few times to make sure it's consistent by stepping on and off a few times for the first few days. If there are huge fluctuations chances are it's not accurate.
  • neohdiver
    neohdiver Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    elaineamj wrote: »
    I would suggest looking for a scale with mL too. I was so happy to get my little scale after doing a ton of research - but had completely not realized it only has oz, g, and lb. I missed that part :( Some stuff in MFP have mL measurements instead of g. It's fine and I can easily make do - but just slightly inconvenient. Also, in my research, I read some scales have the "switch unit" button on the bottom - that would be a pain.

mL is a volume, not a weight. 1 mL of water weighs 1 gram. 1 mL of flour weighs .4219 grams. 1 mL of mercury weighs 13.53 grams.

I would not buy any scale which purported to weigh in mL, since the weight of a mL of something depends on its density.

I have two scales - one for home, and one for travel/work. The work one is: AWS SC-2KGA Digital Pocket Scale 2000 Gram x 0.1 Gram AC Adapter American Weigh Scales, the home one is Jennings CJ4000 4000g x 0.5g Digital Scale. Both are fine. I like both.
  • sky_northern
    sky_northern Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    elaineamj wrote: »
    I would suggest looking for a scale with mL too.
    ml is a unit of volume, how does a scale weigh volume?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    vegmebuff wrote: »

I just bought a tiny little one - brand name is 'taylor'. I like it because it shows increments of up to the gram/ounce. My old one rounded up to the next gram/ounce so I wasn't really sure how close I was to the correct measure I wanted. So now I know if it's 3 grams of nuts or 3.9 LOL

I suggest trying to find one that does not just round up.

Taylor is what I've been buying and they last about a year for me.

And yeah, I'll never understand why some scales have a ML option...