General Question

Options
How do you counter damage done?

Yesterday, I ate until I was sick!
I have found I do well if I get on the scale everyday. Whether the number is up or down. I adjust. Yesterday, I did not weigh myself and it was an all out binge. I couldn't sleep because I was so full and uncomfortable. Well, with that being said, I'm not sure if this was a confession or if I'm repenting?!

Just want to know how you all handle that kind of set back

Replies

• bionicrooster
    bionicrooster Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    it happens to all of us :-) I find that after a bad day just focusing on being good and drinking alot of water will get you right back on track in no time! The important thing is to not let it get you down! One day is just that, one day.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    For the days/choices you regret: try to put it in perspective. If your normal plan is to eat at a 500/day deficit and you eat an extra 500 calories today then you're just eating at maintenance for the day. If you eat an extra 1000, its like eating at maintenance today and wiping out yesterday's deficit.

In other words, what you do in one day is not going to change the world. Its the series of habits you form over time that will get you to your goal.

Though it can certainly help to identify how & why you make the choices you do, so you can plan better. Personally I know there are certain foods that I have a hard time limiting. So I don't put myself in a situation to have them everyday.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Move on and do better the next day.

Anyone expecting to do "perfectly" every day is only setting him/herself up for failure.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    Move on. Figure out why you did what you did, and work to improve.
  • muccica07
    muccica07 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Chug water and get back on track immediately. As long as you are on plan the majority of the time, one little slip up every once and again shouldnt hurt you too much
  • Merrysix
    Merrysix Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Back on track -- for me keep exercising no matter what (improves my mood so less desire to eat). If I don't feel great I say to myself, "I'll just exercise lightly, without much effort" -- usually does the trick and any movement is good and helps me to desire eating to my food plan/calories/macros.
  • pansamanchada
    pansamanchada Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I try to make a habit or writing a little bit in the food notes.
    I write two sections: 1) What I did good today and 2) what I can do better
    So one entry looks like this
    What I did good today: woke up early so that gave me time to prepare/take lunch to work. I ate a high fiber breakfast. Lunch was from home so I controlled calories and saved money. Dinner was ok.
    I can do better moving forward, I gotta have a waterbottle on my desk as I didn't hit my water intake goal again. I need to buy one. I didn't pre-log dinner which lead me to overeating by about 100 calories that I didn't need at all, I should've pre-logged to do better portion control.
    If you ate until you were sick record what chain of events lead you to eating like that. If you are not actually repenting you could at least set the goal of logging everything that way at least you can try to figure out how to fit a 4,000 calorie day in your fitness journey.
    Let me know if you think this could help.
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Forgive yourself and move on. It's a new day!
  • spamanda53
    spamanda53 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    "Make it right with the next bite."

Basically like everyone else is saying - just pick yourself up, dust your self off and move forward again. Don't let something behind you trip you up going forward.

:)
  • Roderunr_returns
    Roderunr_returns Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Been there, done that...just shake it off as a bad day and leave it in the past! You got this! It's a brand new day! :smiley:
  • oolou
    oolou Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Moving forward to a new start the next day is sound advice. I find I will try to do a bit more cardio than usual in the days following to try and mitigate some of the additional calories - but the trick is to not do so much that you end up needing to compensate for the extra exercise with even more food.

Also expect to see the scale go up. Don't despair. It will mostly be water retention.

If you have the stomach for it, try and log that extra food, then look at the total calories for that day in the context of the whole week. Sometimes we vastly overestimate what we thought was a sickening binge.

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Move on and do better the next day.

Anyone expecting to do "perfectly" every day is only setting him/herself up for failure.

This ^^ Just leave the past where it belongs and look to the future.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    you cant.

do better the next day.
  • toe1226
    toe1226 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    It is important to be gentle wtih yourself- but it is also important to evaluate why specifically you ate to the point of illness- had you been undereating or depriving yourself of certain foods prior to that day? Had you been over exercising? Do you have an unresolved quarrel or trauma that is preventing you from having a positive relationship with yourself?

One bad day doesn't make you any less lovely of a human being, but often times the ability to eat to the point of making oneself sick is indicative of some underlying self work that needs to be done. Do the work and the weight drops away with the problems
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    You need Dr. Phil. ;)