Fibre!!!

Options
I recently purchased some protein bars off the site "myprotein" and when they arrived I seen on the label that each bar had 21g of protein but 24g of fibre! This shocked me! Is this too much or am I panicking for no reason? Normally when I look at my diary on mfp I normally consumed 24g on a average day so this will result in almost double! Is this safe?? All I have read is the ghastly effects of too much fibre and now I am worried! Thanks

Replies

• JackieMarie1989jgw
    JackieMarie1989jgw Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    It wont hurt your overall health really, because you dont digest fiber you just poop it out. Buuuttt it cpuld make you pretty uncomfortable. I find that fiber in fiber bars (often chicory root) makes me gassy. And that much fiber might give you diarrhea. That seems really super high
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Some fiber is not absorbed during digestion, some is. Whether this much fiber is a problem for you is something you'll just have to figure out by trial and error. Some added fibers can cause gas and bloating and similar "issues" in some people. Others can consume it with no problems. You might want to try it for the first time on a day when you will be staying home. ;)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    It's not "unsafe". See how your body reacts to that much fiber, and that particular type (chicory etc.). It's never been a problem for me. The only fiber source that causes me issues are common grains. They give me tummy aches.
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Are you sure you're reading the nutrition per bar and not per 100g?
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I looked at the website and did not find any products with that much fiber.
    Specify exactly what you have or open your diary.
    Consider buying from a store like walmart or target to save yourself some serious money
  • naomiiixo
    naomiiixo Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    5wyn3sn3lwtb.jpg
    di7jqg1xxusy.jpg
    As you can see the bar is 65g and in the nutritional information it says 24g of fibre! I got a box on sale on the myprotein website so it was fairly cheap anyway compared to buying individual bars!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Geez, 65g bar and 46g are fiber and protein! Looks like they just took fiber supplement and protein powder and mushed it together with a binder. I hope it tastes better than it looks and sounds.
  • naomiiixo
    Options
    Not really! I was hoping it was a typo but no one else has mentioned fibre content in any other reviews.. I have looked at reviews an most people say heat it up in a microwave?? Slightly inconvenient when I was eating them on the go...
  • Nuke_64
    Nuke_64 Posts: 406 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I had a medical "condition" (we'll leave it at that) any a doctor got me to focus on meeting my daily fiber requirements. According to this site, you need 37 g if you're a male, 25 g for females. This bar would seem to be better for men.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/guide/fiber-how-much-do-you-need

Most of us do not get enough fiber and it has a lot of benefits beyond GI heath, like cholesterol reduction. Two things to consider if you dramatically increase your fiber in your diet. 1) You will be more gassy at first, but that goes away. 2) You need to drink a lot more water or your stools will be too hard.
  • bionicrooster
    bionicrooster Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I eat Quest bars (the Smore's is ridiculously good) and they are 60g but only have 13g of fiber.
  • naomiiixo
    Options
    I wanted quest bars but I couldn't find a good deal where I could buy them in bulk! Every website I tried they were all expensive! But maybe a higher cost worth it rather than the higher fibre bars ..
  • Siobhan256
    Siobhan256 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    It's not necessary for you to eat a whole days worth of fibre in one bar! I aim for 25g per day. A little of that fibre in each meal is great because it makes you feel full for longer. I eat Quest bars and usually have half a bar at a time (say with a coffee) for morning tea or afternoon tea.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    There is no problem getting that much fiber. If you are not used to it, you should work your way up. Try eating 1/2 bar one day and see if you have any adverse gastric effects. Usually your body can get used to that amount of fiber within a few days.

Is there any way to know how much of that fiber is soluble and how much is insoluble? Soluble fiber can give you excess gas and possibly diarrhea. Insoluble fiber bulks up the stool but does not cause gas in most people. You need both for gastric health.

ETA: I usually get around 40 g of fiber per day. My dad died of colon cancer so I really make an effort.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    You know, if you are going to overdose on anything, fiber has got to be the safest. Too much water, hyponatremia (but you will be throwing up if you try and drink that much water). Too much iron, not good. But fiber by definition, just "goes through" you.

I found the high protein shake "Premier Protein" (30g protein) bungs me up every time. But I bet a little extra fiber would take care of that.