Could use a little help

Options
I just started with MFP and so far I've stuck to my daily calorie goals. I just got diagnosed with osteoarthritis in my knees and it's got me really down. I'm only 25 but I have constant knee pain and it's depressing and makes me want to snuggle down on the couch, eat comfort food (i.e. a million calories), drink about 4 stiff drinks, and give up on losing weight.

What do you do to perk yourself up or keep yourself going? Any inspiration or motivation appreciated :)

Replies

• BrittanyNicole934
    BrittanyNicole934 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me as a friend! Sounds like we could both support each other!
  • bubbajoe1066
    bubbajoe1066 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Hi...I hear you..I have bad knees as well and some days it is a real struggle to get out and move around, especialy in the cold. But i do it anyways. some days are better than others, some days are really good and some days are just terrible. I keep telling myself that every pound i lose,it is one less my poor old knees have to carry around. i'm down 17 lbs so far. 83 to go...yeah i have a lot to lose. this is coming from a 55 year old fart ,and if i can do it... so can you..Everyday get up and move..each day increase it..you don't have to run a marathon ,just move...you do what you can and push yourself a little more each day.. OH.before i forget drink plenty of water...at least 64 oz a day.believe it or not it really helps. once i started i was surprised how much better my knees felt. DON"T GIVE UP...DON"T GIVE IN.
  • quzzdragon
    quzzdragon Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Drinking enough water is definitely one of my struggles, but I'm working at it. Just started Physical therapy yesterday, so I'm hopeful it'll start helping soon. We're supposed to help friends move this weekend and I'm determined to help, but avoid stairs as much as possible.

I'm worried about the post-move pizza and beer and the morning bagels they're planning and their effect on my calorie count :p
  • hamelle2
    hamelle2 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    OK...I'm 58 and have had 2 hip replacements and 1 knee replacement in the past year. If I can do this, you certainly can! There are exercises online to strengthen the muscles around the knees which will dramatically help the pain. I'm sure you will learn some in PT. Every pound you lose your joints will thank you!
    You can do it!
  • rsisca
    rsisca Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    There are plenty of little to no impact exercise programs you could start doing. What types of exercise are you doing now?
  • quzzdragon
    quzzdragon Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    rsisca wrote: »
    There are plenty of little to no impact exercise programs you could start doing. What types of exercise are you doing now?

Right now I'm doing what my Physical Therapist assigns me plus walking as much as I can. I've started to wear my sneakers while I'm cooking and pacing while I'm on the phone or brushing my teeth. My orthopedist also gave me knee braces that I wear for as long as I can (they get uncomfortable about 2/3rds of the way through the day - I'm working on increasing that time though).
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Did the physical therapist say that it was necessary to walk?
    Other exercises are better for now: pool, upper body weight lifting, mat and chair exercises, "body weight" exercises, "chair boxing." :) --> check YouTube and check with the PT.