Vegans

Options
I've been a vegan for around 9 years now and I still don't eat that great!

I'm looking for some fellow vegans to follow so I can share recipes with as I am just not getting enough nutrients in my diet.

So many people make fun of me if they find out in a vegan and presume I live off "rabbit food".... Oh how wrong they are! They have no idea of the level of vegan junk food that is available!

Does anybody else suffer from a poor vegan based diet?

Replies

• CarmenLillyMonroe
    Options
    I've been vegan for 9 years..it's not new to me. I just need advice on better nutrition.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say my diet was "poor" before I lost weight, I just ate too much of everything that I was eating.

I would base my meals around rice, potatoes, and pasta and it made it easy to eat way too much. I flipped it so that rice, potatoes, and pasta became more like accents to my meals and I focused on eating lots of vegetables. I also focused more on more concentrated protein sources like tofu, tempeh, and seitan (also lots of beans) because I found that this made it easier to eat lower calorie. I began measuring my alcohol as well -- before I began counting calories I was just pouring wine and I didn't always understand how many calories it was contributing to my diet.
  • CarmenLillyMonroe
    Options
    Thank guys. Yeah it's protein that is my biggest downfall. I just do not get enough of it in my diet. I think I also need to focus more on feeding my body the right stuff instead of just worrying about loosing weight.

Does anybody meal prep for the week?
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    Options
    I also have been Vegan for a decade or so. I was in your shoes once with "unhealthy" vegan foods. Later, as I educated myself more on what I needed to eat in order to provide my body with the nutrition I needed, my diet changed along with it. Ultimately it depends on your goals, which if they are health and nutrient related, your first step should be a trip to the doctor for a full blood/hormone workup in order to determine if you have any deficiencies. Once that is accomplished any needs can be addressed by your doctor.

Outside of that, a variety of foods in a variety of colors will be helpful, but accurately tracking for micro and macro nutrients will be equally as effective.

Do you have a goal outside of eating healthier, such as losing fat, gaining fitness, or anything like that?
  • DaddieCat
    Options
    Again with the nonsense. If frying with oil is forbidden, how can people follow a low carb/hi fat vegan diet? Note, I'm not advocating this diet as it's notoriously low in protein as well, but evidence contradicts you at every turn. Many of us, Vegans included, continue to eat oil and fat with no ill effects.

And you keep sourcing Doctors who are continually debunked, and shown to have results that are not able to be reproduced under controlled laboratory conditions.
  • DaddieCat
    Options
    Show me an actual study that is not a novel written by one of these doctors. Unfortunately, the way science works states that burden of proof is on the person making wild claims. So far, in any thread that you have posted in, you have not made any claim that was supported by actual evidence outside of one of your lists of faniciful "Doctors" whose "studies" seem only to be avaialable in their novels or some other means that directly profits them, and none of them have been peer reviewed and not a single "study" that you linked me yesterday under a different topic was held reproducible.

I get that you want to spread the vegan "gospel" but your suggestions are nonsensical in almost all ways, which you are being told across several different boards currently, and often downright dangerous, such as telling a vegan to eliminate fats in their diet. The human body requires a minimal intake of fats as well as protein.

Additionally, LCHF Vegan diets are not "paleo" or ketogenic by definition. Additionally, claiming ketogenic diets cause illness is not supported by science as the diet was invented by scientists to treat brain function disorders.

When you have some peer reviewed scientific evidence, or a degree in nutrition, bio-chemistry, anatomy and physiology, etc, come back and talk to us then.
  • rawroy
    rawroy Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I'd really like to see what you look like BecomingBane and your meal plan since you are vegan and promote high protein and high fat. I am not a big bodybuipder but I think I'm fit and following Jon Venus on youtube and he follows a low fat vegan lifestyle.

Also, I agree with @PlantBasedKnight. Who is deb
  • rawroy
    rawroy Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Pressed post by mistake...anyway..
    Who is debunking this research so I can dive deeper.
  • DaddieCat
    edited January 2016
    Options
    rawroy wrote: »
    Pressed post by mistake...anyway..
    Who is debunking this research so I can dive deeper.

Look, no one is saying that you can't follow a low fat diet, but Plantbasedknight is on many boards telling people to remove fat from their diet entirely as well as oils and this is just nonsense. There are many and varied diets, and many of them are effective, but espousing one particular diet as if it is the be all end all diet is unrealistic on a grand scale.

But ok, let's take a look at the one study/ scientist they have thrown at me most often, T. Colin Campbell and his China Study.

Here is an editorial with clearly sourced information:
    http://www.cholesterol-and-health.com/China-Study.html

and another: https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/the-china-study-revisited/

and another with clearly cited sources:
    http://www.westonaprice.org/health-topics/abcs-of-nutrition/the-china-study-myth/

There is enough actual science there to keep you reading for a long time if you're of a mind.

ETA:
    Here are some additional insights:

http://rawfoodsos.com/2010/07/07/the-china-study-fact-or-fallac/
    http://rawfoodsos.com/2010/08/06/final-china-study-response-html/
    http://rawfoodsos.com/2011/09/22/forks-over-knives-is-the-science-legit-a-review-and-critique/
    http://rawfoodsos.com/2011/07/31/one-year-later-the-china-study-revisited-and-re-bashed/
    http://rawfoodsos.com/2010/09/02/the-china-study-wheat-and-heart-disease-oh-my/
    http://rawfoodsos.com/2010/07/16/the-china-study-my-response-to-campbell/
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    Thank guys. Yeah it's protein that is my biggest downfall. I just do not get enough of it in my diet. I think I also need to focus more on feeding my body the right stuff instead of just worrying about loosing weight.

I don't officially meal prep, but I will make batches of higher protein foods to make them easy to grab.

I will press and marinate tofu to make a big batch of baked tofu. This can be used for sandwiches, eaten for dinner, or I can just grab it and snack on it. I will make seitan in big batches so I will have it for the week (and freeze any that I might not be using right away). I will marinate tempeh so I just have to cook it when I get home from work (or I will make a batch of tempeh "sausage" crumbles" that can be mixed with beans and pasta or whatever for meals. I will do a batch of slow-cooker beans and freeze what I won't use within a few days.

I personally find vegetables and carbohydrate-rich foods to be easier to prepare, it's the higher protein stuff that I plan for.

I find that when I focus on protein, I feel fuller and more energetic. I don't even eat a lot of it (@BecomingBane is our resident vegan protein master!), but I am a firm believer that it's something that we need.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    Again with the nonsense. If frying with oil is forbidden, how can people follow a low carb/hi fat vegan diet? Note, I'm not advocating this diet as it's notoriously low in protein as well, but evidence contradicts you at every turn. Many of us, Vegans included, continue to eat oil and fat with no ill effects.

they can its called the paleo or ketogenic diet. it causes diabetes and it is not healthy. it shortens life. the fat you eat is the fat you wear. If you work out like crazy in the gym maybe that's why you are eating all the at fat and not getting very fat. for a normal person consuming fats in the form of free oils and fried foods is a disaster. such foods are inflammation and cancer promoting.
    And you keep sourcing Doctors who are continually debunked, and shown to have results that are not able to be reproduced under controlled laboratory conditions.

Prove that! where are they debunked. cite one study show me the proof. don't just throw broscience

I don't work out like crazy. Fats are about 25-30% of my diet and that includes oils and fried foods. I'm not wearing that fat. My blood test results are great. Please stop with the pseudoscience and fear-mongering. If someone feels great on a low fat plant-based diet, awesome for them. But it's not the "one true path."
  • DaddieCat
    Options

they can its called the paleo or ketogenic diet. it causes diabetes and it is not healthy. it shortens life. the fat you eat is the fat you wear. If you work out like crazy in the gym maybe that's why you are eating all the at fat and not getting very fat. for a normal person consuming fats in the form of free oils and fried foods is a disaster. such foods are inflammation and cancer promoting.

Prove that! where are they debunked. cite one study show me the proof. don't just throw broscience

I don't work out like crazy. Fats are about 25-30% of my diet and that includes oils and fried foods. I'm not wearing that fat. My blood test results are great. Please stop with the pseudoscience and fear-mongering. If someone feels great on a low fat plant-based diet, awesome for them. But it's not the "one true path."

Oh sweet, glory... a voice of reason, lol.
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options

I don't officially meal prep, but I will make batches of higher protein foods to make them easy to grab.

I will press and marinate tofu to make a big batch of baked tofu. This can be used for sandwiches, eaten for dinner, or I can just grab it and snack on it. I will make seitan in big batches so I will have it for the week (and freeze any that I might not be using right away). I will marinate tempeh so I just have to cook it when I get home from work (or I will make a batch of tempeh "sausage" crumbles" that can be mixed with beans and pasta or whatever for meals. I will do a batch of slow-cooker beans and freeze what I won't use within a few days.

I personally find vegetables and carbohydrate-rich foods to be easier to prepare, it's the higher protein stuff that I plan for.

I find that when I focus on protein, I feel fuller and more energetic. I don't even eat a lot of it (@BecomingBane is our resident vegan protein master!), but I am a firm believer that it's something that we need.

I'm not vegan, but I am curious about the pasta thing-is there vegan pasta? Doesn't regular pasta like barilla have egg in it?
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options

I like you @BecomingBane

I'm not vegan, but I'm a cookbook enthusiast and have been cooking through several vegan cookbooks lately, so I guess I'd say I'm eating a lot of plant based food. I do wear leather and stuff so I'll never be vegan. I've noticed there seems to be (like every other "group") normal people vegans and crazy, fanatic, evangelical vegans.

OP, for healthy meal ideas maybe try the Thug Kitchen cookbook (my personal fave so far) and blog http://www.thugkitchen.com/recipes, the Oh She Glows cookbook and food blog http://ohsheglows.com/categories/recipes-2/ Even allrecipes.com has a full vegan section now. http://allrecipes.com/recipes/1227/everyday-cooking/vegan/

I like vegan cookbooks because I can just add meat if I really want to, but I don't feel obligated to do so.
  • vaguelyvegan
    vaguelyvegan Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I've been vegan for about two years and still find it challenging to get enough protein. A couple of things have made it easier: Sun Warrior protein powder (vanilla), from which I make a morning smoothie. I use a scoop of that, one frozen banana, a heaping tablespoon of raw cacao and one of powdered peanut butter, plus almond milk and ice. That's 25 grams of protein, so it's a good start.

I also like the vegan Field Roast burgers, which are delicious and high in protein and fat. A whole wheat bun adds a few more grams.

Other than that, for me it's the usual suspects: beans, chickpeas, nuts and nut butters (an apple with peanut butter is one of my favorite snacks), tofu, etc. If you're looking for some easy, healthy vegan recipes, check out blogs like Oh She Glows, Deliciously Ella, Post Punk Kitchen and Jamie Oliver.
  • vaguelyvegan
    vaguelyvegan Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    htimpaired wrote: »

I'm not vegan, but I am curious about the pasta thing-is there vegan pasta? Doesn't regular pasta like barilla have egg in it?

Nope.