Weekly calories

Options
I'm wondering if I will still lose weight over all if say: I watch my calories and have cut down on drinking alcohol so I only drink on weekends. Will I still lose eight over all. Or will like say lose a pound those 4-5 days then gain it back when I cheat on weekends sometimes? I'm hoping and guessing that cutting back will help over all anyhow in the long run right?

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    In the end it all works down to the numbers.

If you typically lose weight on 1500 calories per day...you could do 1300 calories per day M-F, and then 2000 a day on the weekends (including your drinks, etc)...that still averages out to the same average per day.

If your weekend splurges are 3000 calories per day (for example), then you'll undo all your work during the week.
  • nicholerein
    nicholerein Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Ok that's what I was concerned about, but if you consider I used to drink 5-6.... Sometimes 7 days a week in the past. Wouldn't cutting that out for the week still help lose some weight in the long run? Just might take
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Maybe...depends on what your other intake is like. If you're still over-eating calories, even by cutting them out, you won't lose. If by cutting them out now you're eating at a calorie deficit, you'll lose.
  • nicholerein
    nicholerein Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Sorry I lost connection. Here is the rest of my reply: It just may take longer maybe?... And I've started exercising again too so hope to keep making progress at living better!
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    Options
    This is essentially what I do - I reduce my intake Monday through Thursday by about 400 additional calories per day so that I can drink and have more of a calorie splurge on weekends. But this still means that I need to be mindful of my weekly average - I can't eat so much on Fridays through Sundays that I negate the additional deficit that I created on weekdays. However, if you maintain an overall average weekly deficit, you will still lose. You just might not want to weigh yourself the day or two after your higher calorie days because you may retain water from increased sodium, etc.