Southern BBQ out tonight. HELP!

Options
Yikes. Heading out with friends to a family owned Southern BBQ place. WHAT can I eat that's not high in calories? #Worried

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    ummm just eat what you want, log it in, and if you go over the no big deal. OR, you can eat a little less for breakfast and lunch today …or you could get pulled/shredded chicken with BBQ sauce on the side…

I would not fret over one night of eating out ….
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    My grandma used to save bacon fat to make the bb beans. I certainly hope that restaurants do not do that. I wonder if they do.
    1 cup of bacon fat and 1 cup of brown sugar.
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Skip the sauce or get it on the side if you can. Chicken (if you skip the skin) is leaner than trimmed brisket, which is leaner than pork shoulder. Approach things with mayonnaise with moderation. Good luck, and I hope you have a great time!
  • TracyYates
    TracyYates Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    ummm just eat what you want, log it in, and if you go over the no big deal. OR, you can eat a little less for breakfast and lunch today …or you could get pulled/shredded chicken with BBQ sauce on the side…

THANK YOU @ndj1979 - but I have weight to lose! Ha!

YIKES @JanetYellen ! I'll have to make a call to the place and be sure that they DON'T do that. Thanks for sharing!
    Skip the sauce or get it on the side if you can. Chicken (if you skip the skin) is leaner than trimmed brisket, which is leaner than pork shoulder. Approach things with mayonnaise with moderation. Good luck, and I hope you have a great time!

Sauce on the side @sheermomentum - Always wise! I'm thinking pork tonight. I wonder how bad Brunswick Stew is??

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Yes, you have weight to lose but you are not going to lose your weight in one evening and you certainly did not get fat in one evening.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it's anything like the "southern" BBQ that we can get up in the Northeast, but usually there are a lot of smoked meat choices - I stick with smoked chicken or fish and avoid fattier cuts like ribs. Use sauce sparingly, and pick a few sides. Even something like collards cooked with a ham hock or bacon fat isn't going to kill you! Green beans, or even a cup of beans. All good.

Just watch your serving sizes and log as best you can. Have fun!
  • elaineamj
    elaineamj Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Last Saturday, I had a much bigger dinner than I normally do. I had a very low cal breakfast (plain chickpeas) and a low cal lunch (2 plain hard boiled eggs). Then I worked out - burned over 400 cals. To top it off, I ate less in the week prior to bank some calories. I ate 1000 calories for dinner and was actually under my goal for the day!

I feel much more confident about approaching social situations now.
  • TracyYates
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Yes, you have weight to lose but you are not going to lose your weight in one evening and you certainly did not get fat in one evening.

YOU'RE RIGHT @queenliz99 - THANKS FOR REMINDING ME OF THAT!
    I don't know if it's anything like the "southern" BBQ that we can get up in the Northeast, but usually there are a lot of smoked meat choices - I stick with smoked chicken or fish and avoid fattier cuts like ribs. Use sauce sparingly, and pick a few sides. Even something like collards cooked with a ham hock or bacon fat isn't going to kill you! Green beans, or even a cup of beans. All good.

Just watch your serving sizes and log as best you can. Have fun!

I bet they have smoked foods too @Queenmunchy - Something I hadn't yet thought of. - COLLARDS! Yummy! Thank you!
    Last Saturday, I had a much bigger dinner than I normally do. I had a very low cal breakfast (plain chickpeas) and a low cal lunch (2 plain hard boiled eggs). Then I worked out - burned over 400 cals. To top it off, I ate less in the week prior to bank some calories. I ate 1000 calories for dinner and was actually under my goal for the day!

I feel much more confident about approaching social situations now.

Thats cool @elaineamj - I'll get there! #FeelingDetermined.

• tillerstouch
    tillerstouch Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    1 bad/high calorie dinner will not ruin a week of healthy eating!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    one night of calorie dense eating is not going to ruin your weight loss....

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    TracyYates wrote: »

YIKES @JanetYellen ! I'll have to make a call to the place and be sure that they DON'T do that. Thanks for sharing!

Sauce on the side @sheermomentum - Always wise! I'm thinking pork tonight. I wonder how bad Brunswick Stew is??

sweetheart.... ive lost 80 pounds. go eat your **** dinner, log it and start back up tomorrow.

one meal is not going to do damage. trust me. go look at my diary. i eat all kinds of crap and STILL lose.

and this southern girl is not going to turn down a good pork bbq. if it aint pork, it aint bbq.....
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

My grandma used to save bacon fat to make the bb beans. I certainly hope that restaurants do not do that. I wonder if they do.
    1 cup of bacon fat and 1 cup of brown sugar.

Are you actually going to call a restaurant and ask them if they save bacon fat to make baked beans? As if that is a bad thing? That sounds amazing...

• GUARDiAN_GUiLD
    GUARDiAN_GUiLD Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    If there's brisket and it's Texas-style, a la Hoggly Woggly's, I'm gonna say F the entire day. I'm eating everything.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    OP your enthusiasm is admirable, believe me, we've all been there. But in order to not drive yourself crazy, you need to get a little perspective. One dinner is not going to ruin your progress or set you back, no matter how much weight you have to lose. There are several strategies listed already in this thread, or there is also great advice in this one:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10213155/a-guide-to-going-out-to-eat/p1

Review the menu ahead of time. Look to see if they list calorie counts on their website. If not, look in the MFP database for something similar. A chain BBQ place like Smokey Bones, Famous Daves, or Dickies should have listings that should be relatively close to what you'd find in the place you are going. That will give you an idea of what might fit into your calories for the day. Do some extra exercise today. Eat a lighter breakfast/lunch. In the future, bank some calories in the days leading up to it. Drink plenty of water. Expect to see a temporary increase on the scale from water retention. Do not be alarmed. Eat it, enjoy it, log it, and move on.

This is a lifestyle change and meals out are going to happen, as are birthdays, holidays, and other special events. Learning how to take these in stride and accept that they are meant to be enjoyed, not stressed about, is an important part of being successful on MFP.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    For BBQ honestly I just save my calories and go for a half rack, veggies, and cornbread. It's usually around 900 calories but it depends a lot on the size of the rack. Love corn bread so I always make room for it.

But yeah smoked meat, sauce on the side, and veggies, definitely.
  • acheben
    acheben Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Since you're in Georgia, the odds of finding unsauced pulled pork are extremely low, but they should have smoked chicken or turkey. I would just save some calories and go for the pulled pork or sausage with green beans or baked beans and cornbread. Because southern barbecue is delicious and I don't eat it often.

Hot damn, I miss Daddy D'z in Atlanta...
  • elaineamj
    elaineamj Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    If there's brisket and it's Texas-style, a la Hoggly Woggly's, I'm gonna say F the entire day. I'm eating everything.

LOL - I just spent a week in Austin and got an education in brisket. We even visited Lockhart and went on a BBQ crawl - visited 3 spots that day and just about crawled out of town. Even my "lean meat only" DH decided moist brisket was so very much better!

• ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    Yikes. Heading out with friends to a family owned Southern BBQ place. WHAT can I eat that's not high in calories? #Worried

All the proteins!! with little or no sauce of course.

Greens, meats, beans, etc. Sounds yummy, have fun!!
  • TracyYates
    Options

Ha @GUARDiAN_GUiLD - My kind of guy! :) EAT UP!
  • TracyYates
    Options

sweetheart.... ive lost 80 pounds. go eat your **** dinner, log it and start back up tomorrow.

one meal is not going to do damage. trust me. go look at my diary. i eat all kinds of crap and STILL lose.

and this southern girl is not going to turn down a good pork bbq. if it aint pork, it aint bbq.....

WAY TO GO @sheermomentum !!! I could learn some things from you! - I've lost 11 and ohhhh - about 56 more to go!