Southern BBQ out tonight. HELP!

Options
2»

Replies

• TracyYates
    TracyYates Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    OP your enthusiasm is admirable, believe me, we've all been there. But in order to not drive yourself crazy, you need to get a little perspective. One dinner is not going to ruin your progress or set you back, no matter how much weight you have to lose. There are several strategies listed already in this thread, or there is also great advice in this one:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10213155/a-guide-to-going-out-to-eat/p1

Review the menu ahead of time. Look to see if they list calorie counts on their website. If not, look in the MFP database for something similar. A chain BBQ place like Smokey Bones, Famous Daves, or Dickies should have listings that should be relatively close to what you'd find in the place you are going. That will give you an idea of what might fit into your calories for the day. Do some extra exercise today. Eat a lighter breakfast/lunch. In the future, bank some calories in the days leading up to it. Drink plenty of water. Expect to see a temporary increase on the scale from water retention. Do not be alarmed. Eat it, enjoy it, log it, and move on.

This is a lifestyle change and meals out are going to happen, as are birthdays, holidays, and other special events. Learning how to take these in stride and accept that they are meant to be enjoyed, not stressed about, is an important part of being successful on MFP.

Fantastic @WinoGelato ! Thanks for sharing everything and thanks for that link. Seriously. I will enjoy myself tonight. I'm just feeling really motivated right now and I really want to loose loose loose.
  • TracyYates
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    For BBQ honestly I just save my calories and go for a half rack, veggies, and cornbread. It's usually around 900 calories but it depends a lot on the size of the rack. Love corn bread so I always make room for it.

But yeah smoked meat, sauce on the side, and veggies, definitely.

@Francl27 - Thanks a bunch. I'm looking forward to this meal. I just want to be sure I maintain a little control. :)
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    TracyYates wrote: »
    TracyYates wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    ummm just eat what you want, log it in, and if you go over the no big deal. OR, you can eat a little less for breakfast and lunch today …or you could get pulled/shredded chicken with BBQ sauce on the side…

I would not fret over one night of eating out ….

THANK YOU @ndj1979 - but I have weight to lose! Ha!

YIKES @JanetYellen ! I'll have to make a call to the place and be sure that they DON'T do that. Thanks for sharing!
    Skip the sauce or get it on the side if you can. Chicken (if you skip the skin) is leaner than trimmed brisket, which is leaner than pork shoulder. Approach things with mayonnaise with moderation. Good luck, and I hope you have a great time!

Sauce on the side @sheermomentum - Always wise! I'm thinking pork tonight. I wonder how bad Brunswick Stew is??

sweetheart.... ive lost 80 pounds. go eat your **** dinner, log it and start back up tomorrow.

one meal is not going to do damage. trust me. go look at my diary. i eat all kinds of crap and STILL lose.

and this southern girl is not going to turn down a good pork bbq. if it aint pork, it aint bbq.....

WAY TO GO @sheermomentum !!! I could learn some things from you! - I've lost 11 and ohhhh - about 56 more to go!

Thanks sweetie, but I think you meant to tag @callsitlikeiseeit with that one. I've only lost 40 so far. :)
  • TracyYates
    Options
    acheben wrote: »
    Since you're in Georgia, the odds of finding unsauced pulled pork are extremely low, but they should have smoked chicken or turkey. I would just save some calories and go for the pulled pork or sausage with green beans or baked beans and cornbread. Because southern barbecue is delicious and I don't eat it often.

Hot damn, I miss Daddy D'z in Atlanta...

You might have just created my dinner plate tonight @acheben ! Pulled Pork, Green Beans, and baked beans - and a cold glass of water with a lemon slice. YUM! But then theres the brunswick stew. It's sooooooooo good! I don't know Daddy D'z. I'm headed to Southern Pit BBQ in Griffin, Ga. - Best I've ever had. - THANK YOU!
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    I usually avoid the sides and go for leaner cuts - turkey, chicken...I'll have some brisket, too.
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Look for lean protein. Grilled chicken or a small ribeye or broiled fish or even a naked veggie patty. Then order 2 orders of steamed non-starchy veggies. Need a starch? Order a corn on the cob or a plain baked or sweet potato and eat half. Forgo bread, sauces, grill baste, butter, and desserts. Drink water. You can do this!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    cbelc2 wrote: »
    Look for lean protein. Grilled chicken or a small ribeye or broiled fish or even a naked veggie patty. Then order 2 orders of steamed non-starchy veggies. Need a starch? Order a corn on the cob or a plain baked or sweet potato and eat half. Forgo bread, sauces, grill baste, butter, and desserts. Drink water. You can do this!

I have never been to a Southern BBQ place that has a plain veggie patty as an option. I mean, maybe this is a thing. But I've never seen it.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

I have never been to a Southern BBQ place that has a plain veggie patty as an option. I mean, maybe this is a thing. But I've never seen it.

Right. Most BBQ places that I am familiar with wouldn't even have steak or grilled chicken on the menu either, definitely not broiled fish and veggie patties. Plus many of the sides may also have meat in them: ham hock in the green beans, bacon or brisket in the baked beans, etc.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Right. Most BBQ places that I am familiar with wouldn't even have steak or grilled chicken on the menu either, definitely not broiled fish and veggie patties. Plus many of the sides may also have meat in them: ham hock in the green beans, bacon or brisket in the baked beans, etc.

Yep, I had a work team event at a BBQ place last year and none of the vegetable sides were even vegetarian. The lacto-ovo vegetarian in the group and I had little side salads (she had biscuits too).
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options

good luck finding a veggie patty in a southern kitchen ;) LOLOL

if its pulled or chopped pork, its likely not too bad calorie wise (at least if its a vinegar sauce which is the only right way to do it). thye may or may not have grilled chicken (depends on the place).

as far as veggies go.... hmmmm.... greens (might be cooked with bacon fat but thats what makes them good).... corn on the cob (or just not creamed). mean lots of other sides but .... thats going to be it for traditional 'real' veggies. otherwise youre in mac and cheese and potato salad territory.

just go. enjoy. its one meal. not a biggie.
  • atiral
    atiral Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Sliced turkey and the pinto beans
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

If I went to a BBQ place that offered broiled fish or veggie patties, I'd turn right around and walk out, lol! Any decent BBQ restaurant is most likely going to offer some combination of pork ribs, brisket, pulled pork and maybe chicken as the meat entrees. Steak and fish, as much as I love them both, aren't BBQ. Steamed veggies or baked potatoes most likely aren't going to be on the sides menu either - more likely green beans, mac n cheese, bbq beans (hopefully with meat drippings in them), slaw, maybe corn on the cob.
  • ridge4mfp
    ridge4mfp Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Wow. No offense, but you really need an education in southern BBQ.
  • mattkdawson
    mattkdawson Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I think if you stay away from the bread and soda you will be fine. Here in texas, you order BBQ by the pound at places like this. I'll get a few pieces of smoked turkey or chicken and a few of brisket, maybe a side of corn or something.

I think the bread is the killer there. avoid and you will be fine