FitBit Charge HR users - logging stationary biking?

Options
So, I'll keep it simple - I have a Charge HR. I recognize because my arms don't swing when I stationary bike, the HR doesn't track steps, which means I probably need to log my exercise manually.

So, even though I'm stating the obvious; what I've been doing is manually entering my exercise into MFP. Is this correct? Should I record the start and stop times as well (hit the button on the side of the Charge when I start / stop the activity)? Should I enter the activity into the FitBit account, and not MFP? I'm guessing it's a "no" to these last two questions, but I wanted to double check.

Thanks in advance! Yes, I read the FitBit Charge HR FAQ, but I just wanted to double check I was doing everything right.

Replies

• donutbears
    donutbears Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    When I do spin I hit the button to record the activity because the calorie burn is a better estimate than MFP. If during your sync your biking doesn't show up on MFP the manually enter. I notice that if you record with the fitbit then manually enter in mfp it will create a duplicate record in fitbit. I simply delete the extra record from mfp.
  • wpoveromo
    wpoveromo Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Same question, and yes I've read it as well. Can't believe this is that complicated.

Many people still want to use MFP to log cardio for several reasons. MFP already has a history of cardio activity, MFP is much more granular in tracking activities, FitBit open does not track EVERY exercise.

So, if we want to still use MFP as the end-all-be-all for logging, how do we ensure FitBit isn't duplicating?

I get on a treadmill for 30 minutes and log it into MFP. How do I ensure Fitbit isn't duplicating calories since it to is counting my calorie burn since I'm wearing it.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    DrEnalg wrote: »
    ...hit the button on the side of the Charge when I start / stop the activity...

Yes... That's how it works isn't it?

Log it in Fitbit, allow that to reconcile with the Fitbit data as you may get some false positives.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I always hit the button on my Charge HR and use the workout results calculated. Even though it doesn't count my steps (unless I place my hand on my leg) it does give me a fairly accurate calorie burn due to logging my hr during the workout. Especially the longer or more intense sessions (as opposed to when I hop on the bike for a warmup to another workout).