Over 40, not sleeping, damned hormones

Options
I'm 44, but when I hit 40 I stopped sleeping...the good REM sleep I need. I used to sleep through earthquakes, and now one sound and I'm awake. Usually it's really bad one week out of the month, which makes me suspect hormones. I do take a magnesiusm/potassium supplement before bed to aid in recovery, but I know sleep is important. I'm not wanting to take melatonin, but wondered what others are doing....I know my body will release cortisol which will not allow me to lose much weight. Other than naps, I don't know what else to do.

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I hear you. I had years of crappy sleep. From about 43 this year (50). In the end, for me, reducing carbs a bit helped with my symptoms overall, and bio-identical progesterone just before bed (about 25mg) helps me sleep. My sleep has been much much much improved.

Good luck finding what works for you!

And... join us here:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/506-near-or-post-menopausal-group
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I go through periods where I just can't sleep, two years ago my lack of sleep was at it's worst. My doctor found nothing wrong and suspected it was stress, so told me to try some relaxing techniques. Aside to that I also tried things that family and friends suggested:
    -eat plain rice before bed
    -warm milk
    -Benedryl
    The Benedryl worked great, so long as I took it no longer than 30 minutes before bed.
  • ctg492
    ctg492 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Sleep the illusive Sleep. Stress for two years just about did me in, then the bad sleep patterns just take hold and it is so hard to change, toss on change of life :/ and 4 dogs that wander house and then decided to go out at all hours of the night. A month ago I made a plan to change. I had too and I have stuck to it. I stopped letting dogs out at their every whim at night. Wow that was a huge help. I set my Vivoactive to 9-4 sleep. Turned off all bells and buzzers on phone. Nothing to drink a few hours before 9. The most change I did was Stay in bed when I wake up anytime through the night. Getting up and reading, letting dogs out or having coffee or tea at 2am was a terrible habit to break.
    I wish you luck I know how hard it is. I feel after a life time of poor sleep the Vivoactive put my sleep patterns in my face and forced me to change. I am not saying I sleep all night, but being aware and making change has really helped.

Side note: Melatonin I took years ago, after time period I had terrible dreams. I read this was a possible side effect.
  • TenaciousTAZ
    TenaciousTAZ Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the feedback! At least I know I'm not alone!
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    How's your training schedule? Do you take adequate rest days, do you include deload periods/back off periods of lower intensity? Or are you all-go, all the time?

Have you been in a prolonged calorie deficit? If yes, do you employ strategic refeeds?

Do you limit screen time (any device/technology with a back lit screen) to 1 hour before bedtime?

Do you limit light sources (led, etc) so you have a truly darkened room at night?
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    I experienced sleeplessness during peri menopause. Since I had a new baby and did hospice for my mother concurrently there were lots of potential 'reasons' but in the end it felt hormonal. I finally gave up. I read novels. Then after a night or two of that and a couple of naps I would sleep better again. I don't mean to pooh pooh your concerns, but we live in a society where we medicalize everything.
    I didn't want the janky sleep drugs that cause other potential problems. I sleep like a normal person again, but shorter than before. I feel normal.
  • ChristinaOrr65
    ChristinaOrr65 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Exercise can help to regulate your hormones, such as cortisol. Have you been working out at all? If not, maybe that could be the answer without having to take anything. You may find this helpful https://www.myliporidex.com/blog/optimize_natural_hormonal_production_through_training/
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    Options
    I hear you. I had years of crappy sleep. From about 43 this year (50). In the end, for me, reducing carbs a bit helped with my symptoms overall, and bio-identical progesterone just before bed (about 25mg) helps me sleep. My sleep has been much much much improved.

Good luck finding what works for you!

And... join us here:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/506-near-or-post-menopausal-group

Ya, I take Prometrium for two weeks out of the month and definitely sleep more soundly with it.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    I'm 44, but when I hit 40 I stopped sleeping...the good REM sleep I need. I used to sleep through earthquakes, and now one sound and I'm awake. Usually it's really bad one week out of the month, which makes me suspect hormones. I do take a magnesiusm/potassium supplement before bed to aid in recovery, but I know sleep is important. I'm not wanting to take melatonin, but wondered what others are doing....I know my body will release cortisol which will not allow me to lose much weight. Other than naps, I don't know what else to do.

Why not take melatonin? Our bodies make less of it as we age. The sublingual kind works best (and fastest) for me. http://www.iherb.com/Source-Naturals-Melatonin-Orange-Flavored-Sublingual-1-mg-100-Tablets/24650
  • kshama2001
    Options
    jimmmer wrote: »
    How's your training schedule? Do you take adequate rest days, do you include deload periods/back off periods of lower intensity? Or are you all-go, all the time?

Have you been in a prolonged calorie deficit? If yes, do you employ strategic refeeds?

Do you limit screen time (any device/technology with a back lit screen) to 1 hour before bedtime?

Do you limit light sources (led, etc) so you have a truly darkened room at night?

Yes, important sleep hygiene issues to consider.

I use Macks Ear Seals Ear Plugs with Removable Cord

71zNrPtVdnL._SX522_.jpg

and Eclipse Samara Blackout Energy-Efficient Thermal Curtain Panels. It's like Dracula's lair in here :D
  • TenaciousTAZ
    Options
    Exercise can help to regulate your hormones, such as cortisol. Have you been working out at all? If not, maybe that could be the answer without having to take anything. You may find this helpful https://www.myliporidex.com/blog/optimize_natural_hormonal_production_through_training/

I exercise 5-6 times a week, but when I don't sleep I force myself to take a rest day, since I know it really isn't effective.
    kshama2001 wrote: »

71zNrPtVdnL._SX522_.jpg

and Eclipse Samara Blackout Energy-Efficient Thermal Curtain Panels. It's like Dracula's lair in here :D

71zNrPtVdnL._SX522_.jpg

71zNrPtVdnL._SX522_.jpg

71zNrPtVdnL._SX522_.jpg

71zNrPtVdnL._SX522_.jpg

71zNrPtVdnL._SX522_.jpg

71zNrPtVdnL._SX522_.jpg

71zNrPtVdnL._SX522_.jpg

71zNrPtVdnL._SX522_.jpg

• benboyd85
    benboyd85 Posts: 60 Member
    Options

How much magnesium are you taking? Along with recovery, it can aid in producing more restful and deep sleep and most people do not get nearly enough, even with supplements. I have trouble sleeping and when I was on a higher dose there were mornings I actually slept through my alarm - which has NEVER happened to me!
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    Lifting heavy puts me to sleep. Also I just installed block out shades --best sleep ever.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    WOW!!! I am 44 and the past 2 nights I have woke up at 2am!!!, So I head out and walk in the dark. I HATE being perimenopausal!!! But exercise does help me!, If I could get rid of the ANXIETY that I have never had in my whole life, I would be laughing!,, WHY NOW>>>>??? I WANT To BE 20 AGAIN!
  • 1mumrevolution
    1mumrevolution Posts: 269 Member
    Options

Interested in this. Can you elaborate jimmmer? I'm a terrible sleeper, eating at a prolonged deficit and am all go, go, go with only one lightly active rest day.
    Thanks.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options

Interested in this. Can you elaborate jimmmer? I'm a terrible sleeper, eating at a prolonged deficit and am all go, go, go with only one lightly active rest day.
    Thanks.

1) Basically, for reasons of hormonal balance (and mental sanity) you need to have a few days eating at your maintenance levels every so often when on a long cut.

And the leaner you are, i.e. the less weight you have to lose, the more frequent these refeeds need to be.

This post is an excellent description of this:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/35229883/#Comment_35229883

2) The other point, the training schedule:

How are your training session structured? Are you following some sort of recognised programming? Such schedules typically weave together volume frequency and intensity in such a way to allow you to continue to progress and simultaneously allow for adequate dissipation of accumulated fatigue (an unavoidable side-effect of training). Many people who throw together their own schedules don't allow for dissipation of fatigue - it's accumulation can actually prevent you from achieving the levels of sleep necessary and eventually lead to further fatigue. You can be so bone-tired that you are unable to sleep satisfactorily.

It may be possible that your training schedule builds fatigue to the point that you eventually can't sleep, the periods of non-sleep impact your workouts, you are forced to ramp down the intensity (perhaps unknowingly) and you recover enough to resume your previous sleep schedule. It's supposition, of course, but something to look at...
  • TenaciousTAZ
    Options

How much magnesium are you taking? Along with recovery, it can aid in producing more restful and deep sleep and most people do not get nearly enough, even with supplements. I have trouble sleeping and when I was on a higher dose there were mornings I actually slept through my alarm - which has NEVER happened to me![/quote]

I take a dose here and there along with potassium which does help me sleep and aids in muscle recovery. I just hate that I wake up and can't go back to sleep.
  • TenaciousTAZ
    Options
    I do allow myself "down" days and although I want to train hard everyday, I know my lack of sleep is disturbing (LOL Darth) so I will force myself to nap and not workout if I don't get adequate rest.
  • ShapingTheLaw
    ShapingTheLaw Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I've been struggling for about 6 years with insomnia. I've done it all. I've seen sleep soeciaoists, lost 40+ lbs., etc. I fall asleep easily but wake up several times in the middle of the night. About 3 years ago, I waa diagnosed with hypothyroidism. I take meds for it. Apparently, insomnia is a symptom of hypothyroidism. I'm due for an overnight sleep study. I feel your pain. You know when the world saw the extreme things Michael Jackson did to try to take care of his insomnia, I totally empathized. It can make you crazy at times. Hang in there. You are not alone.
  • 3AAnn3
    3AAnn3 Posts: 3,055 Member
    Options
    I stopped sleeping well when I had kids. I feel you! Sleepy time tea is sometimes helpful for me.