"You'll Never Get A Man To Love You, Cause You're FAT."

Options
What do you think about that sentence ? Obviously, everyone has some type of fetish, and people sometimes act on those fetishes. I comprehend people will take that sentence and motivate them into a healthy lifestyle. But WHY did it have to be THAT? Why couldn't it be those jeans out of nowhere that stopped zipping and buttoning up ? Why couldn't it be that trip to Six Flags with friends, and you were unable to fit on Bizzaro ? Why couldn't it be, you were swimsuit shopping, and your normal size became too small ?

You can fix fat, and you can fix ugly. But you sure as heck can't change another persons stupidity.

Replies

• Rachel0778
    Rachel0778 Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    That is a disgusting and stigmatizing sentence that has no basis in reality. There are many men who are physically attracted to and love fat women. And not because they have a fetish, but because they are attracted to the other person just as some people are attracted to tall people or short people or brunettes.

I would be furious if my significant other only loved me because of my body size, nor would I want to be with someone who could only love me at a certain size.
  • hopeandtheabsurd
    hopeandtheabsurd Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    If thinness was the only reason I was attractive to someone, that wouldn't make for much of a lasting relationship. Weeds out a certain element that would not be attractive to me for other reasons.
  • zoomtech16
    zoomtech16 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I think Mindy said it best, "guys say this, and then they date butt models!"
  • bri170lb
    bri170lb Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    It's a lie. Any partner worth having will love you for you. What you look like will not be a priority in establishing a lasting relationship with most people.

Who ever said that to you has emotional problems that cause them to lash out to hurt you.

• tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,712 Member
    Options
    bri170lb wrote: »
    It's a lie. Any partner worth having will love you for you. What you look like will not be a priority in establishing a lasting relationship with most people.

Who ever said that to you has emotional problems that cause them to lash out to hurt you.

Exactly. Whoever said that needs to be slapped. I don't condone violence, but I'd have a hard time restraining myself at that point.
  • ElvenToad
    ElvenToad Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I had a ex boyfriend say that to me before, word for word. Years later when I ran into him again he initiated an apology to me (he remembered saying it) and told me he was high on cocaine at the time. Yeah! A real doozy! Obviously he was just trying to hurt me while we were together. And yeah words can hurt, but now I know he was just all kinds of f'ed up.

Bottom line, whoever said that to you is only saying it because they KNOW it will hurt you not because they actually believe it. It's just mean and hateful but that's how some people are.
  • julesrules611
    julesrules611 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Whoever said that to you is battling his/her own insecurities and taking it out on you.

I've always been overweight, if not obese (at my highest weight), and yet I've ALWAYS had boyfriends, girlfriends, and lovers, since I was 14 years old. I've had objectively HOT AND SEXY PARTNERS, skinny guys, athletic guys, etc. The idea that fat girls can't find love is a huge lie told by the media and perpetuated by society to bring women down. I'm living proof that it simply isn't true.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    It's not only an *kitten* of a thing to say, it's completely untrue. Also untrue is that a guy would need a fetish to love someone who was fat. People love people for as many reasons as there are people. My husband fell in love with me fat, loved me even fatter and still loves me at a far lower weight than he ever saw me.

Someone who would dsay that deserves to be discounted completely. They are at best bitter and misguided and at worst malicious and rude.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    What a crock. I speak from experience. A lot of men don't care about your size, and not just the ones with a fetish.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    My mother used to say things like this to me (replace "man" with "woman"), albeit not with the implied hostile tone. It was more of a nagging, "worried about you" kind of tone.

She was projecting her own insecurities onto me.