Self sabotage with baking

Options
I love to bake. My family loves my baking. It's so hard to be around family and NOT bake. Right now my mom would like me to make her some snickerdoodle cupcakes. And I want to because she's gotten really thin lately. lost 7 pounds being sick and needs to get back to a healthy weight. Sigh... will try not to bake! Will make her a protein shake with some peanut butter instead.

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Baking is one of the things my granddaughter and I love to do together. I bake and give it away.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Why are you stopping yourself from doing the things you love? There's nothing wrong with loving to bake. I love baking too. You know what I do? I work it into my calorie goal and exercise some moderation. If you make 6 cupcakes, eat 1 and share the other 5. If you make a dozen cookies, work in 1 or 2 and share the rest.

Sustainability, not deprivation.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Here's a tip that I do. When I am baking I fill the sink with soapy water. I clean up as I go and I am not tempted to "lick the spoon."
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I really don't bake anymore and I used to really love it. But it's OK, I'm in the gym more and I try not to think about it ...
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Baking is one of the things my granddaughter and I love to do together. I bake and give it away.

This ^

I will make half a recipe or bring stuff to work - anything to keep it out of the house.
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    Options
    I love to bake; it's one of my hobbies, I find it relaxing and it's my primary creative outlet. I would go crazy if I let my desire to be fit and healthy come between me and something that I enjoy that much. I still bake all the time, but I generally share what I bake and/or freeze what I do not want to immediately eat. That also has the benefit of ensuring that I always have a sweet treat in the freezer for dessert when I want to work something into my daily deficit.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    I gave up baking when I tried low carb several years ago. It's not worth giving up something you love to do, especially when you don't have to. I bake frequently. I eat the cookie dough, I eat the cookies. I eat it all. I also count the calories (unless it's holiday time), and work them into my overall goal.

It can be done!
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    My husband and I both love baking. I just make it fit into my calories. That may mean only eating 1 cookie each day instead of four or having half a brownie instead of a whole one, but I still get to eat it. You could also try making smaller recipes (half or third) so the temptation isn't around as long.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i bake all the time (well, during the holidays). my neighbor loves it cause she gets most of it LOLOL
  • scyian
    scyian Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I love baking. I've just stopped baking so much for me. I gift a lot of mine now and I've just made my MIL a birthday cake (house smells of chocolate cake now mmmmm). If I bake for home I know my husband will eat more than me. I just portion out mine so I don't go over my calories.

I find I can cut back on a lot of the sugar in many recipes and not notice the difference too. Check recipes and you may find you can freeze some batches or just make half the amount.
  • Rachel0778
    Rachel0778 Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    It makes me sad that you don't want to do something that you and your family love because of a diet. I love the ideas of having the sink filled with water for dirty dishes and planning ahead to have 1 after. I also make sure I bake right after a meal so I'm not hungry and I often chew on mint gum to reduce mindless grazing. I'd much rather enjoy the finished product!
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    Baking was a big downfall with me, too, but only because I ate most of what I baked and I baked something at least once a week. Now, I bake for certain occasions and try not to eat it all.
  • alittlelife14
    alittlelife14 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Baking and not succumbing to the desire to go nuts on what you made is absolutely a struggle for many. I try to just avoid it, or bake with someone around so I feel less comfort in just going ham on it. I chew gum during it too.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    Another vote for "Bake and give away." I like to bake on Fridays because I see my family on the weekend and give a lot of it to them.
  • sunandmoons
    sunandmoons Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Fit it into your calorie allotment. You have to take ownership of yourself. So yes, you can have your cake and eat it too...in moderation.
  • keepupwithjack
    keepupwithjack Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I love to bake too, and my 4 year old son loves to help me. My hubby and I have a "cheat night" where we go out to eat (and eat what we want within reason) and then I bake a small batch of cookies or brownies. Enough for that evening. Then, in the morning, it's back to tracking and calorie deficits. It works well--I can turn down sweets during the week to enjoy this evening with my family.
  • laraaragon
    laraaragon Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    sarsather wrote: »
    Baking and not succumbing to the desire to go nuts on what you made is absolutely a struggle for many. I try to just avoid it, or bake with someone around so I feel less comfort in just going ham on it. I chew gum during it too.

Yeah. This is my problem. It's a slippery slope for me with sweets.
  • ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Here's a tip that I do. When I am baking I fill the sink with soapy water. I clean up as I go and I am not tempted to "lick the spoon."

I chew a mint or gum while I'm cooking to keep me from "tasting" half the batch. I was baking trays of goodies twice a week for get-togethers, which really put my willpower to the test.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I love to bake; it's one of my hobbies, I find it relaxing and it's my primary creative outlet. I would go crazy if I let my desire to be fit and healthy come between me and something that I enjoy that much. I still bake all the time, but I generally share what I bake and/or freeze what I do not want to immediately eat. That also has the benefit of ensuring that I always have a sweet treat in the freezer for dessert when I want to work something into my daily deficit.

Yes. My freezer has become very full thanks to this.

Pro tip - does not work as well with foods that are still tasty frozen :tongue: