How to tell MFP that I'm fasting?

Options
Didn't know where to put this, so it's in this group.

Occasionally I fast wherein I only consume water, sometimes a little coffee and maybe tea. My fasts can be anywhere from 1-3 days consecutive. Problem is that MFP doesn't count a day of water-only as a logged day and I lose my logging streak count.

What should I enter on these days wherein I only have water?

Replies

• ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    1g of celery?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    nothing
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    You're logging steak has nothing to do with number of logged meals; it's how many days you have logged into the app in a row. I have noticed some discrepancies between the app and website, so there may be a bug.
  • jaybird180
    jaybird180 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    You're logging steak has nothing to do with number of logged meals; it's how many days you have logged into the app in a row. I have noticed some discrepancies between the app and website, so there may be a bug.

Please elaborate.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    jaybird180 wrote: »
    auddii wrote: »

Please elaborate.

All you have to do for your streak is log into the app or the website. Sometimes there may be a bug where you do log in and it doesn't count, but that's rare (I've had it happen once in two years). But you don't have to log any food/complete your diary for your streak to count.
  • Miss_Mabee
    Miss_Mabee Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I take time away from calorie counting to practice intuitive eating almost once a month, I still login to the app to track my weight and check out the forums but log no food and it still works towards my streak
  • SarahIluvatariel
    SarahIluvatariel Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Miss_Mabee wrote: »
    I take time away from calorie counting to practice intuitive eating almost once a month, I still login to the app to track my weight and check out the forums but log no food and it still works towards my streak

Sorry to derail the topic, but @Miss_Mabee, I love this idea of practicing intuitive eating. Do you have a strategy or method you generally use for it? How long do you "go off the grid" for when you do that?

Back on topic... Could you just "quick add" one calorie? But I agree with most posters here - as far as I've noticed, the streak is based on simply logging in. If you're referring to when you "complete" your daily food and exercise logging, then I don't know, since I don't use that feature....
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    As long as you log in you will get credit, Most days I log nothing and I still get days logged in.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I don't think MFP is set up for fasting. Not eating is a big red flag for an ED.

^^THIS!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    What's the philosophy behind regular 3 day fasts then?
  • SarahIluvatariel
    SarahIluvatariel Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Miss_Mabee wrote: »
    @sarahlluvatariel - I eat slow. I start by taking a smaller portion than I usually do and eating it slowly and paying attention to my meal. No tv/computer etc. Just some music. I pay attention to when I am actually full and stop. Put the rest aside for when I am hungry again. I find I feel full on less food when I eat focused on my meal.

Its so simple but I found with calorie counting I stopped paying attention to my normal body cues and if I ever want to live without calorie counting then I need to learn to listen to my body again.

I do it up to a week at a time. Recently I did it for about 4 months and was losing weight without worrying about tracking. Now im trying to find a balance by writing down what I eat but not putting it into the tracker until the end of the day. That way I dont just eat because I have calories "left to use up" lol

@Miss_Mabee, Very interesting! I appreciate you sharing! I do agree that eating in peace and quiet helps me recognize hunger/fullness more. It's nice to simply enjoy what you're eating, too! Instead of thinking about whatever else is going on.

I find, too, that if someone interrupts me (mostly at work) when I'm eating a sweet/chocolaty snack, it "ruins it" for me because I don't get to actively think about enjoying it. I get sad and irritated afterwards and I wish I had my treat back so I could do it over. ...why didn't I just put it down at the first sign of a person and not pick it up again until after they leave my office? :confused: Something I need to work on. :wink:
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    I don't log my food in MFP (I use a different app for food logging) and I don't lose my streak.