Which is the better choice in bread?

Options
I have a problem with metabolic syndrome so I have been cutting carb intake and trying to do a primal type diet. I have changed my diet and given up most starchy carbs but I'm having trouble with giving up bread completely. I like having a piece of toast with breakfast and it is usually my only grain or starchy carb for the day. I want to make it the best choice in breads but I'm getting confused as to what that is. Is it better to eat gluten free bread or sprouted grain bread? I'm thinking the sprouted grain bread would have a slower insulin response than gluten free bread or am I wrong? Any suggestions on which brands to buy?

Replies

• Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Bread is bad, but if you must do it, then Paleo Bread for sure.
  • keepupwithjack
    keepupwithjack Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I've always heard that the only reason you need gluten free bread (or anything else) is if you have celiac disease or a gluten allergy.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I have a problem with metabolic syndrome so I have been cutting carb intake and trying to do a primal type diet. I have changed my diet and given up most starchy carbs but I'm having trouble with giving up bread completely. I like having a piece of toast with breakfast and it is usually my only grain or starchy carb for the day. I want to make it the best choice in breads but I'm getting confused as to what that is. Is it better to eat gluten free bread or sprouted grain bread? I'm thinking the sprouted grain bread would have a slower insulin response than gluten free bread or am I wrong? Any suggestions on which brands to buy?

So your treatment plan is to lose weight and get active and you're choosing a low carb approach which has been proved effective for some

This does not mean you are celiac, or have any form of gluten intolerance ...have you been diagnosed with gluten issues too? Probably not I would imagine because this is a common misconception

The good news is you should choose whichever bread you most like...carb values are not that dissimilar and calories are in a range...personally for toast my favourite is white farmhouse
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    gluten or no gluten has nothing to do with anything where your issues are concerned. if you aren't allergic to gluten, there's no need for gluten free anything.

pumpernickel, whole grain (that would include the sprouted grain), and sourdough would be your best options for lower GI breads. They are all below 100.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,952 Member
    Options
    If you are not supposed to eat starches... then no type is a good choice. But I'm not familiar with the syndrome.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I would imagine sprouted grain is better, but that's because I've heard glutton free bread is pretty horrible. Have you discussed your diet with a registered dietician about your condition and eating plans?

Many people who are diabetic don't have to give up grains entirely. If you're going to chit everything except a slice of toast for breakfast, I'd just make sure it's something you enjoy. I doubt one piece of today would undo the rest of your day.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    If you are not supposed to eat starches... then no type is a good choice. But I'm not familiar with the syndrome.

It depends on what risk factors of the syndrome you have...in and of itself it isn't a disease; it's the name for a group of risk factors. To be diagnosed with metabolic syndrome you would have at least 3 of 5 of the risk factors; abdominal obesity, high triglycerides, low HDL, hypertension, and high fasting blood sugar.

When I started out a few years ago I was abdominal obesity (borderline), high triglycerides, low HDL, and hypertension. I basically "cleaned" up my diet to include way more veggies, whole grains, lean protein, and healthy fats and dumped about 40 Lbs...I credit this as well as regular exercise to lowering my triglycerides to normal levels and raising my HDL to normal/optimal levels. I'm still hypertensive, but my blood pressure is slightly below normal with meds (118/75 on average).
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Is it better to eat gluten free bread or sprouted grain bread? I'm thinking the sprouted grain bread would have a slower insulin response than gluten free bread or am I wrong?

If it's just one slice, i wouldn't worry too much about it, especially if you eat it with other foods. Protein, fat, and fiber tend to reduce the glycemic response of carbs, according to most studies.
    To answer your question, gluten-free bread probably has a higher glycemic load, since gluten is a protein. :+1:
  • tracieangeletti
    tracieangeletti Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the answers! I have 4 of the 5 risk factors for metabolic syndrome. I have seen changes in the numbers since I've started a healthier lifestyle but there is still room for improvement. I was told that going gluten free would improve that so I stopped buying sprouted grain and went to gluten free. But a lot of them are made from rice starch and potato starch and it seems to me that would cause a surge in insulin where as sprouted grain might take longer to absorb. So I will go back to sprouted grain and maybe even try some pumpernickel and sourdough breads for variety. Really wasn't crazy about the gluten free bread anyway!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

SPROUTED GRAIN. Eat the one with the most fiber, least ingredients, and best taste. That's not going to be the GF bread.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Gluten free bread is generally lower in fibre and higher in sugar. Plus it won't be fortified. If you want to eat bread, choose sprouted.

You could also look into higher protein breads like an Atkins brand or Ezekial bread.

I'm low carb too. I would just skip the toast and stick with the bacon and eggs. It's odd not to eat bread at first but I got used to it quickly.

Best wishes.
  • namelesshere
    namelesshere Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I like a 12 grain bread that is 45 cal a slice. Tastes good, only 45 cal. Even at that a loaf lasts me so long I keep it in the freezer and just take out what I am going to eat that meal. Only takes a few minutes to completely thaw without toasting or microwaving.