1200 calorie a day meal Plan

Options
Does anyone have any great 1200 calorie a day meal plans or know a good site? Tomorrow will be my first day

Replies

• KatieCuth
    KatieCuth Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Your on it...
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Your best tool is to use this site and eat the foods you like. It won't take you long to figure out how your choices will effect your daily totals. It took me months before I could eat without running to log every morsel to see how it would effect my day. Since we are all different you will have to find your own sweet spot. . . keep in mind that if you exercise you will need to go above your 1200 calories as this is already your "net" without doing a thing.
  • Babytoy22002
    Babytoy22002 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    eatingwell.com has good meal plans based on caloric needs. they give you a reasonable plan for 7 days, and 4 weeks with several options

http://www.eatingwell.com/nutrition_health/weight_loss_diet_plans/diet_meal_plans/weight_loss_diet_meal_plan?pC=1200&pT=diet&pD=1
  • canuck_67
    canuck_67 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    why are so many people on 1200 calories a day - that seems such a small amount of intake. is it calculated somehow?
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Your on it...

She's actually asking for meal ideas I believe.

OP: I usually have oatmeal with pb for breakfast... Turkey and veggie sandwich for lunch, then lean meat cooked without added fats for dinner, with lots of veggies instead of potatoes or rice. I have fruits or greek yogurt for snacks, and try to avoid anything processed. Just some ideas.. Good luck!
  • GuilelessGal
    Options
    I think the 1200 cal/day plan really encourages people to exercise. Because if you burn 300 calories, you can eat 300 calories more that day, which would bring you to a more "normal" intake of 1500 calories.

I've been following a similar plan on Self.com and their calorie goal per day is 1500. I agree that 1200 is pretty low, so when I go over, I don't feel too bad, as long as I'm staying within 1200-1500 for the most part. Good luck!

I also find lots of great recipes on cookinglight.com
  • Dellonious1
    Dellonious1 Posts: 209
    Options
    I have been doing 1200 calories for few months and have lost 12 lbs....My doc told me 1200-1400 calories per day...
  • FrenchieCat
    Options
    I think it is based on current weight and height and how much weight one wants to lose. But yes, this site requests this information in order to compute, based on one's stated goal, how much calorie intake one should include each day. Of course, exercising increases the calorie count allowed as it include those calories burned via exercise as additional calories available for consumption.
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    I eat between 1200 and 1500 calories a day depending on how much exercise I do. A pretty typical day for me is

Breakfast: Greek yogurt with grape nuts
    Snack: Fruit
    Lunch: Salad with some sort of protein (chicken or hard boiled eggs)
    Snack: Protein bar
    After work out snack: Smoothie with a scoop of protein powder
    Dinner: Chicken or Salmon with veggies
    Snack/dessert: A bowl of cereal (usually Kashi Go Lean with 1% milk)

So far I have lost 42lbs in 3 months eating this way. I try to eat high protein and low carbs, but I also splurge and eat out or go out drinking when I want to, I just try to keep it within my calorie limit for the day.
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    I aim for 1200 calories a day, give or take 100 in either direction - I like to start with a breakfast of cream of wheat, or a fruit/protein combo, then for lunch a big salad with fake crab or shrimp or salmon (I don't do chicken, but that would work too) or maybe a sandwich, and then baked/steamed/broiled protein for dinner (I do a lot of fish, but again, chicken or lean beef/pork work too) with a big side of steamed veggies. Then I'll snack on fruit, lite popcorn, and I have to have my Skinny Cow ice cream treat (100-150 calories) every night.

For the poster who asked why so many are on 1200 calories, I can't speak for others, but I'm only 5'0", so that's what I have to do to lose... even at that, I think MFP only calculates my loss at like .3 pounds per week, so I have to exercise on top of that to get anywhere at all :-)
  • shangia
    shangia Posts: 1
    Options
    Today for my 1200 calorie my nutritionist said 3 starches, 3 friut, 2 dairy, 4 vegetables, 3 fat and 7 protein servings. Hope this helps.
  • wepst324
    wepst324 Posts: 9
    Options
    Check Dr. Oz's site - doctoroz.com - He has all kinds of information there. I also found this site:

http://www.weightlossforall.com/1200-calorie-diet-sample.htm
  • justavoice1989
    justavoice1989 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    i personally find this site to be the most helpful! i eat whatever i want, and am encouraged to work out if i plan on going out somewhere for dinner!!! =] good substitutes are; chicken, turkey patties, fish and also lettuce wrap any burgers or even sandwiches (or put the sandwich meat into a salad if its easier for you to do).

im on a 1200 calorie a day meal plan as well, im 5'5 but when i work out i find myself hard to meet the goal since sometimes it jumps to an allowance of 1700 a day lol.
  • SUPERSUE42
    SUPERSUE42 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    :laugh: I have been doing this for 5 days....and I couldn't wait to get back to my desk to log my lunch and see how I'm doing. Your post made me laugh and I felt...hey, somebody else did this. Thanks for the encouragement
  • canuck_67
    canuck_67 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    wow i must be blessed - i eat 2050 a day and still lose weight. Exercise doesn't hurt. Not in a big rush to lose weight, just move easier and feel better. I figure if I eat what I should be and move my body more everything will work out. I started at 258lbs, currently at 235 aiming for 220. I am 6' and have a quite large solid frame. I have seen losses in my neck and hip measurements, but increases to my arms, legs and chest. I guess the saying ' different strokes for different folks' really is true. I wish everyonw good luck on your journey. Remember, you are worth it.
  • tcdawley78
    tcdawley78 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I mostly eat lean meats with lots of veggies and limited starches... I love the MFP app, it makes it easier to see how much I am still allowed for the day. It makes it super easy by letting you know when you have too much fast, protein, etc... (I'm also on the 1200 calorie diet, because I have so much to lose) since March, I've lost 40 pounds without any decrease in energy (the opposite, in fact)... :-D
  • mbull
    mbull Posts: 8
    Options
    Use the my fitness diary by adding in and taking out different foods. It certainly helped me make better choices.
  • jenhanks04
    Options
    I usually do an egg and egg white for breakfast, with or without a little butter (87-100 cals) or two turkey sausages (120). Lunch is usually lean meat without bread and fruit/veg of some sort. I pick things I like for snack that aren't too high in calories and then have enough left for a dinner with my family. Dinner is always the hardest to keep the calories down because you eat with others so I really try to keep it low for breakfast and lunch.

Foods I enjoy that aren't too rediculous in calories:
    pickles
    oranges
    apples
    watermelon
    90 calorie granola bars
    some cereals
    fat free yogurt
    celery with a little peanut butter and raisens

Good Luck!
  • gralderete
    gralderete Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    @elliecolorado -- Wow! That is great! Keep up the good work! wish you nothing but the best!
  • Deeangelique
    Deeangelique Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    breakfast - kellogs raisin wheats
    lunch - a boots shapers meal such as the greek pasta salad pot or chicken and salad sandwich with a fruit bag and orange spring water
    dinner - pasta with chopped up chicken dippers and pesto with a little grated cheese, or jacket potato with a philidelphia pot and side salad or beans
    Snacks - piece of fruit (normally a plum/nectarine_ and low fat / maize crisps - pref under 100 cal, like space raiders or boots shapers crisps

If you find your portions have taken you over, just do a bit of excercise to burn off the excess, such as running up and down the stairs. I try to go to the gym and do 15mins on a cross trainer and 15 mins on a walker at 4kph at a 13 incline. But i've recently found that spring cleaning can also be a great work out, so if you're stuck for workout ideas to burn off the excess cals, get washing some windows!

Good luck :o)