Lifting weights with shoulder arthritis

Options
I am new to lifting weights but no stranger to pain and limited ROM due to arthritis in both shoulders. Right now I'm lifting 10lb dumbbells at home and am having trouble doing a variety of arm exercises due to the pain. Should I lift through the pain or am I doing more damage to my shoulder joints by doing so? Thanks to anyone who has any input on this subject.

Replies

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    for me I didnt have pain when lifting it has improved my RA,I would talk to your dr. never push through pain. can you do bodyweight exercises to build up the muscles and go from there? for me weight lifting has been a lifesaver not much pain in my shoulders now but again I didnt have the pain. maybe talk to a physical therapist as well and see if its ok. but if lifting is causing you pain or makes the pain worse I would seek the advice from a professional first
  • serenitywsu
    serenitywsu Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have a Acute calcific periarthritis, and was told hard/contact activities will either cause more damage, pain, or worsen my joints in the future. I don't know if ours is similar enough, but from experience I do what I can, if its just a tingle of pain. If its worse than that, I stop. Arthritis is inflammation and constant motion of that inflamed joint WILL make it more inflamed.
    You can do things though to help Lubricate your joints so you can increase your endurance of a motion and mobility. I take fish oil, and when my joints act up (I have an arthritis that 'happens' after receiving damage to a joint* such as jamming a finger, or smacking my knee on something* and calcium builds up in my joint causing inflammation) so I assume your type of arthritis is similar to mine. Don't let it discourage you though, constant exercise will slowly improve the pain! Things that help is making sure your joints are WARM before exercising, so wear sweaters to warm you up, or place a warm rice sock on your shoulders. If you have anymore questions I'd be glad to try and answer! I've been lifting since I was 16 and was diagnosed at 14, so I've been messing around and trying to find what works for my athletic lifestyle.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    you should never push through any pain,it can cause more damage or cause an injury.

• xickel
    xickel Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Thank you both for your input. I will ask my doctor about it, too. :)
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Just curious, what do you do for a living? Long term computer work can result in bad posture which will limit movement.
  • xickel
    Options
    I sit at a computer all day and probably don't have the best posture.
  • Packerjohn
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Try to see an orthopedic doctor that specializes in shoulders. With arthritis you often have bone spurs, plus your poor posture limits the already tight area in the shoulders where the soft tissue needs to move.
    This is a pretty good basic article:

https://www.shoulderdoc.co.uk/section/9

You might be able to do some physical therapy to help you move better.

I had what they call subacromial decompression on both shoulders. They grind off part of the bone and also remove bone spurs in the area.
  • xickel
    Options
    Thanks for the information!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    You could also try lighter weights.
  • xickel
    Options
    I felt like 10 pounds was already so light and I was thinking anything lighter wouldn't do any good but I suppose 3 or 5 pound weights is better than no weight
  • Packerjohn
    Options
    xickel wrote: »
    I felt like 10 pounds was already so light and I was thinking anything lighter wouldn't do any good but I suppose 3 or 5 pound weights is better than no weight

Do you have full, pain free range of motion without weights? If not, lowering the weights isn't really going to do any good IMO.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    xickel wrote: »
    I am new to lifting weights but no stranger to pain and limited ROM due to arthritis in both shoulders. Right now I'm lifting 10lb dumbbells at home and am having trouble doing a variety of arm exercises due to the pain. Should I lift through the pain or am I doing more damage to my shoulder joints by doing so? Thanks to anyone who has any input on this subject.

What does your dr say? Is lifting recommended with your issues? Should exercises be modified? Ask for specific instructions.
  • smurfbus
    smurfbus Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I had frozen shoulder on my left shoulder for two years (it was awfull) and when it moved to the right shoulder I started to weight lift and it started to heal. You could also try MSM and other joint friendly supplements. Start doing sitting rows if you can. Sitting kills upper back so maybe you could try standing desk. I switched to standing desk a year ago and it works fine if you move frequently.
  • Packerjohn
    edited January 2016
    Options
    smurfbus wrote: »
    I had frozen shoulder on my left shoulder for two years (it was awfull) and when it moved to the right shoulder I started to weight lift and it started to heal. You could also try MSM and other joint friendly supplements. Start doing sitting rows if you can. Sitting kills upper back so maybe you could try standing desk. I switched to standing desk a year ago and it works fine if you move frequently.

This could be helpful. An adjustable desk that allows you to sit or stand is even better.

Face pulls and band pull aparts are great for the upper back muscle structure that is impacted by poor posture:

Face pulls:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUrOLJtp-FA

Band pull aparts:
    http://www.elitefts.com/education/rehab-recovery/band-pull-apart-super-series-for-healthy-shoulders/
  • xickel
    Options
    I don't have full, pain-free ROM without weights.
    My doctor hasn't given his input yet because I haven't asked him yet, but I will on my next visit.
    Thanks for the video links and suggestions, I will definitely try the exercises.