How's my workout plan look?

Options
MNLittleFinn
MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
edited January 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
New here, and getting back into working out and getting in shape. I'm looking for some input on my workout schedule. it looks something like this:

Monday: walking 40 minutes
Tuesday: 28 minutes kettlebell routine+5minute warmup and cool down streching
Wednesday: rest/walking 40 minutes
Thursday: 28 minutes kettlebell routine+5minute warmup and cool down streching
Friday: rest/walking 40 minutes
Saturday: 35 minute Tabata HIIT routine plus warm up and cool down (routine Varies)
Sunday: rest

Every day: meet step goal on Garmin connect

Kettlebells looks like:

50sec active 10sec rest
Kettlebell swing 2 hands 2X 2 min total
Crunches 1min total
Kettlebell press each side 2X 4 min total
flutter kicks 1 min total
lateral raise each side 2X 4 min total
plank 1 min total
bent over row each side 2X 4 min total
crunches 1 min total
snatch each side 2X 4 min total
Flutter kicks 1 min total
windmill each side 2X 4 min total
Plank 1 min total

Any general input would be appreciated. I'm not a total newbe, but I am always looking for ways to improve/refine my routine. What I have is based on the time I have with work and family obligations.

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    What specifically is your goal?
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Trying to tone up. My weight is right about where I want it, so I'm trying to do some recomposition, and maybe add some muscle weight on.
  • skittlebitz
    skittlebitz Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    If you are trying to add muscle, and it is your first time really doing any form of resistance training (I wouldn't consider HIIT to be resistance training, but you are using a weight) then it's possible to do a recomposition. If you are looking for any form of muscle growth (there is no such thing as toning muscle) you will have to have progressive overload on your muscles. They will only grow if there is a new stimulus each and every time you workout.

For example:
    Week 1:
    10 squats with 50lbs

The next week I would need to either up the weight or up the number of reps I do with that weight
    Ex. 11 squats with 50lbs or 10 squats with 55lbs

Obviously this will look different for HIIT. In which you could either try to log the number of say crunches you are doing in the minute time frame and beat that for the next workout or use heavier weights as the weeks progress. Muscles are a finnicky thing, they will not change if you do not give them the stimulus to change!

Hopefully that makes a little bit of sense.

Any other questions feel free to message me! :)