Do you actually hold yourself to your caloric goal, or ...

Options

Replies

• ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I eat every delicious calorie I can, and then some.

Yassss
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I've said it before and I'll say it again.

The "winner" is the person who can eat the most delicious food and still meet his/her goals.

So much this.
  • William4MVP
    William4MVP Posts: 166 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Use it as more of an estimate especially now that I'm on a cut. I don't need it but there's days where I know I don't get enough protein
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Because exercise calories tend to be inflated, I almost never eat every single calorie. But I never get super excited about it. That sounds a little...disordered. As if someone's calorie deficit is too aggressive or they rejoice in undereating.

There's a fair number of folks here who have disordered thinking about food. Its a reality, and not surprising because dieting is something a lot of people with anorexia / bulimia / orthorexia / eating disorder not otherwise specified do.

Its also why I absolutely NEVER congratulate my friends on daily recording / not meeting their goals. I happily congratulate them on weight loss, on logging records, on exercise goals, but you're just not going to see me getting excited because someone didn't eat their calories for the day. I've been in a bad place psychologically with food, and people encouraged me to nearly kill myself. I don't want to be there, even inadvertently now with others.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    I am technically doing TDEE-20%. I think MFP is set for me to lose .5 lb or 1 lb a week and it just so happens that number is about what I want, 1520. Sometimes I'll go weeks where I'm eating 1600 a day and I don't sweat it. I don't 'eat back' exercise calories because I want to see how this TDEE thing works. I just aim for consistent exercise on a week by week basis. I tend to have problems eating at or slightly above maintenance on the weekends, so even though 1520 might be my goal my actual average over the last 3 weeks has been 1700. I think that is where a lot of people trip up, they say "oh I'm only eating 1200 a day" but forget two days where they binged to 2200 or whatever, and that will up your average. The numbers seem to be working for me. I'm as accurate in logging what I eat and what I burn as I can be. If I stop losing or the math doesn't add up anymore I'll start with 1) making sure my logging is still accurate 2) make sure I'm being honest and working hard with exercise and then 3) consider changing something up like eating less or working out more.
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I never hit the finished post so it doesn't show on my news feed. Because of some comments here, I may change my like patterns.
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    I do my best to eat all my allotted calories. Sometimes I fail, but I'm much better at it now than I was a couple of months ago. I generally don't eat back exercise calories if they're less than 500. However, I'm now allowed to bank calories over the week, so I can make up a really low day or even out a high day. For a year, I was day-to-day. It's taking me some time to get my head wrapped around week-to-week. I think I'm still too strict with myself, but I'm trying!
  • khhregister
    khhregister Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    are you kidding, i eat all my calories.

id eat all yours too, if i could.

LOLOLOL

This gave me a great laugh today!!! :):):)

I'm aiming for within ~ 100 calories of my goal calories. That's one of these large Granny Smith apples I always have in the kitchen. I figure if I'm starving I'll eat an apple and that will hold me over. And if I'm not hungry and go under by 100, I'm "banking" emergency apples for the days I really need them!
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I never close out my day. I don't need to see the in 5 weeks nonsense and I don't need comments on if I am over or under because I don't need that reinforcement. I know what I'm doing and why.

As others have said, I also never like or comment on others closed diary posts. I have a fair few people, men and women, netting way below minimums even if only allowing for 50% eating back of activity. I find that alarming and don't want to reinforce the behaviour. And soon I'll be deleting them, some have asked advice in the past and ignored it, if you ask again and ignore it again then poof! It worries me too much to see it.

And as for the "but yay extra losses if I'm way under my goal" crowd. Nope.
  • Panda_brat
    Panda_brat Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    If I am under be a bit anywhere from 10 -100 I do not worry about it. their are days I am over by similar amounts. in the end it balances out. Sometimes If i know I am going out to a big meal and i know I am going to over eat, i will bank a few extra calories the week before. I am in this for the long term. a day here or their does not make much of a difference.
  • Shana67
    Shana67 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    1300 no matter what I've added in exercise - I only go over if it's a special occasion. Like tomorrow night is a friend's birthday party. I will be well over 1300 :D
  • CinderellaDaisy
    CinderellaDaisy Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I aim to eat them all. But if I'm not to hungry I don't worry about going under because I know in the next day or two I'll make up for it. It's all a balance. However right now I'm breastfeeding so I do try to make sure I get close to my goal to make sure I'm making enough milk even when I'm not to hungry.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,063 Member
    Options
    I've said it before and I'll say it again.

The "winner" is the person who can eat the most delicious food and still meet his/her goals.

I'm a winner!!! :grin:

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I go over or under by a few hundred calories everyday. I think of it more as an average.
  • sugargrammy45
    sugargrammy45 Posts: 251 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    My calorie limit is what my doctor and I decided on and admittedly it is less than what MFP would give me. I use it as a guide but I don't go over it. Also, I NEVER eat the added calories that my exercise gives me. I do the exercises to burn off some of what I am eating daily. I just like it that way for me.
  • StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I eat every delicious calorie I can, and then some.

Same here ;)
  • angelamichelle_xo
    angelamichelle_xo Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    i dont go over by more than 50 cal.
  • johnlockwood19
    johnlockwood19 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    So far after about 21 days I've been under it most days, over it once, but not by much. I do try to not be too far under it. Working so far.
  • lindalee0315
    lindalee0315 Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I eat to maintain macros, but allow myself a little leeway. Tonight, for example, we went out to eat unexpectedly. I logged my meal and am slightly over in fat, so I will stay lower on carbs. I consider it a win if I'm within 5 grams of my macro goals. The one thing I'm super-diligent about is protein. I may flex out carbs and fat a little here and there, but protein numbers I always want to be meet.
  • Shortcake3293
    Shortcake3293 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I stay within my calorie goal and never go over or use my exercise calories. If it says I have used exercise calories, I adjust how much I eat.